Buying gold and silver.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in no way an expert but generally yes you can get the value of the metal if what you are selling is pure. Trading coins are usually .999. Unless a coin is rare or "special" is some way noboby buys gives a crap what is stamped on the coin, it's all meltdown value, however places that make coins do use that as a way of getting people to buy lets say "the Trump coin". If you are in a place with fairly low competition though it may be harder to find a buyer that will give the metal price as listed though because once you are on their turf it's work for you to turn around and go somewhere else. Electronically you can get the market price every time except for the cost of the trade service.

I'm interested in this too. Have several solid silver collectible coins in a safe at home, right next to my "IF I DIE, LIKE EPSTEIN, I DIDN'T KILL MYSELF EITHER" letter - to be opened upon my untimely death.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
There are numerous ways to buy gold and silver , you can buy directly from the U.S. Mint if you like , You can buy bars also , but these you have to go thru someone like APEX etc . If you are buying bullion coins shop around . If you are buying high end proof coins buy them directly from the mint and cut out the middle man

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you buy directly from the mint?? Is there a website?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can also buy the SLV or GLD ETFs. They are backed by the real stuff and can be bought and sold intraday at going market. Not recommending, but it’s an option for metal guys.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, plain Gold Eagles or Silver Eagles/silver bars are the easiest and best way to go. Big market for them if you ever want to sell and premiums are usually the lowest.

I'd recommend Bismarck Gold and Silver Exchange in downtown Bismarck. I've bought from them before and have had no issues and feel like their prices were fair.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMO, plain Gold Eagles or Silver Eagles/silver bars are the easiest and best way to go. Big market for them if you ever want to sell and premiums are usually the lowest.

I'd recommend Bismarck Gold and Silver Exchange in downtown Bismarck. I've bought from them before and have had no issues and feel like their prices were fair.

How fair are their prices when trying to sell, or cash out?

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
How fair are their prices when trying to sell, or cash out?

For buying, I think their Eagles are about 5% over the spot price which from I had found, was pretty similar to what you could find online. Probably not the absolute cheapest but definitely the most convenient. Not sure about selling prices. You can call them and they'll give you their current prices.

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Larry and Zach at Bismarck Gold and Silver are the best - they will treat you right and they are local -

Also they are experts in this stuff.

Just my $0.02

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I made the trip to Bismarck gold and silver and like others have said it was a pleasure. Talked to a younger fella who was helpful. I was buying 1 oz rounds. Thier prices are a lot better than what I was seeing online and he said if I were to walk out with what I bought and come right back in he would pay spot price. I was impressed with that. Nice having a local guy. The online sites you have to pay shipping fees and thier prices seem higher. So it was cool to find someone local to deal with. Big thumbs up. Thanks Risto for the recommendation.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bismarck gold and silver had bars. Not sure where in Fargo.

Sotaman

Established Member
Would the carrier known its silver if he wasn’t told? Seems like it would be kinda risky to be getting something like that in the mail. On one of the dealer websites they have an offer of ten 1oz rounds at spot price with free shipping, one per household is the reason I’m asking. Sounded like a great deal to me.

I worked for UPS and delivered a fairly heavy box of gold to a residence. It had to be signed for there was no leaving that one at the front door.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about buying a bit of silver coins, just to have as backup in case the shit hits the fanola. Is there any real benefit to buying silver eagles or maple leaves over generic 1oz rounds?

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking about buying a bit of silver coins, just to have as backup in case the shit hits the fanola. Is there any real benefit to buying silver eagles or maple leaves over generic 1oz rounds?
buy rounds. Silver eagle premiums are far too high and at the end of the day the true silver value is equal to the rounds. Premiums were at a near all time low recently but are now jumping again with this bank shit going on so i would buy sooner than later if you are going to. Bars are good too. Buy what ever you can get the lowest premiums on

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you are looking to buy for investing in the metal, not the coin's prettiness, here are the list of companies who are authorized to buy from the U.S. Mint. Which means they are the ones who can probably offer us peons the best pricing.

1678984856638.png

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed on spot premiums for silver eagles, they keep going up. I have them, but also have rounds and bars.
I did the bulk of buying when silver dropped down in that 15 16 range a few years ago but thinking about getting a little more. Have always used APMEX but recently started looking at Money Metals Exchange. I bought some copper Indianhead 1 ounce coins from there about two weeks ago that I’ll probably give out as gifts.
If you buy physical silver, keep it in a climate controlled area. Put them in the basement where it is damp, you will regret that. I had some in a safety deposit box at a credit union that tarnished. I now keep them in the gun safe with dehumidifier rods.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75