Quart Bottle Oil Pumps

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone found an alternative to these cheap-ass, POS plastic pumps for filling lower units?

I used to have one that was of better quality that I was able to use for several years. I used it for pumping gas from power equipment for winterizing as well as lower unit lube....and it lasted for years. Haven't been able to find a quality one. Getting tired of paying $15 each year for garbage.

I pay $50 for something that would last.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't know what I have but it came with a bottle of Quicksilver lower unit oil. Have used it for years and never a problem.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
I love my cheap Walmart POS that does about a half stroke of lube each pump (go on...) and leaks all over.....

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would love to have one of those pumpers Russ has in his shop at Boat Works, but just can't imagine what that one would cost. I like what you are saying though, there has to be something a little better.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
For the folks having trouble, not to be Cap't obvious, but, do you have the proper fitting for your lower unit's brand? The only one I've ever had leak was when I tried to use a Merc plastic threaded end into a Suzuki lower unit. Got the proper threaded end and no more troubles.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
71nogSw4jGL._SL1500_.jpg

$13.50

- - - Updated - - -

so these are garbage?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
cache.php

$13.50

- - - Updated - - -

so these are garbage?

Yes Sir. The end typically isn't the issue. The pump mechanism is junk. They either suck air or you only get a half fill on each pump stroke. It's not like gear lube is thin either....someone has to make something in between junk and a $200 professional unit. However the one you have in the picture, with the metal end is by far the best....but still junk IMHO.
[MENTION=412]SDMF[/MENTION] no, the one I bought had a couple different end options and didn't leak at all.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The scent of used lower unit oil is the worst.
I can smell it for days when I end up spilling it all fricken over the garage, my hands, and eventually the pecker.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
What did we use before we had the fancy pumps? I have changed lower unit oil many times, and only ever squeezed it in from the tube. Granted, that was a little 85hp Suzuki.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buy a new one every so often no issues. I use mine on gallon containers and it works

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 96
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 70