Waterfowl Minimums

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, this has been a long, drug-out debate with myself about waterfowl hunting. I haven't wanted to duck hunt because I'm not sure I'll like to eat it. I've heard A LOT of mixed reviews on cooking it and how it tastes. I just read an older forum about how someone cooks it and I feel like I might need to give it a try. Plus I have a smoker that I need to experiment with. I won't invest too much into it this year. I might not even get to go after them this year. (unless I get to go with someone to learn how to do it).

That being said, I would like to start preparing myself for next year. What are some minimums? Do you really need decoys? Do I need to start practicing calling? Do I need to buy waders and blinds? Is it ethical to just drive down the road and shoot them if you see some? My gun is will shoot the larger loads.

Total ignorance when it comes to all things waterfowl...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When I started duck hunting it was dry years so I did a lot of "jump" shooting stock ponds and flowing wells and small sloughs. Easy enough with little equipment cost. Start there and find out if you like it or not and if you like duck.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shotgun,shells, and waders is all you need to start out. I shoot them in the ditch all the time, you can also pass shoot. If you want to decoy them get a robo duck and 6 floaters and you can pile em up

- - - Updated - - -

Points going out into the slough and roads between them are great for pass shooting

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say get a few dozen field decoys and either purchase or make a blind to start. Many of us (especially North Dakotans) were taught by our fathers and grandfathers to rarely (preferably NEVER) hunt the water and to instead hunt the fields. If you hunt the water (roost), the birds will leave. Leave the roost alone, and there's a better chance they'll stay and you'll get to enjoy many more shoots.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep robo duck and a few floaters will get it done. When it comes to cooking never over medium rare ever.

food1.jpg

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep robo duck and a few floaters will get it done. When it comes to cooking never over medium rare ever.

20210426_110110.jpg

This is the picture that got me thinking!! Man that looks tempting!

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do you have a dog? If so you don't even need hip boots. Find some birds in small pot holes, stock dams or ditches and jump shoot them. Or find a small slough and locate where the birds are flying in and out and pass shoot them. You could also locate a field their feeding in the night before and get out there before sunup, lay flat on your back and chances are they will be back. You can also try to sneak into range of feeding birds. I wouldn't spend money on decoys and blinds unless you decide you like to eat them.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say get a few dozen field decoys and either purchase or make a blind to start. Many of us (especially North Dakotans) were taught by our fathers and grandfathers to rarely (preferably NEVER) hunt the water and to instead hunt the fields. If you hunt the water (roost), the birds will leave. Leave the roost alone, and there's a better chance they'll stay and you'll get to enjoy many more shoots.

This is true to an extent, but how many gadwall, teal, bluebill, redhead, canvasback, etc. have you shot over your field spread?

As great and fun as field hunting is, I don't think I would recommend it to someone starting out. It would be a sure way to have someone drop $$$ on gear and quit after 1 season.

BP338,
If you want some duck to have to try different cooking methods you can just go out and look for areas to pass shoot or jump small groups on small sloughs.

If you want to dabble more into the sport of it, get some waders, 12-24 floating decoys, a call or two. Then ask some questions related to scouting techniques and what to look for while scouting that can lead to a successful hunt. decoying ducks over water will provide you far more opportunities on the available public lands and chance to avoid high competition for the spot you would like to hunt.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was never a big fan of eating waterfowl, but I could and did choke it down. I started out quite a few years ago with nothing more than a shotgun and a pair of cheap waders. I really enjoyed putting the sneak on ducks and geese and shooting them OFF THE ROOST! Fun, fun, fun!

Then I learned to make my own decoys using just rolled tar paper. Worked reasonably well to decoy them into the fields. After a few more years, I went to white rags for snow geese and damned if that didn't also work. Yeah, the new $100 per half dozen dekes are pretty nice, but they aren't necessary to kill birds.

