Rifle Opener 2019 countdown

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to admit that I don't consider myself a big-game hunter -- more of an equal-opportunity hunter. With rifle tag in hand again, however, I can't help get excited for deer opener. It's not the same any more now that I'm alone in the woods (was a lot more fun with uncles and cousins) but it'll be the 20th year hunting this particular public land spot in 2F1. It's about as close to a "tradition" as I have any more.

Only worry I have is the amount of standing crop. But what's the sense in worrying? It's going to be what it'll be and you can't shoot them from the couch (unless you have a couch in a heated blind -- but that's besides the point).

Anyone else getting pumped? Even if you're without a gun tag and just going to help out a buddy, or maybe take stick and string to the woods instead? I'm enjoying seeing the dropping temps and dray forecast. Should bode about as well as we can hope considering what the past few weeks have been like.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
[Insert Here - same person who was complaining about too many deer tags 2 months ago now complaining about how the NDGF needs to extend the season in their area because of all the standing crops will make it impossible to shoot a deer from the pickup and drive up to the carcass to load.]

Good luck! I will miss it. But as you kind of mentioned, I miss what it was when my hunting mentors were alive more than I miss being there for it now.

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I am pretty jacked up for opener! For the 1st time since around 2001, my parents, brother, and myself all have tags and will be hunting same area. In addition, the wife and 2 oldest daughters also have rifle tags. Gonna be fun! To keep kids warm I will have a couple blinds setup with heaters to warm up in. But for me I like to sit up in a tree freezing ass off hoping that monster buck gonna come along...

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I usually don't do much of a site-in on the 06 as it killed a deer about 5 years ago when it was last used so it should be ok, right? Anyway, last week we had a fairly nice day so I thought, what the hell, might as well fire off a couple of rounds at the backyard range. 5 inches right and 8 high! But yeah, I'm excited to go poke around.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
My pregnant wife has a buck tag. Should be fun and interesting, looking forward to it. Good luck everyone and be safe.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna pop the first doe I see. Then we can focus on the kids youth tag and wifes any antlered tag. This has always been my favorite time of the year. These days for a different reason though. Now I get to watch my kids hunt and hopefully make memories they will never forget. Good luck to all of you this year and stay safe.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is a fair chance that snow will be on the ground. Hopefully not too much. Winter seems to have started.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good luck to all and have fun . Just remember harvest for most especially in eastern ND is just getting going and soybean harvest will be in full swing next week so slow down , watch for trucks and equipment and stay out of standing crops .

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am getting excited but it sure seems to be coming quick. Hopefully the wind doesn't blow 30+ every day.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I haven't hunted deer since '85 but still love the season. The neighbor kids come over all excited to get the latest sightings and it is fun to visit when they come back to the farm house with their stories. After the first weekend the casual deer hunters are done or slacking off and bird hunting gets back on track. Just a few trophy deer hunters still holding out. And it's easier to get permission for birds when deer season winds down.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^Haha yup! My feelings exactly. My favorite parts about deer season are when it starts and when it stops, so we can get back to bird hunting. One weekend is all the hounds will let me shirk my duties.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
With all the late harvesting, as stated above with the precautions , be very mindful where that bullet is heading so everyone stays safe. Good luck all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the buck tag holders are usually the ones all excited\jacked for the opener...and all of us doe tag holders are over here like aaah meha......lol
Kind of makes you wonder about the psychology effect the type of tag a person has to dictate the excitement of deer opener.

To some, it may be a tradition they look forward to every year and thats great!
For me, I am the only one that deer hunts in my family, my dad quit many years ago and my brother doesn't give a hooty about hunting, I lost a hunting buddy 6 yrs ago, so I hunt solo.

I gotta thank Petra's for going out on an outing with me last year, thumbs up buddy!! Hope you and your wife fill your tags this year.

Weather is going to be bearable, not too cold, not a whole lot of snow, should be just about right.

Mule doe tag this year...and.....yes...shooting the .243 this year, I wanna do the mythbuster experiment that the bullet bounces off the deer thing you all claim it does......:cool:

jokostel

Founding Member
Founding Member
4d Mulie Buck tag... and Im heading out with a CVA Paramount, and a Christensen Arms Ridgeline 6.5 Creed as a backup rifle if needed

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
super excited. i drew. so, did my 102 year old grandpa, 4 year old boy, and 89 year old dead grandma. looking forward to "helping" them all fill their tags.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My pregnant wife has a buck tag. Should be fun and interesting, looking forward to it. Good luck everyone and be safe.

HAHA. Been there. Wife had a Muley buck and was 6 months pregnant and it is still the only deer I have seen with a drop tine. Tried to make her run. It did not go well. She did get a shot from about 350 but missed. Would have been a piece of cake if she could move.

I will be 36 on Sunday and have my first Muley buck tag since I was 29. Not excited for opener but I am excited for having the entire last 9 days of the season off of work.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74