First Ice - Predictions

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
I'm not one to get excited about early ice, there's plenty of hunting to do until it's solid and I don't really start spearing until hunting is over.

ranger150

★ Legendary Member
Right on...I was hoping to keep the boat out available until mid November...but Mother Nature doesn't want to play ball!

I thought it was going to be nice the week of the 11th. Forecast gets worse for that week everyday. I might end up putting the boat away in November two years in a row. I could use a little Global Warming!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you figure? Pheasants don't like wet feet, so they stay out of standing water and on dry land. When you get that first skiff of ice, the little bastages can run every cat tail patch and flooded cover available instead of just the dry land. Until the ice gets thick enough so you can walk on it or at least your dog without breaking though and dying, pheasants have a ton more cover to run and hide in that you can't access safely. Before ice and after safe ice forms and the snow gets about a foot deep is my two favorite times to chase roosters. Those two conditions concentrate birds, the in between time just spreads them out over all creation. 'Course that doesn't matter much if you have bunches of birds where you hunt....which I don't unfortunately.

I've hunted primarily in December for about 35 years. Hunting cattails is always a bit risky. I've seen the results of breaking through several times. Never stopped us but caution is advisable.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The early ice is a temptress, like a fat chick at bar close. I enjoy fishing, but dignity has its place.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sloughs have been frozen over here for 3 days now. Haven't been close enough to check them, but with the wind we've had during freezing, they don't look to bad from a distance! I'll wait till after deer season to brave it though. No fish is worth dying over! Stay safe and have fun!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’ve caught fish worth dying over, even a couple rough fish.... haha

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Long-term forecast certainly bodes well for ice forming. Overnights below freezing, days near or slightly above freezing. Methinks a warm front could come through in the next couple weeks (as so often happens in November) but then again if it's like last year, we might be in the freezer until April.

Outlooks for early November keep us on the cool side of life, damnit.
814temp.new.gif

My pond was about 3/4 frozen over this morning. She should have 100% coverage by tomorrow morning, which is way, way too early. While I like that farmers will be able to drive in their fields and get some crops off, this doesn't bode well for next spring.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a miracle turn around could still happen and we could see moderation late Nov

but the angle of the sun is getting really weak really fast now and boy does that play a role

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
a miracle turn around could still happen and we could see moderation late Nov

but the angle of the sun is getting really weak really fast now and boy does that play a role

After a good 6-7 inches of "safe" ice are made a nice warm up in late November be good by me!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
With a daughter in dance, I know I can’t get too excited about it. It’s my favorite time to ice fish though.

you sorry MFer. 3 things i put in the same category.. dance, cheer and skating. daughter has tried em all. still in cheer and skating. i don't discourage anything she likes. but, i am quietly praying she gives them up and sticks with basketball. which is also painful at this age. but, at least i know the light gets a bit brighter at the end of the tunnel if she is still playing when she is older.

sorry for the hijack...

- - - Updated - - -

i think sloughs produce some sort of latent heat from something. i've busted through one too many times late in the year when a guy is certain ice in a 3 foot deep body of water should be safe. being wet in sub zero temps is a recipe for disaster if the truck isn't near. was almost too far for comfort the last time.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Someone posted a pic on FB this morning from Audubon...looked like the Velva Point area...1 to 3 inches of ice according to this brave (foolish) soul.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
WOW! Feeling a little more "confident" about getting on the ice somewhere next weekend.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bays on OAHE had a skin of ice on them this morning.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am guessing that the east side of Audubon is pretty much iced in. Anyone been by there and can verify? Thanks.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 163
  • This month: 141
  • This month: 129
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80