Bloody Nipples

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, now that I've got your attention...

Today was our official first day Pheasant hunting with our GSP. He did surprisingly well for how stubborn he can be. Anyhow, we noticed that his nipples were bleeding. I figure it's from the tall wheat and such. He was really uncomfortable in the truck. To the point where he was sleeping standing up, resting his head on the front seat or even sleeping on his head, stinkbug style (it was really funny to see that btw). So, what do you do for that! I bought an ointment for dogs to put on it. Do you have him wear a vest all the time? Or is it not really a big deal? I figured they might eventually callus but I figured I'd ask on here before assuming.

Also, at what point do you put on boots for the dog? Or is that not really necessary either. We want to take him ice fishing but don't have a permanent house to put him in. So it's all on the ice.

Sorry for the long post....and for the ignorance. Not very knowledgeable in all things dogs...

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
His chest will get better after a couple weeks just dont hunt him again till it heals it will be a couple days if it's like my dogs. I'm not a fan of vests but never found a good one that fits well. My dogs don't where boots but I dont take them on the ice for a day. I have a GPS and a vizla. Once the snow flys we keep our walks short with plenty of time in between for them to warm up there feet.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those short hair dogs do will with vests. Skid plate type if it’s hot. Boots I guess are optional. I’d only use em if you need to. If all else fails get a lab lol

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bloody nipples are bad enough, but, my 1st English Cocker would wear the hide right off the bottom of his balls. It looked like it hurt. He'd sit in the snow to cool them off, maybe it had a numbing effect????

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
all the grass should of been soft and wet. Snow should of been soft. . I would tell that dog that he is a pussy. I have never owned a male. The females in dry crp wear the sht out of their breasts. To the point where they never grow hair again in those spots. I have never met a shorthair that felt pain, cold or heat. I always tell the story about stiching one up I put a stick in her mouth to grip for pain and she was like seriously she held her head up and each needle punch she never made a noise or a flynch. It's 1000percent on birds. German engineering no replacement. The vests r just to make the owner feel better. Good luck tommorow.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bloody nipples are bad enough, but, my 1st English Cocker would wear the hide right off the bottom of his balls. It looked like it hurt. He'd sit in the snow to cool them off, maybe it had a numbing effect????

Only one way for you (and us) to know if it has a dumbing ... er ... numbing effect! Report your finding back to the court.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
74527187-DD04-4A8A-B02E-D83A7134E9E5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Mendota skid plate - cheap/effective

- - - Updated - - -

Re snow/ice... never tried boots

I have always just chewed ice balls out from between Royce’s toes when he pulls up lame when I can’t break them by hand.

Attachments

31B66A83-2EC6-4E00-B3AE-2855DF0D24AC.jpg

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
On my 3rd and 4th GSP...never had problems with bloody nipples. I would say they should toughen up over time like Kickemup said, give it a couple days to heal. Never had any of my dogs wear boots, if taking the dogs out ice fishing I would sometimes bring an old coat or an old piece of carpet that I could throw down for them to sit/stand on. A piece of carpet rolls up nicely in a 5 gallon bucket. I did get a vest for a dog that got cut up pretty badly on barbed wire and that was mainly just so I could keep hunting him without taking a couple weeks off. Good luck

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
If taking him ice fishing you better have something for him to lay on plus some kind of jacket to put on him. He is a short hair nuff said.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skid plates work. It may take a bit of adjustment but they work. Pre season conditioning in the field really helps.

Ugly Dogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use Vaseline (if you're in to that kind of thing) No seriously use Vaseline. Just don't enjoy doing it.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This tittle to the thread was very deceiving. I got slightly excited when I read “bloody nipples”. What a why to ruin a guys day!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74