Liver and onions.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
So trying this at them moment, have made it several times and I have to keep telling myself, liver is good for me, liver is good for me.... cause it tastes like dirt.

Some particulars
using cast iron flat skillet
cooking onions in butter
then pulling onions and frying liver

any suggestions, I probably use pepper and himalayan salt but open to anything carb free.

- - - Updated - - -

oops meant to put in more.

beef liver is pre package supermarket crap, probably low quality but not quite walmart sale bin

I likely overcook it as it is just some gross shit until it hits the pan.

Would garlic in the onions be a mistake?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use bacon grease and fry it with the onions in the pan and DON'T over cook it.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Roll the liver in flour and cook onions with it pull both when the liver is done,personally I like mine a little overdone.Bacon grease,electric frypan @350,and a little salt and pepper.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will try the bacon grease, I think the onions take up so much room, that is why I pull them. Flour is a no go for me, almond or coconut flour maybe. I think the overcooking part may be the key. Man these slices are hard to handle, like f'n mush if you get too rough.

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fry in bacon grease, do not over cook. If there isn’t a little pink it’s over done

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use venison liver, cook bacon first and then liver and onions in bacon grease and gorge yourselves.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
guess I will try vension liver when I have access.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll only eat it one way cooked by one guy. It has to be super fresh. Like killed that day fresh. And my friend passed away a few years ago, so I don't eat it anymore. It's a camp food, not a food at home for the family. IMO

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Fry bacon in cast iron pan, take liver rolled in flour and onions and fry in the bacon grease when done take out of pan drain most of the grease and put flour in pan and make a rowe? add milk to make gravy put everything back in pan with the gravy, this makes a very good supper, we cover meshed up whole potatoes with gravy and have the liver, bacon and the onions on the the side, never any leftovers

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If Mrs. KDM makes fresh deer liver and onions...........I'll give you one of them "football" injuries if you get between me and the table. Any other liver is fish bait IMO. For deer liver, she cuts the liver in 1/2 inch slices from top to bottom and cuts the "skin" off the outside. Rolls the slices in a mixture of flour, salt, and pepper and fries them in butter. The liver MUST STAY PINK IN THE INSIDE so don't overcook it!!! The onions are sauteed in a separate pot with butter to be served on top of the liver. Unfortunately, I only get one or two meals of this per year, which is why I get "Beastly" when mama makes it. (Grin)

P.S. Mrs. KDM read this and mentioned I forgot a few things. There's a shocker. Anyway, she said to use some "season all" in the flour mixture and after the first flip of the liver you need to add some lemon juice to the pan and then finish cooking. All I know is it's GOOD GOOD GOOD when she's done.

Last edited:

GSP22366

Try par boiling in salt water for a minute before frying. Any blood or bile is removed, pat dry and prepare like the above mentioned recipes. The sharp flavors and the burps are removed. First introduced to this in deer camp by a Finlander and have done it since.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try par boiling in salt water for a minute before frying. Any blood or bile is removed, pat dry and prepare like the above mentioned recipes. The sharp flavors and the burps are removed. First introduced to this in deer camp by a Finlander and have done it since.

Interesting, how heavily does one salt the water, a cup,?

- - - Updated - - -

Add fava beans and a nice bottle of Chianti.

lol, tssshhttt, tssshhttt.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
best way to eat liver is pata style on crackers with a cold beer,guyz pan frying don't fotget a bottle of heinz catchup....f liver eat steak in my book.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 118
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76