New gear for 19-20 ice season

Trey5150

I have not, I am a jack guy, sometimes a Windsor guy, like the ND whiskey when I can find it, but feel a change of pace for this ice season.
I am not against a smooth rye, or maybe even a brandy.
what I do know is Epstein didn’t kill himself
😂🤣😆😭 sure didn’t! 🤣😆😭😂

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be 3rd season on the Strikemaster 40V lithium ion. Awesome auger, cannot say enough about it, I personally would now want a drill based auger, the Strikemaster is a perfect auger, good battery life, Strikemaster cutting quality. Get it to ice, hit button and that thing cuts.

Thanks. What about when it is really cold out? Do you have to baby the batteries and keep them someplace warm or can you just leave them outside like you would leave a gasser and they will continue to work? How many batteries do you have?

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks. What about when it is really cold out? Do you have to baby the batteries and keep them someplace warm or can you just leave them outside like you would leave a gasser and they will continue to work? How many batteries do you have?

I only got one battery with mine...I keep the battery in the flip over with me when its below zero...otherwise sits outside...no issues last year at all...cut thru 30plus inches in a minute!

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have not, I am a jack guy, sometimes a Windsor guy, like the ND whiskey when I can find it, but feel a change of pace for this ice season.

Tin Cup is a bourbon style American whiskey. It is along the lines of Pendelton but IMO way better. When I am not in the beer mood that is what I drink.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gonna order a tip up replacement called "Finicky Fooler". My buddy has a couple, say they work really well...better than the I Fish Pro...take up less room in the sled as well. Now that the boat is in storage...bring on the ice!

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you hit up a Happy Harry's, grab a bottle of Revel Stoke for shits n giggles. Pecan and Apple are pretty good.
I was talked into the Revelstoke pecan a couple years ago for ice fishing, man is that stuff sweet, one bottle was plenty for me. Fireball is about impossible to beat for an ice fishing nipper, although I've learned to just take a small flask rather than the whole bottle, because whichever i have will probably get finished.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
My auger came with 2 batteries the first year they were out, When the actual temp is 0 or less I usually have taken the battery off and just put it inside the ice house. Have had zero issues, I don't think a guy would want to leave them out overnight in the extreme cold and expect the battery life to be excellent long term.

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a drill too often year round so to buy a Ion or other self contained auger is waste for me. I started with a Hitachi (low end drill from menards), it came with a driver as well $150set. Nothing powerful. I used it for a full 1.5 seasons with Nils orange 6" auger. No issues, each 2.5 amp hour battery got me 20 holes. Drill worked fine but was worried about burning it up.

Then I switched to a Milwaukee Fuel brushless, no extra handle thou it came with one, and it was fine, the 5 amp hour battery gave me 30-40 holes. Then I tried the 8" Kdrill. Same Fuel drill no handle. The serrated blades caught the ice and about ripped the drill from my hands. It also worked the drill a lot more than I wanted. I put the kDrill away until I got a Clam Drill Plate. That's the only way I will use the 8 K Drill. And I don't like the KDrill even with the Clam Plate. I use my Nils Orange 6 preferably, no clam plate needed. Can use it damn near one handed, it just shaves through the ice.

Just my experience. If you want an easy going auger that is less likely to eat your drill use a Nils.

What do you weigh? 60 pounds? I’ve never once had an issue with my K drill jarring me around. I cut large areas out for minnow traps with mine and it doesn’t wear me out at all. And I’m not in shape....

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

Don't try a quality whiskey-esk rum like Pusser's. That'd be a mistake. Trust me.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Might have to pick up some of those rattling tungsten jigs they came out with. I think Acme was one of the companies. They will probably prob be only $5 a pop.....

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was talked into the Revelstoke pecan a couple years ago for ice fishing, man is that stuff sweet, one bottle was plenty for me. Fireball is about impossible to beat for an ice fishing nipper, although I've learned to just take a small flask rather than the whole bottle, because whichever i have will probably get finished.
Whiskey is for drinking. Revelstoke and Fireball are for putting on ice cream. Those are about as close to whiskey as apple pucker

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whiskey is for drinking. Revelstoke and Fireball are for putting on ice cream. Those are about as close to whiskey as apple pucker
Fireball as a nipper for hunting/fishing/skiing or really any outdoor activity (I never said it was whiskey)

Scotch/Bourbon/Irish when i'm sitting at my house actually drinking whiskey, always neat, other than the occasional Old fashion or Manhattan.

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have recently taking a liking to Tito's handmade vodka and cranberry juice. Gluten free also for those that it matters. Also a Dog friendly company and what's not to like about that right there!!!!!

vfdp-logo.svg
[h=2]Vodka for Dog People[/h]
We started Vodka for Dog People to rescue and protect the animals that have come into our lives, many of whom now thrive alongside us at our distillery and office.

Austin, Texas is company home.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have recently taking a liking to Tito's handmade vodka and cranberry juice. Gluten free also for those that it matters. Also a Dog friendly company and what's not to like about that right there!!!!!

cache.php
Vodka for Dog People

We started Vodka for Dog People to rescue and protect the animals that have come into our lives, many of whom now thrive alongside us at our distillery and office.

Austin, Texas is company home.

Tito's also supports the HSUS. I'd find a different vodka if you like hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74