Best Deer Hunting Snacks

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
You guys that are eating vienna sausages, sardines, pickled eggs, hard boiled eggs and bean dip must want to launch and then take flight to wherever you hunt.

You got it all wrong. It's all about technique. If you clench the sphincter just right and have the correct pressure on the cheeks, you can switch between doe bleat and buck grunt. Keeps the hands free so you don't have to let go of your rifle.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The best is taking waterfowl (10-20 honks) at a time to the local butcher and having them mix it 50-50 with beef and having sticks made. Cut up sticks of it and blocks of cheese the nite before the hunt/fish and bring Ritz or club crackers with. "Redneck meat & cheese tray in a ziploc", gets eaten up every trip.

Some days after exhausting walks, it's tough to beat a bologne sandwich smashed with palm as flat it will go with doritos used as the lettuce on top. (I wonder if im the only one who flattens my bologne sandwiches..)

Homemade overnight oats are a staple in this house as well, easy & YUM!

I feel like if I ate a steamrolled bologna sandwich, I'd be prying it off the roof of my mouth well into Trump's second term.

Last edited:

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mrs johnr packs me a tangy summer sausage sammich most of the time. The fish house gets better treatment, either way it’s part of the woman’s duty to make sure the fishermen is fed.
this might sound like bs, but it’s part of the tradition of being a johnr

gotta love a tangy sammich

- - - Updated - - -

bacon.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

bacon.JPG

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Summer sausage and Halloween candy are always available when driving. This year with a special treat of cheddar/Antelope summer sausage, something I haven't had in a number of years. I also never thought about it, but the soup broth sounds good, especially this year with the cold weather.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Venison Pasties

Tried these tonight. They are kind of a Great Lakes region thing. Pretty damn good. My plan for them in deer season is heat them up in the morning and then double wrap in aluminum foil. Throw them in the pocket and should make for a nice lukewarm meal on a cold tree stand sit. Could also be warmed up on a Buddy Heater, etc.
D26CD59D-79CA-4ADA-BBBA-41DC0D90E573.jpg

E795E164-B410-4217-B3A5-F8C403765ECD.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am unsure of my feelings about this thread.

Other than...some of you need to send me samples. Very unconfused about that.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Venison Pasties

Tried these tonight. They are kind of a Great Lakes region thing. Pretty damn good. My plan for them in deer season is heat them up in the morning and then double wrap in aluminum foil. Throw them in the pocket and should make for a nice lukewarm meal on a cold tree stand sit. Could also be warmed up on a Buddy Heater, etc.
1.jpg

Capture.jpg

The idea of mixing “meat” with “pastries” makes me want to throw up all over myself.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It’s basically a pot pie without the gravy but have at it I guess.

Meelosh

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You guys are weird AF. It’s literally deer meat and potatoes and vegetables inside bread dough. Does the word “pastie” threaten your fragile masculinity or something?

Motohunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad is from northern Minnesota and we grew up eating these as kids. I haven't personally made them in years but they are pretty damn good. My dad actually orders them from somewhere that makes them and ships them frozen in a foam cooler. The ones he gets don't use potatoes tho they use rudebegas and some other veggies.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

At Deer Camp we eat pasties!! If you have never watched this movie please do yourself a favor it is hilarious.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75