Another great way to hunt is to find two sloughs that are really close together and pass shoot as the birds go back and forth between them. As with any other form of hunting, you will have good days, great days, and some really shitty ones.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know about that pic,can't tell what it is on that plate,learn to I.D. your ducks,don't shoot divers unless you like gamie flavor,merganser's will stink your house up like snow geese(piss poor table fare) do when cooking,outdoor grill is your friend cooking duck/goose treats,bacon wrapped is hard to beat,love pass shooting,field decoy hunting will make your dick hard but it takes a decoy spread and the right location,bang a couple mallards for the taste test.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know about that pic,can't tell what it is on that plate,learn to I.D. your ducks,don't shoot divers unless you like gamie flavor,merganser's will stink your house up like snow geese(piss poor table fare) do when cooking,outdoor grill is your friend cooking duck/goose treats,bacon wrapped is hard to beat,love pass shooting,field decoy hunting will make your dick hard but it takes a decoy spread and the right location,bang a couple mallards for the taste test.

Its mallard that was shot out of the field that afternoon with 6 decoys and on roto duck. Its got the skin on the breast cooked for 6 minutes skin side in a medium heat cast iron. Then 3 minutes on the other side. just right at medium rare. With a black berry reduction . The skin is crispy and melts in your mouth just like a nice piece of bacon. Have dont it with lots of ducks and even snow geese and honkers just have to adjust cook time. My kid will fight for the last piece he likes the big good breast i have to finish those in the oven for a bit i like the mallards or gadwalls the best my self.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok, this has been a long, drug-out debate with myself about waterfowl hunting. I haven't wanted to duck hunt because I'm not sure I'll like to eat it. I've heard A LOT of mixed reviews on cooking it and how it tastes. I just read an older forum about how someone cooks it and I feel like I might need to give it a try. Plus I have a smoker that I need to experiment with. I won't invest too much into it this year. I might not even get to go after them this year. (unless I get to go with someone to learn how to do it).

That being said, I would like to start preparing myself for next year. What are some minimums? Do you really need decoys? Do I need to start practicing calling? Do I need to buy waders and blinds? Is it ethical to just drive down the road and shoot them if you see some? My gun is will shoot the larger loads.

Total ignorance when it comes to all things waterfowl...
At a bare minimum all a guy needs is a spinning wing decoy and waders or a way to retrieve ducks out of the water. I have shot ducks over 6 cheap floaters and I have shot ducks over a single spinning wing decoy.

A guy can also jump shoot off the road but do not bust any roosts in the process.

Calling is not necessary. All you need is a gun, shot shells, camo clothes, cheap decoys and waders/dog.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotcha,yeah late season cornfed/wheatfed ducks with skin on are a treat agreed,like the iron skillet idea,was eye balling the ninja pressure cooker with searing option,had an old lady do a couple mallards I gave her years back she did em in her old pressure cooker with skin on ,meat fell off the bone tender but skin was nasty,soft like boogers but this ninja with crisper might be the ticket for somthing new and tasty,agreed mallard,woodducks blue wing teal are great table fare done right,do you brine your birds? I use coke as a brine when we breast birds out over night then cube wrap in bacon sometime wrap with a pepper slice or better yet a slice of water chessnut grill over high heat until bacon is crisp.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotcha,yeah late season cornfed/wheatfed ducks with skin on are a treat agreed,like the iron skillet idea,was eye balling the ninja pressure cooler with searing option,had an old lady do a couple mallards I gave her years back she did em in her old pressure cooker with skin on ,meat fell off the bone tender but skin was nasty,soft like boogers but this ninja with crisper might be the ticket for somthing new and tasty,agreed mallard,woodducks blue wing teal are great table fare done right,do you brine your birds? I use coke as a brine when we breast birds out over night then cube wrap in bacon sometime wrap with a pepper slice or better yet a slice of water chessnut grill over high heat until bacon is crisp.

No not those ones i have brined others. Those were shot on saturday and me and the boy plucked the breast and cooked them that night didnt eat till about 10:30 but was worth it.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mallard marinated, wrapped in bacon and grilled is pretty darn good. Canadian geese make somewhat edible jerky. The rest are for the cats IMO.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you located at you are more then welcome to come with me can’t guarantee limits but you will get some shooting in. I am in Williston

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
As others have previously stated, all you need is a gun, blue box steel, waders, and half dozen deeks. Killed alot of ducks with just that

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Where are you located at you are more then welcome to come with me can’t guarantee limits but you will get some shooting in. I am in Williston

Sounds like a good deal to me! I'll hit you up! Thx!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77