Jamestown and Pipestem Res

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cruddy for the folks who like to fish there. However, good to see folks thinking ahead regarding spring flooding.

Probably do the same on Ashtabula?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
This isn't a joke fellas. I remember when I was a teenager and Ashtabula was drawn down over the winter. Damn dangerous conditions. The ice on the edges of the lake bowed down like 10 ft so trying to get out off the lake was incredible. You had to get like a half mile run on the landing to make it out to dry ground. If you didn't, you slid backwards about 100 yards before you could back up again and get another run. Chains helped, but that wasn't even a guarantee you would make it out. Quite a few bumper to bumper smacks when to many trucks tried to get off the lake at the same time. Had to of been a sinking feeling watching a truck slide backwards down the track toward you and you can't get out of the way. Then there were the bubbles under the ice where the water pulled away from the ice. Luckily the ice was black and we didn't have much snow as we could see them. The ice went from dark to white and kind of frosty looking. Driving over them was almost suicide. The ice got brittle as hell and you could hear it when one would give way. Sounded like someone dropped a thousand dishes from 4 stories up. Why we were even out there is a mystery to me. No fish is worth your life.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79