Swan hunters

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Bought a swan tag for the first time last year in hopes of bagging one while goose hunting, with all the standing crops so late in the year I only went for geese once. Did a couple of jump shoots for ducks and saw a few swans but they stayed out of range. For those of you who have hunted them successfully, any tips for getting them into range or is it more of a pass shooting thing? Got a tag again this year.

MULEDEER

Established Member
I have decoyed them along the water line. I have some old super mag snow goose decoys usually put out about 6 a couple barely in the water and some on shore by good cover of course. It’s been awhile since I did this but my son has got a couple this way

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Good to know, a buddy of mine painted some old Canada goose shells white to use this season. Will give it a go anyways, seems like they usually come down fairly late in the year.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Swans are very easy to decoy or even just be called in. If you want to jump shoot them if you have a second person to help just put the shooter on the south east side since they have a tendency to go that way when bumped.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot one yesterday. Was goose hunting in bean field by a little pond. A low area had filled up with about a ft and a half of water. Put goose dekes on edge and in field. Had a few come close enough for a look. Thought about mounting it....I mean on the wall. But then found out prices range from $700-1000. yikes! It will go with all my goose breasts for jerky.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Curious as to how they taste? If I get one will probably marinate and throw on the grill

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife and I each shot one awhile back and the breasts were tough as nails when we cooked one. We marinaded it overnight in olive oil, teriyaki sauce, and minced garlic. No dice. It had great flavor, but we couldn't hardly chew it. Threw the other breasts in with the venison and made sausage out of it. I will never shoot one again.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
watched guyz out east hunt them big white balloons floated in water in a string like eider hunting 1/2 dozen giant white ballons did the trick.

as far as table fare KDM is spot on not worth a shit to eat,watched guyz in north dakota sneak em on a small pomd swat em on the water,not hunting in my book just killing

Last edited:

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mom cooked one on the opening day of deer season that my brother had shot. This was about 20 years ago. She roasted it slow and low all day long and it was delicious. That woman could make anything taste good. Unfortunately she passed away several years ago at the ripe old age of 91. Sure do miss her!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
agreed old timers have the knack cooking game,only roast snow goose that was eatable came from an old lady where we were hunting in luck lake sask,locals told us we were shooting the greater snows in that area,better table fare than the eastern lessers coming from the hudson bay area,said the "alkali water in that area gave them the nasty taste,then winter along the gulf coast in brakish water but these greaters were excellent table fare,old lady packed the goose breast with a sage/sauage dressing like you use with turkey dinner,baked for a few hours until dressing was rock hard,crack the spud open with your knife and the meat fell off the breast bone,side of brown gravy very good eats.

Black Cloud

I hunted them for a few years. I bought a set of swan decoys from tanglefree. They respond to calling really well, just try and mimic them with your own voice. It feels ridiculous doing it but it always worked for me.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hunted them for a few years. I bought a set of swan decoys from tanglefree. They respond to calling really well, just try and mimic them with your own voice. It feels ridiculous doing it but it always worked for me.
Yeah you definitely feel like an idiot when you're doing it but boy it's allot of fun when you yank and bank those things just by hollering woo woo at them with a few decoys out front! As for cooking one its just like any other bird it all comes down to the the age of a bird the older ones being needless to say quite tough and the young ones very tender and realizing that in the end they are basically just a giant goddamn albino Gadwall! When all else fails Crock-Pot, cream of mushroom soup and few odds and ends and you can't go wrong.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a buddy make swan breasts into jerky. It wasn't bad but definitely wasn't great. That's about the only way I think a guy could eat it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74