New gear for 19-20 ice season

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member
Let's talk about new gear coming out for this season!

I'm thinking it might be time for me to make the switch to a battery powered auger, eyeing the new Ion G2...but that price tag is pretty steep.

The new strikemaster lite flite bit looks promising too, plus I've heard strikemaster has stopped making all gas augers now and is focusing solely on battery power going forward. Interesting.

Okuma has a new bait feeder reel that looks promising for dead-sticking, might have to give it a try.

What's on everyone else's list?

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
58795020b187f.image.jpg

Speaks for itself

Last edited:

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure I will have to buy some more God D#@## tackle again this season as I am sure the tackle industry will be coming out with more God D$#@# tackle that a person cannot live without. Guaranteed to catch fish. God D$#@# tackle companies!
I told the wife when I die...DO NOT sell the God D$#@ tackle. Give it away to relatives!! I will turn over in my grave if she sells that God D$#@ tackle for pennies on the dollar what I paid for it.;:;rantover

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would like to get an electric auger but don't know which one. I have a brushed chordless drill that works just fine so don't really need a new drill to power a K drill (or do I). I have had a Strikemaster gasser for years so have a little brand loyalty there but don't know much about their lithium auger. Can't find the length of the bit listed anywhere. I believe I need an 8 incher too. Will one of these electric augers replace my gasser or am I always going to need the gasser for late, thick ice or really cold conditions?

Last edited:

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure I will have to buy some more God D#@## tackle again this season as I am sure the tackle industry will be coming out with more God D$#@# tackle that a person cannot live without. Guaranteed to catch fish. God D$#@# tackle companies!
I told the wife when I die...DO NOT sell the God D$#@ tackle. Give it away to relatives!! I will turn over in my grave if she sells that God D$#@ tackle for pennies on the dollar what I paid for it.;:;rantover
If she DID, that would be a GAWD D$#@ shame, unless it was to me. :)

Royalwapiti

I would like to get an electric auger but don't know which one. I have a brushed chordless drill that works just fine so don't really need a new drill to power a K drill (or do I). I have had a Strikemaster gasser for years so have a little brand loyalty there but don't know much about their lithium auger. Can't find the length of the bit listed anywhere. I believe I need an 8 incher too. Will one of these electric augers replace my gasser or am I always going to need the gasser for late, thick ice or really cold conditions?

I use a drill too often year round so to buy a Ion or other self contained auger is waste for me. I started with a Hitachi (low end drill from menards), it came with a driver as well $150set. Nothing powerful. I used it for a full 1.5 seasons with Nils orange 6" auger. No issues, each 2.5 amp hour battery got me 20 holes. Drill worked fine but was worried about burning it up.

Then I switched to a Milwaukee Fuel brushless, no extra handle thou it came with one, and it was fine, the 5 amp hour battery gave me 30-40 holes. Then I tried the 8" Kdrill. Same Fuel drill no handle. The serrated blades caught the ice and about ripped the drill from my hands. It also worked the drill a lot more than I wanted. I put the kDrill away until I got a Clam Drill Plate. That's the only way I will use the 8 K Drill. And I don't like the KDrill even with the Clam Plate. I use my Nils Orange 6 preferably, no clam plate needed. Can use it damn near one handed, it just shaves through the ice.

Just my experience. If you want an easy going auger that is less likely to eat your drill use a Nils.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Excellent, very helpful info, Royalwapiti…..thank you!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am thinking of changing up my whiskey brand this season

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am thinking of changing up my whiskey brand this season

From what to what? I was a JD/JB aficionado for years...then tried Bulleit Bourbon couple years ago when I was down in the Black Hills...now it's all I drink for whiskey...good stuff!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not privy to any "latest and greatest" ice fishing shtuff this year.

I do plan on attempting to build a couple of jaw-jackers this year though. I have some pvc that needs to be used up.

I went from battery (drill) powered auger to a propane Eskimo. Both work fine for me. I had a cheap 18v drill that would cut about 16-20 holes per charge. I liked it because it wasn't bulky like the propane. Seems like the new thing is battery powered. But I'm good with my Eskimo. I've had good luck with it and their customer service when I ran it over one fine day...:eek:

revolutionz

★★★ Legendary Member

Give the new lite flite from strikemaster a look if you want to go the drill route. I believe it's a shaver type, and it's FAST on a drill compared to others out right now. It can also be put on a power auger if you want to switch to your gasser later in the year and shave a few pounds off of that.

I'm itching to see how the ion g2 is for speed with it's new powerhead, battery, and the ion version of eskimo's pistol bit.

My buddy has the strikemaster 40v and that this is legit too, will probably shine with the new lite flite bit on it.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not buying even a single jig this year. If I buy anything, it'll be an insulated Hub house since the two kiddos get mighty crammed in the flip-over with me.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seems like a neat idea, but with my luck it would just be something else to get my line tangled in when I set the hook...I struggle enough with the ducer cord ;:;banghead

That's what I thought too. I need a third or even a fourth hand to help me get my shit together when I get a fish on with the vex in the hole...this might even complicate things. Might be useful in a deadstick hole that you don't have your transducer in...

- - - Updated - - -

$100 to keep ice out of a hole? Wow.

If the cord is long enough, it might help with the hole that you don't want to stand up and move to clean out. I have a pop-up and things get complicated when you have to do too much moving in there...especially with kids!

That being said, I don't plan on buying one. If I had $100 for ice fishing stuff, this wouldn't be what I buy. Just thought it was neat

jtillman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a drill too often year round so to buy a Ion or other self contained auger is waste for me. I started with a Hitachi (low end drill from menards), it came with a driver as well $150set. Nothing powerful. I used it for a full 1.5 seasons with Nils orange 6" auger. No issues, each 2.5 amp hour battery got me 20 holes. Drill worked fine but was worried about burning it up.

Then I switched to a Milwaukee Fuel brushless, no extra handle thou it came with one, and it was fine, the 5 amp hour battery gave me 30-40 holes. Then I tried the 8" Kdrill. Same Fuel drill no handle. The serrated blades caught the ice and about ripped the drill from my hands. It also worked the drill a lot more than I wanted. I put the kDrill away until I got a Clam Drill Plate. That's the only way I will use the 8 K Drill. And I don't like the KDrill even with the Clam Plate. I use my Nils Orange 6 preferably, no clam plate needed. Can use it damn near one handed, it just shaves through the ice.

Just my experience. If you want an easy going auger that is less likely to eat your drill use a Nils.

I had an older gas Strikemaster that was giving me fits last year. So I went with the Clam Plate, Fuel drill and used the 8" auger from the Strikemaster, and it worked flawlessly. Used it late ice with an extension and had zero issues. Very happy with that setup....but I haven't had one of those 'drill 30 hole days' with it yet.

Walleye202

Founding Member
Founding Member
Will be 3rd season on the Strikemaster 40V lithium ion. Awesome auger, cannot say enough about it, I personally would now want a drill based auger, the Strikemaster is a perfect auger, good battery life, Strikemaster cutting quality. Get it to ice, hit button and that thing cuts.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have you tried Tin Cup yet?
I have not, I am a jack guy, sometimes a Windsor guy, like the ND whiskey when I can find it, but feel a change of pace for this ice season.
I am not against a smooth rye, or maybe even a brandy.
what I do know is Epstein didn’t kill himself

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76