Hockey and observations from a midlife crisis

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't laced up my skates since college, and even then I only skated a few times. It's been probably 20 years since I seriously played hockey, and prior to that it was 11 years straight of practices, games and tournaments.

Now at 35, I find myself back on the rink. Why? Not really sure. The wife said I should, and I knew a guy who played. He said it was fun and they were always looking for people. Playing evenings on Wednesdays means I really have nothing else going on. And with the wife's blessing, what was there to loose? 20 weeks of weekly play and some much-needed exercise. Now after night 1 for me, and with new stupid-expensive skates, here are some stark realizations I had:

1) I forgot what it's like to skate at top speed down the ice, back again, and down once more. I nearly horked last night right on the blue line. Did I mention I was out of shape?

2) Hockey equipment is expensive. I get it -- it's always been expensive. But holy shit, $200 for a flippin' stick?? You can't even find wood ones any more. Everything is composite crap. Don't they break, like, 10 of those a game in the NHL?? Christ! Don't even ask me what I spent on the new skates. Thank God I still have my old-fashioned wood Christian sticks from middle school.

3) Beer league really is a thing! I always thought it was tongue-in-cheek, but no: Before we even hit the ice, someone started passing around whiskey and there was a case of silver bullets for everyone to have. I decided against it for the first time on the ice (see point No. 1), but it certainly seemed to liven up the game a bit. I could get used to this "healthy recreational opportunity" as the wife put it.

4) You can't imagine how stress-free a friendly game of hockey can be without parents screaming from the stands. It took me this long (two decades) to realize that. Folks think football parents are extreme, but I've seen both sides and hockey parents definitely give them a run for the money. Which brings me to my last point...

5) I hope my kids don't want to play hockey. I had no idea how much work it was for my parents to bring me to all those practices, games and tournaments. Never mind the expense of equipment, fees and volunteering. Pretty sure they threw a party the day I told them I was quitting so I could focus on hunting instead.

Shockwave

Founding Member
Founding Member
We recently moved to a new neighborhood and I think every kid on the street plays hockey. There's a net in every driveway, kids practicing their shots every day, and Bismarck Hockey stickers on every vehicle. My 5 year old has started to play with all the kids and I have a feeling we will be placing him in hockey next year. Can't wait for all my money to disappear. Oh well, gotta get the kids involved with as much as possible to keep them busy, right? On the bright side, it wasn't hard to find any Bismarck Hockey raffle tickets. They came right to my door.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
The equipment is the cheapest part of having a kid in hockey. Just wait til they're old enough to start traveling to a near or not so nearby town every weekend. And the worst part..... What if you kid is really good? Then it's year around playing on traveling teams from around the midwest. And probably a second part time job for mom and dad.

On the plus side, employees and professors at UND have always told me in conversation that of all the athletes there, the hockey players are the most well mannered and respectful even though they're the closest of all the athletes there to actually having a chance at playing at a higher level. Kinda hard to believe from the blown up police reports you read in the Herald. But then, if you look at kids in hockey they've spent more time with their parents than kids in most any other sport.

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
I know the out of shape part well...I never had the chance to play hockey as a kid, and a buddy of mine got me into it when I was 24. Now, at 36, I've been playing for a solid decade, but still can tell the people who played in high school vs me just picking it up. My passing, shooting, skating can't keep up with them, even when they're more out of shape than I am. That being said, it's definitely one of the most fun sports to play and I plan to continue for as long as I can. I've skated with some guys that are damn near 70. Good thing about hockey is that without checking, it's actually quite a low impact sport and not too terribly hard on the body.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
We recently moved to a new neighborhood and I think every kid on the street plays hockey. There's a net in every driveway, kids practicing their shots every day, and Bismarck Hockey stickers on every vehicle. My 5 year old has started to play with all the kids and I have a feeling we will be placing him in hockey next year. Can't wait for all my money to disappear. Oh well, gotta get the kids involved with as much as possible to keep them busy, right? On the bright side, it wasn't hard to find any Bismarck Hockey raffle tickets. They came right to my door.

