Rifle Opener 2019 countdown

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was really looking forward to 20-degree weather Friday. Now 40s. Meh. Saturday/Sunday look a lot better.

I guess it doesn't matter. I'll be in the woods no matter what!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Woods in ND?????? Corn fields are more like it this year.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm thinking on renting a duck boat from some Sconi for our neck of the woods...it's WET!! Should be interesting to say the least.

Chas'n Tail

Founding Member
Founding Member
The licencing requirements have changed since most people just pull up their licenses on their smart phones as opposed to printing it off and carrying it. I always order mine on my phone and then screen shot it right away so I have it regardless of having service.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
The licencing requirements have changed since most people just pull up their licenses on their smart phones as opposed to printing it off and carrying it. I always order mine on my phone and then screen shot it right away so I have it regardless of having service.

I've heard the game wardens want the paper copy. I maybe wrong haven't been stopped in like 10 yrs so I"m sure things have changed, always in the habit of peeling it off, stick on the license and sign. I've printed out like 3 copies of my license certificate, have one in my middle console of the rig I use for hunting, so there's none of this....'oh shit' forgot my license. :cool:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weird thing is having a Federal duck stamp on the back of my phone because I have the license electronically only. Kinda sucks peeling it off after the season. :::

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
um, yeah.... that's not going to happen

NDGF goes only electronic - and we're supposed to print on paper? ;:;rofl

So, you're saying you don't know 'how' to print your license certificate??? you as bad as the millennials.....:;:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
down here the gfp has an app so you dont even need reception to pull it up handy as hell

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
One more sleep then it's wheels up!

Every year since 2002, I've had the same feeling: What is tomorrow going to bring? Will deer be running footloose and fancy free, or will it be something to see even one brown body in the woods?

I relish the chance to walk up those hills again, marveling at how tall the buck brush has gotten, or how deep the trails are worn. Seeing the signs -- droppings, prints, a poor sapling whittled to a nub from an excited buck -- the smells of sage, the sounds of whistling wings overhead as the last straggler ducks head to the big water. Although I always worry about someone beating me to "my" spot, so far the worries are for naught. It seems that while many things change in this game of deer hunting, us humans are still creatures of taking the path of least resistance. The hills within short distance of the road always have a pair of guys, hoping to spot something slinking in the clearings, or maybe along the edge of the woods. That's fine with me. My little hole is about as faithful as a geyser, and I know that if I just have the patience to wait, something will come.

I think that's what I love most about this brief window of time where I hang up the shotgun and keep the hounds at home in order to pursue whitetail. It's a waiting game. It's doing the same thing you've done for 20 years, but maybe just a bit differently because you've learned something along the way. How to play the wind. Where the deer will come from. Fighting the urge to walk up on the hill, versus staying put.

Then, the movement. A horizontal line where all you've seen are vertical edges of trees and grass. The flick of ears. Wag of tail. The surreal silence as adrenaline flows and your heart pounds loud enough you'd swear that deer can hear it.

A quickness of breath. Then the big question: Who is going to make the first mistake.

If it's you, no deer. If it's him, well...

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
My sister has been waiting 4 years for mule Buck tag now she got one and is 8 months pregnant lol it should be interesting I've been scouting for her and got a few picked out that shouldn't be too hard on her to get to lol either way should be a good time I hope ;:;banghead

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One more sleep then it's wheels up!

Every year since 2002, I've had the same feeling: What is tomorrow going to bring? Will deer be running footloose and fancy free, or will it be something to see even one brown body in the woods?

I relish the chance to walk up those hills again, marveling at how tall the buck brush has gotten, or how deep the trails are worn. Seeing the signs -- droppings, prints, a poor sapling whittled to a nub from an excited buck -- the smells of sage, the sounds of whistling wings overhead as the last straggler ducks head to the big water. Although I always worry about someone beating me to "my" spot, so far the worries are for naught. It seems that while many things change in this game of deer hunting, us humans are still creatures of taking the path of least resistance. The hills within short distance of the road always have a pair of guys, hoping to spot something slinking in the clearings, or maybe along the edge of the woods. That's fine with me. My little hole is about as faithful as a geyser, and I know that if I just have the patience to wait, something will come.

I think that's what I love most about this brief window of time where I hang up the shotgun and keep the hounds at home in order to pursue whitetail. It's a waiting game. It's doing the same thing you've done for 20 years, but maybe just a bit differently because you've learned something along the way. How to play the wind. Where the deer will come from. Fighting the urge to walk up on the hill, versus staying put.

Then, the movement. A horizontal line where all you've seen are vertical edges of trees and grass. The flick of ears. Wag of tail. The surreal silence as adrenaline flows and your heart pounds loud enough you'd swear that deer can hear it.

A quickness of breath. Then the big question: Who is going to make the first mistake.

If it's you, no deer. If it's him, well...

I'll guess we'll find out soon enough!

Good luck out there.

Its been 47 yrs for me, I have never missed a opening deer season in all these yrs. Im done being excited for myself and look forward to the kids hunting. My Youngest has a Buck tag, its his 2nd Buck tag in 7 yrs of rifle hunting. And Im looking forward to his hunt. Setting in a rock pile waiting for the morning to begin. We have seen many deer from that rock pile and some real good bucks. My mind races back to when I was young and getting up at 3 am to make sandwiches for the days and chomping at the bit to go hunting. The thrill of the opening weekend of rifle season, whats better??

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
There isn't a time I get more excited for than rifle opener. Basically today at work was a waste of time, and busy tonight getting everything together. And at most a half nights sleep.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Twas the night before deer opener
All kinds of chaos was going through house.
Honey-where's my ammo, where's my pants- the deer hunter said.

Check the bottom drawer, they are laying on the bed,
oh you are such a mess and a wreck, - the disgruntled wife said.
You may as well sleep with the gun rather than me.

Flipping and a floppin in the bed all night long-
can't think but having vision in my head of the turdy point buck all night long
Every min seems like a hour--oh damn, that clock is not fast enough.

Alarm clock rings, not a wink of eye slept, all excited,
the deer hunter sprang out of bed.
perk perk goes the cofffee machine, hurry up man, we gonna be late

The ole hunting rig fires right up, everything loaded and off we go
Down the road with frosted over windows, barely can see
The coffee cup on the dash thaws the windshield as we go

No wind, rain, snow or cold gonna get in our way-
cuz the deer hunter is after that turdy point buck!!

Good Luck fellas!

(ps.....think I suck at poetry writing...lol)

Last edited:

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
going out to shoot pheasants this morning aka-fuck up deer hunting for people lol

walleyeman_1875

★★★ Legendary Member
Infared camera has locked in on a big boy bedded down in prime location for spot and stall. There are 17 other trucks already parked around the plots land. Good thing I Pulled my camper into the approach last night.

The stalk starts now!!! That deer won’t even know what hit him at noon!!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67