Snowblowers

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
My snowblower is a 20 year old craftsmen and getting tired. After this weekend it's time to start looking. Consumer Reports is big on Ariens and and Cub Cadet.

Cub Cadet has a new 3 stage model that is interesting to me.

Go!

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have had an MTD for probably 15 years now I’m thinking, have never had a problem with it. It started on the first pull this weekend. Haven’t done a thing to it but change the oil one time. Lol

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just looked up the 3 stage deal, it peaked my interest! Apparently there’s a couple manufacturers that have them (cub cadet / Troy built). The third stage is a small screw type auger in the center of the two main augers that breaks up wet, clumpy, or icy chunks and pulls the snow into the fan. So basically you have your main auger that pulls the snow to the center, another in the center that pulls it into the fan, and then the fan to eject it out of the chute.

- - - Updated - - -

Wonder if Lorenz makes one, lol. The only blower I own is 84” wide, 30” tall and 68 hp isn’t enough to take a full swath without stopping! And yes I had to break it out yesterday to clear out a couple drifts! That meant I had to drop the 3 point blade, hook up the tiller, move it out of the way, unhook the tiller and go back and grab the blower in the back corner or the shop. I wasn’t planning to blow snow in the middle of Oct!

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
I can attest to Arien’s quality and durability. Rock solid machines that can handle lots of snow. No experience with the Cub Cadet.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
JD, pay the high price once. Bought the 10/32 in 1997. ($2200 then). Have replace 1 drive disc, and yesterday it finally threw a belt. Couple shear pins, regular oil change and greasing. Pretty reliable for that many years.
100' driveway and 300' path up to my shop.
Ariens would be my 2ND choice.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a toro 1028 a couple years ago that I’ve been really happy with, it’s never gotten clogged or failed to blow even the heaviest and wettest crap. I also know quite a few others with toros that all like them. I like how the Toros don’t have shear pins to be breaking and replacing. I also read quite a bit on the Cubs and Arians, I think it was the Cubs that I read a lot of reviews of shear pins constantly breaking. The Ariens I just couldn’t find the one I wanted to look at around Bismarck. Overall I just felt like I read the least amount of negative reviews on Toro.

I’m generally a Honda guy but the price on those things is just ridiculous and honestly after reading quite a bit on them there seems to be a lot of clogging issues, and issues with the electric chute.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what about a honda snowblower?

Would love to have one...just can't justify the cost. They must be built for commercial use.

- - - Updated - - -

Those Cub Cadets 3-stage units have big engines....28" has 357cc. Most others have about 250.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the control panel on my Ariens had such thin metal it cracked in two places. I riveted in some thicker metal from the back.

that was lame

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Ariens 28 professional 420cc engine, That thing blows snow, very impressed so far. this will be my 3rd year with it.
My belief is go bigger then you think you need, I went way overboard but would not give it up for a second, I plow snow for a living and my stuff at home sometimes sits for a day and never had a issue tackling anything I had to do. they don't use snow gates in my neighbor hood and I never had a issue with the pile from the truck plow.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have a Honda, they are costly, but have had no problems, will really throw the snow

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Troy built 3 stage 28 inch cut. The blower is a beast. This is my 2nd winter with it. It was marked at 1299.00, but I
bought it for 20 percent off. My driveway is about 150 yards long and it takes me about an hour to blow it off. I used to use a tractor with a blade, but in heavy snow it took longer as I would have to take smaller swipes.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a Troy built 3 stage 28 inch cut. The blower is a beast. This is my 2nd winter with it. It was marked at 1299.00, but I
bought it for 20 percent off. My driveway is about 150 yards long and it takes me about an hour to blow it off. I used to use a tractor with a blade, but in heavy snow it took longer as I would have to take smaller swipes.

This is the other unit that Consumer Reports is big on....I'm looking at this unit as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Found this interesting...particularly since Cub Cadet and Troy Bilt are the only two brands to offer a 3 stage blower.

[h=1]Our Company[/h]Founded in 1932, MTD Products Inc is a worldwide leader of outdoor power equipment headquartered in Valley City, near Cleveland, Ohio. Through our facilities in North America, Europe, Asia, and Australia, we produce quality mowers, snow throwers, utility vehicles, trimmers, tillers, and more for both residential and commercial markets. Our products can be found online and across the globe in all channels of distribution including, home improvement stores, hardware stores, mass retailers, independent dealers and farm supply stores.

Our current family of brands includes Cub Cadet®, Troy-Bilt®, and Remington®, as well as Robomow®, Yard Machines®, Rover®, WOLF-Garten®, and Bolens®.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m selling my mower and walk behind Husqvarna to get a lawn tractor with a blower. That ridge the city leaves at the bottom of my two driveways really stinks to clear with a walk behind.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd get one like this.

Screen-Shot-2018-05-24-at-2.20.49-PM.png

What ever you get, make sure the motor is bigger then you think you need. Seen lots of guys buy a snow blower with a 5hp motor and you can just about throw the snow farther with a shovel.

Last edited:

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I said f it after this last snow and left it. Drove over it a few times to get the asphalt showing and called it good. It will ne gone by the end of the week.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought a toro 1028 a couple years ago that I’ve been really happy with, it’s never gotten clogged or failed to blow even the heaviest and wettest crap. I also know quite a few others with toros that all like them. I like how the Toros don’t have shear pins to be breaking and replacing. I also read quite a bit on the Cubs and Arians, I think it was the Cubs that I read a lot of reviews of shear pins constantly breaking. The Ariens I just couldn’t find the one I wanted to look at around Bismarck. Overall I just felt like I read the least amount of negative reviews on Toro.

I’m generally a Honda guy but the price on those things is just ridiculous and honestly after reading quite a bit on them there seems to be a lot of clogging issues, and issues with the electric chute.
I would rather replace a shear pin than a gearbox. Never know what hides under the snow sometimes. Ex, Dogs frozen tennis ball etc.

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought the Husqvarna from lowes about 5 years back, last winter ot started shooting oil or something out the engine and also leaking fluid like crazy out the bottom.
It stopped shifting into gears at the same time.

Im thinking its methed up something real bad. Like replace vs repair bad.

Havent had it in yet as I do have 2 other snow clearing devices, maybe 3.

One I got 13 years ago and the other 11, they both work pretty good, but the third Ive had for like 15 years but it was used model thats pushing 40 or so.
Shes not so dependable behind a shovel.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76