New Pole Barn is Up - Lighting Suggestions/Options Needed

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice size barn!! We put LEDs in our heated shop at work that are very good, I will check to see what kind they are...................With a party barn that size.....................what is the date for the NDA kegger????? ;:;boozer

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haul in fine white beach sand and a shitload of white tyvek on the ceiling and walls should make it bright.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My eyesight seems to have diminished in low light, go with a natural light, with no office type eye burn.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice size barn!! We put LEDs in our heated shop at work that are very good, I will check to see what kind they are...................With a party barn that size.....................what is the date for the NDA kegger????? ;:;boozer

I'm going to say it may be a few months, since there's no insulation in this thing. haha

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
But , but , how do blind people tell when they are done wiping ?????

Scratch-n-sniff

- - - Updated - - -

If you get high bay units that use standardized sized cobs, like those offered by most manufacturers, they are fairly simple to replace yourself if one goes out.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
You could grow a lot of weed in that thing with room for a meth lab in the corner!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy has a light on a pivot with an extension cord hanging down as the handle. Slick deal. He wishes he would have put at least 4 of them on each wall so he'd have light AND power at almost every point in the building without running cords or work lights laying everywhere.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Barn.jpg

Update:
The boys finished up the building yesterday. 6.5 days of total work from when the first pole went in the ground. Extremely nice and square, sliders are tight, heavy duty walk in doors, and she's beyond quiet. We will see over time how it holds up, but I'm more than happy to give this company more business.

Specifics:
60x130x14.
East end - (2) 12x14 sliders for 24 foot opening.
South - (2) walk in doors on each corner, and (1) 12x12 slider, 130 foot length skylight at top of sidewall
Poles - (4) laminated 2x6's every 5 feet
Colors - Wheatland Stone and Wheatland Green
Rafters - on poles every 5 feet. NO rafters on any part of the header

The only 2x4's in the entire building are some supports in the main rafters, other than that, all side stringers, and all roof stringers are 2x6's spaced every 2 feet.

If anyone is looking for other specifics pm me. I'd be more than happy to give info as I'm extremely happy with the build/company/pricepoint/end product.

EA50197D-59C2-41FD-97C0-AB8D7A88D7AF.jpg

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
image001.jpg

Update:
The boys finished up the building yesterday. 6.5 days of total work from when the first pole went in the ground. Extremely nice and square, sliders are tight, heavy duty walk in doors, and she's beyond quiet. We will see over time how it holds up, but I'm more than happy to give this company more business.

Specifics:
60x130x14.
East end - (2) 12x14 sliders for 24 foot opening.
South - (2) walk in doors on each corner, and (1) 12x12 slider, 130 foot length skylight at top of sidewall
Poles - (4) laminated 2x6's every 5 feet
Colors - Wheatland Stone and Wheatland Green
Rafters - on poles every 5 feet. NO rafters on any part of the header

The only 2x4's in the entire building are some supports in the main rafters, other than that, all side stringers, and all roof stringers are 2x6's spaced every 2 feet.

If anyone is looking for other specifics pm me. I'd be more than happy to give info as I'm extremely happy with the build/company/pricepoint/end product.

Screenshot_20210626-133147_Drive.jpg

Floor?

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
After chatting with quite a few people about lights I did end up going with the "cheap" amazon 8 foot LED's. I bought a 10 pack of these for $209. They have a 3 year warranty. I bought 10 foot cords for connecting them. We didn't have time to trench in power so these are just going to be run off the garage outlet with a heavy duty extension cord for now. I bought 4 more 8 footers last night, so it'll be a total of 14 in the shop, 2 rows of 7 for this winter. Total amp draw will be around 8.5-9.0 for all 14 lights on, 72W for each 8 footer, 8500 lumens each. Here is some photos with 5 lights on after we got them on. The later pics are about 8:00 pm last night. They are plenty bright for what we will ever need.

lights 1.jpg

lights 2.jpg

lights 3.jpg

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
A buddy has a light on a pivot with an extension cord hanging down as the handle. Slick deal. He wishes he would have put at least 4 of them on each wall so he'd have light AND power at almost every point in the building without running cords or work lights laying everywhere.

KDM, do you have more info or a pic of this setup?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m curious about the five foot spacing on posts and rafters. Never heard of that before.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What my buddy did is mount a 1/2 inch hinge or so to the wall and used a steel rod as the support. the rod is about 13-15 ft long. The rod is bent at a 90 degree angle and slid into the hinge. He mounted a 4 ft florescent light to the wall side and an 8 ft light to the end. He then used hose clamps to attach the extension cord to the rod so it hangs down to about 5 ft off the floor. The light switch runs both the lights and puts power to the extension cord. The end result is 12 ft of light that pivots 180 degrees by pulling the extension cord to wherever you are working. It's slick. I'll see if I can get a pic the next time I'm over there and get more specifics. I'll post it or PM you the info when I get it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77