New Pole Barn is Up - Lighting Suggestions/Options Needed

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
polebarn.jpg

Got our new pole barn/horse arena frame and rafters up last week. Building will be completely done come this Friday. I am looking for options as to what some others have done for lighting in their pole barns, thinking LED's are the only way to go these days. Barn is 60x130x14.

Here's what I'm thinking of, linking 3-4 of these directly together, or spacing them 5 foot apart, attaching directly to bottom of rafter, running a section like this every 3rd or 4th rafter or so.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RKZFD5Z/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Or something like this: Again with the same idea of linking multiples together, or getting cords and spacing them a little ways apart.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078NJWQBL/?tag=nodakangler10-20

Taylorman

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
These? [FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/feit-electric-1000w-equivalent-cob-daylight-led-light-bulb/pc20000-5k-led/p-1550302365264-c-7482.htm?tid=5886785665918577503&ipos=9

[/FONT]

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Is the barn going to be heated? If not, does this affect any of the lights you're looking at? There is such a thing as too much light, but not sure I've ever seen too much in a barn/shop/arena.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the barn going to be heated? If not, does this affect any of the lights you're looking at? There is such a thing as too much light, but not sure I've ever seen too much in a barn/shop/arena.

Not planning on heating or insulating it anytime in the coming years. Maybe 5 years down the road but that's a maybe. With the cold that's why I'm def. going with some sort of LED so I don't have to worry about the temp.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Make sure you leave enough wire in the rafters for when you put a ceiling lid up there in the future.
Also put in enough light switches so you can shut some off if they aren't needed. Switches and wire are cheap so do it right the first time.
Congrats on getting a nice building and building it plenty big the first time!
We put lights up that use what looks like a fluorescent that use LED tubes that look like fluorescent tubes.

Last edited:

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would put motion sensors on every light. They come one when you need them and shut off when your not around.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would put motion sensors on every light. They come one when you need them and shut off when your not around.

I've never seen a motion sensor that works like I wished it would. They either don't turn on when you want them to, or they turn off before you want them too. I swear, there's a guy (who hates me) somewhere, playing with the switches. Nothing worse than lights that turn off when you need them on.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who built the barn? Im going to need one in the next couple years.... cost / sq ft?

How high is the ceiling? Check out alibaba, definately 100% go with LED, find out what diodes are being used, pay a little extra and you can get MUCH better efficiency. When you consider many LEDs will last 20+ years, its worth the extra cost IMO... Stick with diodes from the major manufacturers, cree, citizen, samsung. bridgelux isnt bad either.

Last edited:

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who built the barn? Im going to need one in the next couple years.... cost / sq ft?

How high is the ceiling? Check out alibaba, definately 100% go with LED, find out what diodes are being used, pay a little extra and you can get MUCH better efficiency. When you consider many LEDs will last 20+ years, its worth the extra cost IMO... Stick with diodes from the major manufacturers, cree, citizen, samsung. bridgelux isnt bad either.

PM sent

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never seen a motion sensor that works like I wished it would. They either don't turn on when you want them to, or they turn off before you want them too. I swear, there's a guy (who hates me) somewhere, playing with the switches. Nothing worse than lights that turn off when you need them on.

I hate it when the light goes off in a bathroom when I'm pooping! Then I have to either try and wipe with my cell phone light, or wait until someone comes in.

#firstworldproblems

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate it when the light goes off in a bathroom when I'm pooping! Then I have to either try and wipe with my cell phone light, or wait until someone comes in.

#firstworldproblems
But , but , how do blind people tell when they are done wiping ?????

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since you got 14"wall....look at an LED light for a High bay area. Some are already mentioned in the thread.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

#firstworldproblems

mud1.jpg

Happened to me this summer, at a showerhouse in a campground. It was about midnight, and when the lights clicked off, wow was it dark in there.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go with something closer to what Achucker posted.
6000 lumens in the tube style is not very much.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Alot of light distribution will also depend on the surrounding colors. White walls in a shop will reflect alot and make it seem bright. With a riding area a your going to want a focused light with a wide angle

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74