Boot shopping

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO proper taken care of leather will last longer than any synthetic materials. With synthetics your generally sacrificing longevity for lower weigh and more breath-ability. I was always a USA made Danner guy and they still are decent as long as you buy the USA made. I think there are better boots out there now though, I currently run Schnees beartooths uninsulated, similar to, but not as stiff as the Kenetreks. The best boots are all made in USA, Italy, Germany, DO NOT BUY ANY ASIAN MADE BOOTS if you want them to last.

Last edited:

Dryfly36

Founding Member
Founding Member
Love my Lowa boots for upland hunting. I have worn their hiking boots for many years, and always liked them. I got tired of blisters with my pronghorns, so went to Lowa and no more blisters.

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the Meindl Perfekt Hunter Extremes and couldn't be happier with the fit and quality. They are selling boots again and I've contacted them a couple times and they seem to have real good customer service.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see cabelas sells nothing but garbage boots now. That’s unfortunate. Thanks basspro

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
it has had rands falling off and kennetek them selves has said not to use obenhaufs they wont warranty them if so

Good to know. Scheels employee recommended using Obenhauf’s when I bought them.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good to know. Scheels employee recommended using Obenhauf’s when I bought them.

How long ago was that? Kennetrek has said for a lot of years already they won't warranty anything other than kennetrek oil.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
How long ago was that? Kennetrek has said for a lot of years already they won't warranty anything other than kennetrek oil.

Within the last 3-4 years. I saw the tag on the boot stating only Kennetrek oil can be used on the boots and pointed it out to the “Scheels Expert.” He said it was just a way for Kennetrek to make more money. I told him that I’ve been using Obenhauf’s for years and asked if that was a problem. He said no it was not a problem, that he personally uses Obenhauf’s on his boots and that the Kennetrek boot oil and Obenhauf’s were probably almost identical in makeup.

Several hundred miles later on each of my two pairs of Kennetrek boots and things are still ok. I apply Obenhauf’s a few times a year to each pair. Maybe it’s no big deal? Maybe I’m lucky? Maybe there’s an impending boot failure in my future?

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your spending $400 on boots, why on earth would you just not use that brands boot dressing?

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know it’s not cool to say this kind of stuff but I have bad feet and used to work construction, on my feet ten hours a day walking around in mud, rocks, gravel and ruts and always spent big bucks on boots for the sake of my feet. Redwings, wolverines, Georgia’s I tried them all. Some sucked some were comfortable but none lasted long. One day I noticed a buddy wearing a kind of boot I haven’t seen before(I was always interested in what people were wearing cause it seemed I could never find ones I liked) asked him what they were and he told me they were the most comfortable boot he has ever worn. So I went and bought a pair. He was right, I always have a pair now. For hunting, shed hunting, work, you name it. They were $40 Herman Survivors at Walmart! They’re comfortable which I need cause remember my feet are bad and they last for ever. Longer than any boot I’ve worn before. Like I said though they ain’t “cool”. But I’m to old to care about being cool anymore. Carry on...

Last edited:

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Give Salomon Quest 4 GTX's a try also.

I have a pair, not overly impressed. I've had them for just over 2 years and wear them for my everyday shoes, they stopped being waterproof shortly after the first year.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair, not overly impressed. I've had them for just over 2 years and wear them for my everyday shoes, they stopped being waterproof shortly after the first year.

seems to be the common theme with the 4 people i know that have them. Comfortable is one thing they all say they are

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
my cabela's (meindl) boots have been better than any others I've had which includes Danner

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back in around 2006-2007 I bought a pair of Danners while on the road in Clintonville IA I think and loved them, just not sure which they were. I abused those suckers for quite a few years day in day out in all kind of conditions as a land surveyor out in the field till they finally just couldn't take it anymore. Never could find much for a replacement that held up like those, even other Danner boots, and when you make your living on your feet and success is how many miles you can put on in a day I had to take care of them. For what I do now I just don't need any kind of high end performance boots but when I get to that point I will be looking at many of what you guys are running

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
my cabela's (meindl) boots have been better than any others I've had which includes Danner

I have the perfekt hikers and I agree absolutely the best boot I’ve ever owned. Danners have let me down too many times which sucks because they’re comfortable as hell

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
"Looking into Zamberlan, Lowa, Crispi boots at the moment (however most of these are leather). Thoughts?"

I looked those up. Holy cow you guys spend that much on boots? I cringe at the thought. But maybe I need to? Are there any that are real good but not that price?

Yep! Military issue boots. I was issued insulated Navy desert camo boots to go to Afghanistan in 2007. Spent 6 months going through that wasteland of terrain with no problems. Wore them until I got out in 2010, then took them with me and used them to hunt most anything you can think of including elk until last year when they finally gave up the ghost. I'm currently wearing the military issue boots from the AF and they are just now getting rough after 8 years of hunting and daily wear. Less than $200 bucks to get another pair of either and most times around $150. Military issue boots have worked for me for 30+ years so I have no intention of "fixing" what's not broken. However, like was said before, boots are one of the most individually centered pieces of equipment. Find what works for you.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
I have had a pair of Kenetrek's for probably 8 yrs min. Bought them at Scheels and they told me only to use Kenetrek product on them .
They have been very good boots , never any leaks. Last year at the end of the season I noticed that the front rubber was lifting on them .
I sent them in and they got back to me and let me know I had too much coating on them and they could not work on them , thought that was really odd . So I took them to Gartners in Bismarck, guess I will see what they look like the end of this season

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Danners aren't made in the same place they used to be. Made in China now

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think no matter the brand, fit is most important. I had a pair of Meindl's for about 20 years. Loved them and then switched to Kennetrek's also for the comfort. I like them both because they seem a little wider and fit my feet. One son has narrower feet and his Meindl's don't fit as well for the reasons's they fit me.

Hunting boot price sin't a priority for me. I want comfort and quality. The Meindl's I had lasted about 20 years with care. At the time I bought them I paid about $250. What is that, about $12.50/year. Initial cost was high but overall it wasn't. I'll buy a new pair of tennis shoes at least every year at anywhere from $50-100.

When I bought my Kennetrek's I thought the cost was more than I wanted to spend and had settled on a pretty comfortable pair of Irish Setter's. Then I decided to try the Kennetrek's. Walked about 10 feet and knew which pair I was going to be comfortable in. If it's possible find the boots that fit you best and are most comfortable and don't worry about the cost so much. Everybody's feet are a little different, just because the boot is the most expensive in the store doesn't mean it will fit everybody the best.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74