Boot shopping

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking into a new pair of boots, will be used to cover a lot of ground between upland game hunting and spot/stalk deer hunting. I’ve had leather boots in the past and even with regular leather conditioning the boots seem to break down pretty quickly, wear through the toe, and/or begin falling
apart at the seems - I feel like part of this is because of the cover/grass I spent most of my time in, in addition to the snow putting a beating in the boots. Curious if anyone has had success with a synthetic material boot as opposed to a leather boot. Looking into Zamberlan, Lowa, Crispi boots at the moment (however most of these are leather). Thoughts?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl Vakuum (the old Cabelas/Meindl Denali) are my favorite and there's enough rubber rand over the bottom of the leather/sole junction to keep the toes from wearing terribly. I prefer them to Kennetrek Hardscrabble hikers because the sole is a bit more flexible. Also, Kennetrek boots and Obenhauf's boot dressings seem to be not well suited for each-other as the rubber-rand begins to peel off.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i used the meindl ultra lights and perfekt hikers and really like both. Got the kennetrek mountian extremes as i like a stiff boot but had to change the foot bed out i have pretty flat feet. I use the obenahufs on my meindls and the kenny boot dressing on them. My brother runs zamberlains and really likes his. I think boots are some thing you have to try as what fits me might not fit you

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you treat leather with mink oil to keep the leather soft they will last a long time. I have a pair of wolverines that are 20+ years old leather is still good. I had a pair of boots that were synthetic and they wore out a lot faster then leather. i had bought american made danner 4 year ago and they started to leak so i contacted goretex and they paid me the cost of the boots because they were leaking. I just bought a pair of irish setter elk boots with that money and I like the way they feel i put on a few miles with these and so far so good.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
would have got meindls again but i bought the kennys before they had the american store opened

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Looking into Zamberlan, Lowa, Crispi boots at the moment (however most of these are leather). Thoughts?"

You cant go wrong with any of those three!
The Crispi and Zam's have a little softer leather and take little if any break in time. My Lowa ranger gtx have been some tough son of a guns as well.
Only you will know what your feet like thou.
Can't go wrong with any of those, just find the model that fits you best.
Ive had my Kenetrek mt extremes for 8 years, treat the leather from time to time and resoled once. Hold up well but still feel like a ski boot compared to the crispis.

Last edited:

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meindl Vakuum (the old Cabelas/Meindl Denali) are my favorite and there's enough rubber rand over the bottom of the leather/sole junction to keep the toes from wearing terribly. I prefer them to Kennetrek Hardscrabble hikers because the sole is a bit more flexible. Also, Kennetrek boots and Obenhauf's boot dressings seem to be not well suited for each-other as the rubber-rand begins to peel off.

Yep. Obenhauf's eff-d up my Kenetreks.

Thanks for the crappy advice whoever it was that suggested Obenhauf's last year. Should have stuck with mink oil. SOB.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking now, I see that most of these boots are uninsulated. I guess with being mostly mobile that doesn’t worry me as much, but there’s a lot of time spent glassing. Anyone have experience in pretty cold conditions with uninsulated boots?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had great luck with the Schnee's Beartooth II insulated, and their pack boots. The beartooths are stiff, but still very comfortable for walking/hiking around here. The pack boots are great in the winter and have removeable liners that make them really easy to dry. My feet have never been wet while wearing either pair.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Yep. Obenhauf's eff-d up my Kenetreks.

Thanks for the crappy advice whoever it was that suggested Obenhauf's last year. Should have stuck with mink oil. SOB.

Curious how your boots got eff’d up. Not denying it didn’t happen just looking for info.

I’ve been using Obenhauf’s on my two pairs of Kenetrek boots for a few years with no noticeable damage. I have a pair of Lowa Tibet’s going on 10 years that have been treated exclusively with Obenhauf’s and show wear from use but no damage.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curious how your boots got eff’d up. Not denying it didn’t happen just looking for info.

I’ve been using Obenhauf’s on my two pairs of Kenetrek boots for a few years with no noticeable damage. I have a pair of Lowa Tibet’s going on 10 years that have been treated exclusively with Obenhauf’s and show wear from use but no damage.

it has had rands falling off and kennetek them selves has said not to use obenhaufs they wont warranty them if so

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
the rubber is separating from the leather on top of the toes

- - - Updated - - -

first applied last fall - discovered this spring

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got a pair of Crispi's a couple years ago. Without much break in time, I hunted the badlands without a single blister on my office life/dress shoe feet. 10/10, will buy again.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you treat leather with mink oil to keep the leather soft they will last a long time. I have a pair of wolverines that are 20+ years old leather is still good. I had a pair of boots that were synthetic and they wore out a lot faster then leather. i had bought american made danner 4 year ago and they started to leak so i contacted goretex and they paid me the cost of the boots because they were leaking. I just bought a pair of irish setter elk boots with that money and I like the way they feel i put on a few miles with these and so far so good.

I had a pair of the Irish Setter Vaprtreks and they were super comfortable but they wore out in about a year. They got holes in the sides were the ball of my foot is, were the boot bends. I was disappointed because they were so comfortable.

I am currently wearing under armor, not my first choice of boot. I was in a bind and it was all the store had.

I prefer Danner. I had a pair of pronhorns that lasted me almost 8 years. And I spent a lot of time hunting quail in the desert with them. Had to retire them... I want to try the vital or the alsea. They look nice.

If I had the money, I would go with kenetrek...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hated my Kenetreks until they broke in after about 2 years. They are descent now, but don't ever buy them before a big trip.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
samesies as Ahab

they are awesome in snow with gaiters

that stiff ankle saves a ton of what is wasted energy compared to easy walking style boots

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking now, I see that most of these boots are uninsulated. I guess with being mostly mobile that doesn’t worry me as much, but there’s a lot of time spent glassing. Anyone have experience in pretty cold conditions with uninsulated boots?

Wore uninsulated boots in WY last week. Lots of horseback and long hours of glassing from temps in the 50's down into single-digits. Got chilly feet a few times, never uncomfortably "cold" though. I put a LOT of stock in "Keep your head warm" and everything else stays warm as well. Wiggle-your-toes is another thing I do not discount. I'd much rather under insulate and be cool/chilly than over-insulate, sweat myself soaked, and then get COLD, that applies to all body parts, not just feet. IMO/IME, "Warm" is much more a factor of moisture management than overall insulation if one moves even a little bit.

I also carry a goodly amount of "self-contained" insulation which I suspect is a major factor as well (grin).

Boots and gloves are IMO the 2 most "personal" items one must learn what their own body likes/needs.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Looking into Zamberlan, Lowa, Crispi boots at the moment (however most of these are leather). Thoughts?"

I looked those up. Holy cow you guys spend that much on boots? I cringe at the thought. But maybe I need to? Are there any that are real good but not that price?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member

I looked those up. Holy cow you guys spend that much on boots? I cringe at the thought. But maybe I need to? Are there any that are real good but not that price?

not really. I have ran cheap boots which will wear out way faster so it costs the same. I like dry feet so it seems the better made boots Italy/Germany work way better than the cheap imports. I have a couple hundred miles on the Kenny’s since I got them in May and love them but they are not bs about the 50 mile break in

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 65
  • This month: 57