Best Deer Hunting Snacks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been stuck in a rut with what I put in my vest/backpack... granola bars, trail mix... maybe some crappy beef jerky because I ate my homemade venison jerky long ago.

What are your go-to snacks for being on foot or in the stand? Also - much of it is noisy as heck with the plastic wrappers.

And is there a decent jerky that doesn't taste like it's been chemically dissolved to make it tender... and is somewhat affordable in bulk? (Costco, Sam's, etc.)

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prime Cuts does a meat and cheese "trail-mix" with several different seasonings. The BBQ and butter-garlic are both excellent! It comes in 1# plastic containers, but, if you give them a couple days notice they'll vacuum seal for you in whatever quantity you want.

62F37612-6641-4348-9DC2-2C4BB3E50C68.jpg

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been stuck in a rut with what I put in my vest/backpack... granola bars, trail mix... maybe some crappy beef jerky because I ate my homemade venison jerky long ago.

What are your go-to snacks for being on foot or in the stand? Also - much of it is noisy as heck with the plastic wrappers.

And is there a decent jerky that doesn't taste like it's been chemically dissolved to make it tender... and is somewhat affordable in bulk? (Costco, Sam's, etc.)

I just put my snacks in zip-lock bags, nice and quiet.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
The wife likes those peanut butter wafer things. I will take whatever I think would be good at the time. One year I made a bunch of pickled eggs. Jerky is always good, apples are good (then you can throw the rest out as bait) and of course some of the kids' Halloween candy.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Simply Smart off 52ave in Fargo sells a local jerky, it's one of the better store bought ones I have had, can't remember the name, but thanks for reminding me, I need to go pick some up with in the next week...other than that I second the salted nut rolls and Cloverdale Original Tangy Summer Sausage ...

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best is taking waterfowl (10-20 honks) at a time to the local butcher and having them mix it 50-50 with beef and having sticks made. Cut up sticks of it and blocks of cheese the nite before the hunt/fish and bring Ritz or club crackers with. "Redneck meat & cheese tray in a ziploc", gets eaten up every trip.

Some days after exhausting walks, it's tough to beat a bologne sandwich smashed with palm as flat it will go with doritos used as the lettuce on top. (I wonder if im the only one who flattens my bologne sandwiches..)

Homemade overnight oats are a staple in this house as well, easy & YUM!

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually have a pile of homemade goose jerky (which reminds me, I need to make more) thanks to waterfowl season, so that's a go-to.

Otherwise I always raid the kids' Halloween Candy. Pro tip: Unwrap the little bars ahead of time and keep them in a zip-top bag. Not nearly as noisy, and as long as it's cold, the candy won't melt.

Afterward -- and it's only during deer season, for some reason -- I like a plan white bun with copious butter and a hunk of summer sausage at least an inch thick. That's how my uncles always made them, and I guess it's a tradition I keep alive.

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Bingo on the thick summer sausage/thick butter/preferably a nice soft white bread bun - simple unbeatable

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
So Simply Smart off 52ave in Fargo sells a local jerky, it's one of the better store bought ones I have had, can't remember the name, but thanks for reminding me, I need to go pick some up with in the next week...other than that I second the salted nut rolls and Cloverdale Original Tangy Summer Sausage ...

Sosimplysmart

May 26 ·

Sosimplysmart 5306 51st Ave S Fargo ND 58104.

Will be open Monday-Friday 9-6. Last 5 days of deals. Everything must go stop by to just say goodbye or get great deals on everything.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Since I'm finally venturing away from my warm pickup cab in search of a mule deer, I'll have some of the kids' candy bars, some nut mixes, cheese/jerky and maybe some granola bars.

After the hunt, it's time for tiger meat and ritz crackers.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
String cheese sticks or any other cheese that you like, salted nut rolls, and the tangy summer sausage sandwich is a must.

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member
The best is taking waterfowl (10-20 honks) at a time to the local butcher and having them mix it 50-50 with beef and having sticks made. Cut up sticks of it and blocks of cheese the nite before the hunt/fish and bring Ritz or club crackers with. "Redneck meat & cheese tray in a ziploc", gets eaten up every trip.

Some days after exhausting walks, it's tough to beat a bologne sandwich smashed with palm as flat it will go with doritos used as the lettuce on top. (I wonder if im the only one who flattens my bologne sandwiches..)

Overnight oats are a staple in this house as well, easy & YUM!

UGGGH!! Made my stomach growl with that one. Bologna or Summer Sausage with those super soft dinner rolls in a square loaf you hafta rip off each piece...... OMG. #FatGuyStatus

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Afterward -- and it's only during deer season, for some reason -- I like a plan white bun with copious butter and a hunk of summer sausage at least an inch thick. That's how my uncles always made them, and I guess it's a tradition I keep alive.

Aw yes major kudos, now deciding whom I should bother to make up a few dozen homemade buns for deer season..

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nearly everything on this list would give me crippling heartburn while hunting lol. Tasty choices tho. The buttered bun with a massive slice of summer sausage is especially nostalgic and makes me hungry now.

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goober Grape peanut butter and jelly straight out of the jar.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jerky, candy bars and chips.

Those deer hunting shits are legendary after a day or so.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I don't have any of my father-in-laws jerky around I like the Cattlemen's Cut jerky. It's nummy and isn't overloaded with flavor to the point you can't taste the meat. I'll take that and some flavored cheese curds. I'll do Vienna sausages and crackers too.

Lately, my boy and I have been getting Frito scoops and some bean dip to have in the truck. Takes me back to when I would help my grandpa on his ranch and we'd have bean dip sandwiches and sprite! I'll have to pass that on to my boy looks like!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66