What kind of fish are these?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, both rainbows. Both good in soup. Rainbow and chinook can be hard to differentiate, but at a glance, chinook have a black inside-mouth.

There are also brown trout in there, which can vary wildly in color too. I have also caught late chinook, that look at LOT like lake trout, and although we do have lakers in ND, I don't believe I've ever caught one.

Anyhow, those are nice and fat 'bows. They also can be taken on slow-trolled floating cranks, and cranks on three-ways drifting the fast water. Compared to mountain trout, ours are F-A-T.

Rainbows are still eating this time of year. The late (3rd year class) salmon are no longer eating. They may strike at something in their face, but I understand that it's usually a reaction bite. Right now, a lot of the salmon look like zombie fish.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Also, look at the difference in teeth:

6C9A5A74-129A-4AC5-AD62-8594213DA913.jpg
04BF6B86-BAC8-4ECE-98A5-57ED33976CE6.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We thought one was a rainbow and one maybe a cutthroat but the cutthroat doesn't have the distinctive red marking. So maybe a cutbow trout which is a cross of the two

- - - Updated - - -

They were caught on jigs and minnow. Had three others on but got away at the boat.
The one with sharper teeth could be a cuttbow. Cutthroat trout are predators that like to feed on minnows in addition to bugs.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
agreed Aron Buck n Hen rainbows,males will have more briliant color as seen in your pic

Narcs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m guessing they are different strain of rainbow trout, such as Shasta, Kamloops, Eagle Lake etc. I think Game and Fish has stocked different strains over the years and they can have different markings.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both rainbows, bleed em and put on ice, or fillet them while they're still alive. Their meat breaks down as soon as they die, so you either have to get the blood out or get em filleted quick and on ice, otherwise the meat gets mushier n grosser tasting.

ixed it for you...
F

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84