CWD in 4B

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
https://gf.nd.gov/news/3394
[h=1]Chronic Wasting Disease Detected in McKenzie County[/h]

Mon, 10/21/2019

Two mule deer taken in September have tested positive for chronic wasting disease, including one taken during the archery season from deer gun unit 4B in McKenzie County, where CWD had not previously been found. The other deer was harvested during the youth season in unit 3A1 in Divide County where CWD was first detected last fall.
North Dakota Game and Fish Department wildlife veterinarian Dr. Charlie Bahnson said the finding in 4B marks the first detection of CWD in the badlands.
“This is an iconic place to hunt big game where people travel to from across the state,” Bahnson said. “By no means does this first detection spell doom for hunting in this area, as long as we are proactive in trying to keep infection rates from climbing. We also need to reduce the chance of CWD spreading to new areas.”
Game and Fish will review its CWD management strategy after the deer rifle season and will consider making revisions for next season. While unit 4B does not have carcass transportation restrictions in place for 2019, Bahnson does recommend that hunters in 4B submit their deer for testing, and avoid transporting high-risk carcass parts, such as the brain and spinal column, outside of the hunting unit.
More information on CWD, including transportation regulations, can be found by visiting the Game and Fish website, gf.nd.gov/cwd.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
“Being proactive” is biologist speak for kill all the deer and hope for the best when it comes to cwd. I’m still waiting to see actual proof it’s this horrible herd debilitating disease everyone says it is. Wait. Check that, it is very debilitating when government sharpshooters get called in to wipe them out..

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This just in: Chicken Little has just been paged to Bismarck. Please stand by for appropriate North Dakota Game and Fish fear driven reaction completely devoid of any scientific data or logical thought process as evidenced by the ignoring of and subsequent repeating of the FAILED control measures attempted by every other state or country, but may magically work here in ND for some unexplained reason. Que the emotional outcry, hoist the "It's for your safety" flag, ready the "We have to do something" crowd, and let's get this party started.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
“By no means does this first detection spell doom for hunting in this area, as long as we are proactive in trying to keep infection rates from climbing. We also need to reduce the chance of CWD spreading to new areas.”

Trying... ha ha ha.

Wait - How could this have spread? Measures were taken to stop the spread.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's remember people: Wyoming has had CWD for 23 years now, full statewide big game bait bans, and yet CWD has spread 2.1 million acres per year over those same 23 years. Yet, somehow bait bans are going to MAGICALLY work in ND. Wisconsin has tried bait bans, eradication, and transportation restrictions for CWD control and yet CWD rates and distribution has been expanding since their implementation, but these will MAGICALLY work in ND to control CWD. Who's the director of the Game and Fish PFM or "Pure F'n Magic" division anyway?? I hope they have at least a Masters degree in "Magic Production and Management" or their credibility could be affected??

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's remember people: Wyoming has had CWD for 23 years now, full statewide big game bait bans, and yet CWD has spread 2.1 million acres per year over those same 23 years. Yet, somehow bait bans are going to MAGICALLY work in ND. Wisconsin has tried bait bans, eradication, and transportation restrictions for CWD control and yet CWD rates and distribution has been expanding since their implementation, but these will MAGICALLY work in ND to control CWD. Who's the director of the Game and Fish PFM or "Pure F'n Magic" division anyway?? I hope they have at least a Masters degree in "Magic Production and Management" or their credibility could be affected??

Minor counterpoint here. WI should never be cited as a source for anything other than extreme dumbfuckery.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Minor counterpoint here. WI should never be cited as a source for anything other than extreme dumbfuckery.

Does showing their continued implementation of not one, but several failed CWD control failures that do nothing but make deer hunting more difficult count as dumbfuckery?? I'm unsure of what constitutes "extreme" with respect to said dumbfuckery. Sorry.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does showing their continued implementation of not one, but several failed CWD control failures that do nothing but make deer hunting more difficult count as dumbfuckery?? I'm unsure of what constitutes "extreme" with respect to said dumbfuckery. Sorry.

he’s just stating that Wisconsin sucks taint in pretty much all facets of everything. That’s all

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

You used scientific words and WI in the same paragraph, I wanted to make sure that people didn't think they were learning anything other than WI sucks infected donkey balls.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The GNF is probably responsible for spreading it like they did with zebra mussels from the Valley City hatchery. What I find interesting with ND's cwd cases, why are they so sporadic, that makes no sense to me. Why would one deer show up 4 counties over from the nearest other known case?

