Sportsmen and women- be mindful out there. ESPECIALLY this year

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
gnf-logo.png

[h=1]Hunters Use Caution on Roadways[/h]
Wed, 10/30/2019

With wet conditions abating enough to allow many North Dakota producers to start or continue row crop harvest, the State Game and Fish Department reminds hunters to avoid parking along roadways or field approaches where vehicles could block travel by farm machinery.
“We’ve received numerous calls from farmers who are unable to get machinery around vehicles parked along rural roadways,” said Jeb Williams, wildlife division chief for Game and Fish. “As fields continue to dry out, we’ll see more and more harvest activity, and we urge hunters to keep that in mind as they are choosing where to park when accessing hunting areas.”
Williams said traveling hunters should also watch for approaching farm machinery and pull well to the side of the road or find an approach when meeting combines, grain trucks or tractors pulling equipment. “The window for harvest is tight this year,” Williams added. “We urge hunters to keep that in mind until harvest activity winds down.”

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start teaching this common sense stuff in Hunter's ED nationwide please (more so east of the RED.)

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ground has firmed up out west here with how cold it has been

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Start teaching this common sense stuff in Hunter's ED nationwide please (more so east of the RED.)

Im east of the Red, and last Sat we were out in S.E. N.D. Pheasant hunting and seen 3 trucks all mudded up running down 2 Prairie roads. They were kids having fun. Know what, they had N.D. plates.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not talking about mudding.. This is all about common sense of giving up the road for machinery, pulling over way in advance meeting them on gravel/highway giving them the right away, not blocking any approaches for them to get machinery in and out of the field. They're out there trying to make a living with limited time, we're playing, they deserve not to be inconvenienced IMHO.

And yes it happens from all states but there's a lot of city slickers here from Minneapolis, Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, etc that are not seasoned when it comes to harvest season and how these things are supposed to work out in the middle of nowhere. Just like us driving in their big cities, can be a shit show at times.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try not to tear up the gravel or prairie roads if at all possible. Also try straddling the little mud holes on prairie trails so they don't get deeper. You might think it is fun "muddin" but people in the country don't think it is funny at all. You want to hunt their land and your pickup looks like you drove behind a shit spreader spreading mud, that won't go over very well.
Common sense people just common sense.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing a lot don't understand is a fully loaded tandem or semi full of grain cannot move to the side of the road when it is wet and soft. The shoulders are soft and it turns into a disaster. When meeting trucks, get all the way off the road. Let them have the center crown. There is a reason when meeting them they are staying inthe middle of the road.....they're not being jerks.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
One thing a lot don't understand is a fully loaded tandem or semi full of grain cannot move to the side of the road when it is wet and soft. The shoulders are soft and it turns into a disaster. When meeting trucks, get all the way off the road. Let them have the center crown. There is a reason when meeting them they are staying inthe middle of the road.....they're not being jerks.

Or when the county dipshits still have a 2 foot windrow of gravel on the shoulder, I met a moron tonight that saw me loaded to the hilt heading to the farm to dump and he had 2 miles to get over or out of the way, nope. Hopefully his windshield got nailed.

watson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually the windrow is there so there's material to repair the road after dumbasses overdrive the road conditions while "loaded to the hilt".

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
No doubt common sense is needed. I find it a little funny that a farmer would call game and fish to complain about this, what can they do other than put these PSA's out?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been helping a neighbor with harvest and I watched what looked like a person in a carpool park their minivan on an approach, get into the other car and leave. About an hour later, that minivan was blocking 3 combines, a grain cart, and 2 semi's from entering the field. The minivan ended up being "Moved", but what a mess. Blocked everything up from 3 directions for about an hour, me included as I had to backtrack about a mile and go around. Fewer folks seem to be able to look at the big picture anymore. Most are just stuck in their own little world. Oblivious to everyone and everything around them. I really don't know how we survived this long.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here’s my 2 cents:

moving long, wide, potentially “tippy” pieces of equipment down narrow roads with steep ditches can be nerve wracking and dangerous. When I see someone coming down the road with what I described and I’m driving a pickup, I find the nearest approach or intersection and pull over to give them the road. This has nothing to do with farmers being better than everyone or them owning the road. I’d bet money that some people would almost crap themselves if they had to operate some of the stuff out there.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^To reiterate that point, many of the roads that were made a hundred years ago were never intended for these monstrous machines to be on them. Tractors and equipment were much smaller back then. Now, you have umpteen-row headers on combines bigger than a two-story house, and they literally overtake the road. When you see a train of farm equipment heading down the road these days, you best move aside.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
South of Bismarck last night, they were harvesting in earnest. I was glad to see it. Standing fields getting ready to get buried in snow. Saw two combines and two semis out in the middle of a field, that a week ago would have been too soft.

And lots of rudies and deer running around...

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sad,the snowflakes today lack common sense,its "all about ME" attitude,city driving is no different goddamn jack wagons.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Unfortunately common sense isn't that common anymore.
Try not to tear up the gravel or prairie roads if at all possible. Also try straddling the little mud holes on prairie trails so they don't get deeper. You might think it is fun "muddin" but people in the country don't think it is funny at all. You want to hunt their land and your pickup looks like you drove behind a shit spreader spreading mud, that won't go over very well.
Common sense people just common sense.

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member
On the subject of farmers: They pay taxes too, so they can use the road just like anyone else. FFS, just pull over when you see them coming. Other than a medical emergency, what could possibly be so important that you cant spare a couple of mins?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
So sad,the snowflakes today lack common sense,its "all about ME" attitude,city driving is no different goddamn jack wagons.

Yep, it's always easier to blame younger generations. I'm sure when we were 18 years old our parents were so proud of how well all the kids are behaved. If I heard it once I heard it a million times when I was in high school "The kids today are the best. So kind and caring. And I'm so amazed at their common sense"

I'm 50 by the way.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85