Waterfowl Minimums

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you really get into hunting, its gonna be nearly impossible to eat everything you shoot in regular meals. i consider myself good at cooking fowl and there is no way we can or will eat everything we shoot in a year. we eat a few meals fresh within a day or two of the shoots and everything else gets frozen in our group sausage pile/bag(s). end of every season we have sausage and/or sticks made by a butcher shop and then split it up. can't tell the difference between venison and fowl sausage.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you really get into hunting, its gonna be nearly impossible to eat everything you shoot in regular meals. i consider myself good at cooking fowl and there is no way we can or will eat everything we shoot in a year. we eat a few meals fresh within a day or two of the shoots and everything else gets frozen in our group sausage pile/bag(s). end of every season we have sausage and/or sticks made by a butcher shop and then split it up. can't tell the difference between venison and fowl sausage.

This actually sounds like a good idea. My father-in-law makes a lot of snack sticks and jerky. Hmmmm...

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Been hunting ducks in southeast ND my whole life with nothing more than a shotgun,waders and a dog although not necessary. We've always jumped them off small sloughs, and creeks. Years like this year flooded field edges can be good for a sneak, duck is one of my favorite meals. Grill, or cook in a cast iron pan with some butter or bacon grease. As said earlier the key is to not overcook

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minimum you will need
24-50 dozen Dakota decoy full body geese decoys with 6 slot bags
24-50 dozen Dakota decoy floaters with 12 slot bags
4-6 king mallard mojo spinning wing decoys with storage bags
triple axle enclosed trailer
Power call Wavelength CTi carbon fiber with titanium sound board goose call
Power call Impulse CTi carbo fiber with titanium sound board duck call
DRC Cyco goose call
J. Stephens calls call
fowl_behavior_lanyards lanyard
Benelli SBE III waterfowl edition
Boss shotshells copper plated bismuth 3” #2 shells
Avian-X A-Frame blind
Hard core man cave layout blind
that should get you started but remember this is bare minimum

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minimum you will need
24-50 dozen Dakota decoy full body geese decoys with 6 slot bags
24-50 dozen Dakota decoy floaters with 12 slot bags
4-6 king mallard mojo spinning wing decoys with storage bags
triple axle enclosed trailer
Power call Wavelength CTi carbon fiber with titanium sound board goose call
Power call Impulse CTi carbo fiber with titanium sound board duck call
DRC Cyco goose call
J. Stephens calls call
fowl_behavior_lanyards lanyard
Benelli SBE III waterfowl edition
Boss shotshells copper plated bismuth 3” #2 shells
Avian-X A-Frame blind
Hard core man cave layout blind
that should get you started but remember this is bare minimum

Can I get this all at Walmart?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My advice is to find someone to take you duck hunting before you go out and spend a bunch of money on equipment. Most waterfowlers have extra equipment they can lend a newbie looking to learn the sport.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
good advice KDM,BUT its a no no to hunt mentors spot just like your fishing hole not a good idea to show someone your spot

My advice is to find someone to take you duck hunting before you go out and spend a bunch of money on equipment. Most waterfowlers have extra equipment they can lend a newbie looking to learn the sport.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member

Someone has already offered to take me with them. I'm excited to see if I even like it. I have a few friends that do it too that I have gone to for advice, they just don't live here so we can't go.

- - - Updated - - -

good advice KDM,BUT its a no no to hunt mentors spot just like your fishing hole not a good idea to show someone your spot

But I have a whole army that I'm trying to feed. Plus I just started my own waterfowl guiding service. I need a place to go!

I'm from Wisconsin.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

No argument here snow. I wouldn't take a newbie to any of my top spots until they have a couple years under their belt. It's called "paying your dues". However, learning what it's like to hunt ducks doesn't require limits or top shelf locations. Just a place to run the newbie through the paces of what's required to bag a duck. Aw Hell.... If you want to learn to duck hunt BP338, PM me and I'll get you in the field. I have everything you will need including gun and shells. Just show up (Valley City) with some warm camo clothes and a good attitude to learn. I'll wear waders and be the dog and decoy boy. Bagging a duck isn't rocket surgery.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Someone has already offered to take me with them. I'm excited to see if I even like it. I have a few friends that do it too that I have gone to for advice, they just don't live here so we can't go.

- - - Updated - - -

But I have a whole army that I'm trying to feed. Plus I just started my own waterfowl guiding service. I need a place to go!

I'm from Wisconsin.
Be careful of the "DUCK TROLLER" might be a decoy.:::

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member

Huh? You must hunt the full season of hunting every year. I wish I had your problem.

My kiddos (6 and 3) can combine to eat 4 breasts. The wife and I usually are good with 4. That means one meal we can go through 4 ducks. Limit is six daily. So I can get about six meals out of 4 limits of ducks. Note that duck is my family's favorite meal. I think we could eat it twice a week if I got out hunting more and was luckier in the field. As it is, we're usually limited to one meal a month, and that's starting eating them closer to spring during grilling season.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This actually sounds like a good idea. My father-in-law makes a lot of snack sticks and jerky. Hmmmm...
Most of my waterfowl goes into sticks and turns out great and you have no idea it is waterfowl. One year I didn’t get a deer so I took my 12# of goose and made sausage with the hunters seasoning. Best sausage of all the meat we made that year.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74