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The GNF is probably responsible for spreading it like they did with zebra mussels from the Valley City hatchery. What I find interesting with ND's cwd cases, why are they so sporadic, that makes no sense to me. Why would one deer show up 4 counties over from the nearest other known case?

my guess is it’s just like any other disease/illness. It’s been here all along and for who knows how many hundreds or thousands of years. Shit happens, animals get sick and die. Researchers are always looking for the next paycheck and this is an easy one because hunters by nature are conservationists so we’ll give money to fund studies. Maybe I’m a little pessimistic but something isn’t adding up to me

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it’s a bit strange that most deer with this CWD are perfectly healthy. Something is definitely weird about this. Climate change comes to mind. Lol

The last time they found a deer with CWD the G&F went into the area and killed three times the amount of deer that have ever been detected in the state. Sorry Wags for being so negative;)

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Would be nice is someone had an answer to this, but i am not sure at this stage of the game if there is one. Game and fish is the one with all the book learning, studies and research but I feel they are also just taking a stab at it and have for many years.

One that gets me wondering is when they say it is in the soil and will live there forever. Then someone says lets shoot all the deer in that area killing those with it and then when the new deer come back they will somehow not get it from the soil. Some how the use of some common sense in our approach may go a long ways to working with CWD.

At this point and until someone gets an answer i feel it is something that will need to run its course. Yes maybe some of the stuff will lessen it or slow it down and yes i do not want it to kill deer off because we did not do certain things. But in time I will assume that nature will kill the disease off and for now we will need to live with this.

Hell my dad born in 1911 did not get to hunt deer until the forties due to killing of all the deer by the white man in the earlier 1900s and then only on the reservation as the locals could not get bullets due to the war to hunt with.
At that time there where not many deer by also very few hunters.

Did not have all these fallen numbers nor hard count on wheat as a kid but now it is big time for the price. Grain was just plain sprouted back in those days. db

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a nice chat with a biologist in WY elk camp a few weeks ago during a 3 days storm. Smart gentleman, with many good points. I wont go into every detail, just major take aways:

*20% herd reductions in CWD areas is the "sweet spot" to minimize the spread
*CWD has many unknows
*it's only a few mutations away from having the ability to affect humans

color me concerened

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a nice chat with a biologist in WY elk camp a few weeks ago during a 3 days storm. Smart gentleman, with many good points. I wont go into every detail, just major take aways:

*20% herd reductions in CWD areas is the "sweet spot" to minimize the spread
*CWD has many unknows
*it's only a few mutations away from having the ability to affect humans

color me concerened

Where is the published data to support this 20% herd reduction????

If there are so many unknowns, WHY create and implement useless control measures ie. 20% herd reduction????

Saying CWD is a few mutations away from having the ability to affect humans is the same as saying the common cold virus is a few mutations away from becoming airborne ebola. Again, WHERE is the data to suggest such a declaration????

Lastly, if you can't answer my questions, which is no problem, what's this biologists name? I'd like to ask him where he got the information to make these claims so I can investigate it myself and then pass it on to others if in fact it truly exists. Thanks.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
my guess is it’s just like any other disease/illness. It’s been here all along and for who knows how many hundreds or thousands of years. Shit happens, animals get sick and die. Researchers are always looking for the next paycheck and this is an easy one because hunters by nature are conservationists so we’ll give money to fund studies. Maybe I’m a little pessimistic but something isn’t adding up to me

Probably not, we don't give deer the credit they deserve for moving around. Back around 2009, I kept seeing a collared WT doe on the north edge of Bismarck along River Road. I was curious, so I called NDGF on it.

It was a radio collared deer from Lonetree WMA.

That's a lot of travel for an otherwise non-descript doe. Then again, after the alien abduction it experienced when getting collared, it may have just said "eff this, I'm out of here" after being collared.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably not, we don't give deer the credit they deserve for moving around. Back around 2009, I kept seeing a collared WT doe on the north edge of Bismarck along River Road. I was curious, so I called NDGF on it.

It was a radio collared deer from Lonetree WMA.

That's a lot of travel for an otherwise non-descript doe. Then again, after the alien abduction it experienced when getting collared, it may have just said "eff this, I'm out of here" after being collared.

agreed and that helps make my point that this maybe isn’t something new (say even in the last hundred years) I think we’re just now looking for it and can detect it much better than before. I’ll still maintain that dnr/fwp/gf have purposely killed 10 times more deer and elk than the disease ever will. Such a strange situation.

Allen, guy, meelosh, and flycarpin are much smarter than me when it comes to science and animals so I’ll certainly listen with open ears.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been rumored before that the G&F transferred animals in horse trailers to increase a very small population of a predator why would it be a stretch for them to be transporting deer?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 118
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 94
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69