Might I suggest moving to a higher end neighborhood? The savings in hockey expenses will be greater than the increased mortgage.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the plus side, employees and professors at UND have always told me in conversation that of all the athletes there, the hockey players are the most well mannered and respectful even though they're the closest of all the athletes there to actually having a chance at playing at a higher level. Kinda hard to believe from the blown up police reports you read in the Herald. But then, if you look at kids in hockey they've spent more time with their parents than kids in most any other sport.
During my time at UND i would definitely say that as a whole the hockey players were better dudes to hang out with. I always kind of assumed it was because they knew they were the big men on campus and didn't need to prove anything, where as the football and basketball players were living under the shadow of hockey and had chips on their shoulders. Maybe it also has something to do with the "demographics" of the sports.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
The equipment is the cheapest part of having a kid in hockey. Just wait til they're old enough to start traveling to a near or not so nearby town every weekend. And the worst part..... What if you kid is really good? Then it's year around playing on traveling teams from around the midwest. And probably a second part time job for mom and dad.

I had quite a few hockey players in the intro to geology labs I taught while at UND. The starting players and those that eventually went on to the NHL were good students as a rule. There were always a few meatheads that showed up at UND just to get attention and try to make it to the pros. Generally speaking, their grades were not good, their hockey play was even less stellar, and they'd end up disappearing within a year. Kinda figured most of them ended up back home on the Iron Range pumping gas.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like number 3... beer league lol..... Reminds me of playing darts on Thursday's. Damn if darts isn't hard on a guy.... had too miss work on Fridays quite a bit.

Oh and the last fight I went too... a hockey game broke out.

roosterfish

★★★ Legendary Member
I could write 5 books on this subject but will just touch on a few things. If you think it is just hockey that is expensive ask your neighbors what baseball,soccer, or dance costs!! 10 years ago there was only 2 nights of BEER league in town now there is 4 to 5!! Glad to see boys still like the Latte's!!!

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’d just be real real happy your midlife crisis is only joining a weekly men’s hockey league

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you start jumping jet ski's, then you are having a midlife crisis. Until then, what you have is an excuse to drink beer and hold your stick. (Grin)

Merickson1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do any of you guys know anything about the beer leagues in Bismarck?

I just turned 40 and need to have a man hobby that involves beer drinking to get away from my better half and children at least once a week. I make it out to fish and hunt- but not as much as I would like now that I have started building an all girl ball club. It would be great to have an in town hobby besides the bar. Thanks.

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My kid at about 6 started playing in Rugby, then Mayvilles then the last years in Canada until they would not let him play up there anymore. All club hockey.
About 60 games a year with 3-4 a weekend with the hotels, travel and all. Practice was only three times a week as we were playing games all the times.

Had five kids who played every sport there was offer.

Hockey and gymnaisum are the best. Every kid gets to run down the mat and do whatever they can do with a flip and every kid is on a line and plays from start to end. It is not just the chosen five, six, 9 or 12 or whatever with a handful getting a few seconds.

And playing in Canada brought a whole new meaning to playing hockey for the kid (parents, the f word, the fights, parents besides kids, the hockey sticks kids thrown up in the stands at parents and then not getting back, the beer afterwards and all the kid was given beer by the coach at game end, limit to three,, ah hockey in canada). I can not say enough about how this help shape these two parents and the kid. Lifetime friends for all of us including my son with friends in Canada. db

nybs

Honored Member
Check out missouririveradulthockey or midwestadulthockey.com. I believe Missouri league plays multiple nights, tiers players/teams, etc.
I play in the other and hoping my body holds up for another year. Had a shot blocked last year and jammed my wrist...turned out to be torn ligaments in hand and doesn’t heal quickly. I love skating but would rather be able to hold a fishing rod and maybe even golf later in life than hurt it worse...

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
I haven't laced up my skates since college, and even then I only skated a few times. It's been probably 20 years since I seriously played hockey, and prior to that it was 11 years straight of practices, games and tournaments.

Its this exact reason I haven't pushed my kids into hockey. I played growing up and honestly haven't skated more than 10 times in 25 years. I wont say no if they express continued interest in playing hockey, but I'd much rather encourage them to play life long sports. especially if the entire family is going to be involved and have to make sacrifices like everyone needs to do if they are in hockey(traveling to tournaments,juggling schedules for games and practices, making budget decisions to afford it etc)

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its this exact reason I haven't pushed my kids into hockey. I played growing up and honestly haven't skated more than 10 times in 25 years. I wont say no if they express continued interest in playing hockey, but I'd much rather encourage them to play life long sports. especially if the entire family is going to be involved and have to make sacrifices like everyone needs to do if they are in hockey(traveling to tournaments,juggling schedules for games and practices, making budget decisions to afford it etc)

The wife and I feel exactly the same way. If either kiddo truly wants to give hockey a crack, far be it from me to be the hypocrite and say "no way." But I'm not forcing their hand.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 100
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 90
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63