South Dakota giant poached

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think a good lawyer could get the Lacey act charges thrown out since he shot livestock. Is there an article on this?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
gotta admitt ted went south when he moved to texas high fence from his home town in michigan,same time he changed from shooting archery instinctive to peep sites,not that sites are a bad thing but teds tribute song to fred bear is a classic still for some of us
Ted was and is a nobody

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what the rationale is behind treating this as a "Game" violation? Seems like it's being set up for failure outta the gate?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what the rationale is behind treating this as a "Game" violation? Seems like it's being set up for failure outta the gate?

I think trying to make it federal because of all the jurisdictions involved? i think getting the lacey act involved might get more teeth in it

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think a good lawyer could get the Lacey act charges thrown out since he shot livestock. Is there an article on this?

The dynamic of this thing would give a good defense lawyer a lot of latitude. I bet this guy barely gets a slap.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the guy a native?

Was the animal taken within reservation boundaries?

Doesn't the treaty give natives the right to hunt within the reservation boundaries?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the guy a native?

Was the animal taken within reservation boundaries?

Doesn't the treaty give natives the right to hunt within the reservation boundaries?

yes

yes but on private land

no not on private land and still have to have license to hunt tribal land even if you are a member they cost little to nothing but just cant go lay shit down....in theory any way

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know some Native guys on SR that tell the Tribal GF to basically go get F'ed. They've gotten tickets from them but go to court with copies of the treaties and get off every time. Most just pay the small fees not to be hassled.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
yes

yes but on private land

no not on private land and still have to have license to hunt tribal land even if you are a member they cost little to nothing but just cant go lay shit down....in theory any way

I bet his defense is that it is withing reservation boundary and the treaty guarantees his hunting rights. at the time the treaty was signed their was no private land withing the reservation. Now with that said taking the head and leaving the carcass will give him problems with that defense.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bet his defense is that it is withing reservation boundary and the treaty guarantees his hunting rights. at the time the treaty was signed their was no private land withing the reservation. Now with that said taking the head and leaving the carcass will give him problems with that defense.

Thats the reason they are going federal. The tribal game and fish want to bang his ass just as bad as any one so dont know that any favors will be done

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how they can use the lacey act when this is considered livestock not wildlife. This was a private farm raised deer right or did I miss something?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure how they can use the lacey act when this is considered livestock not wildlife. This was a private farm raised deer right or did I miss something?

Yes it was raised on a farm but i am sure there is some legal terms that can be used to help the feds go after this guy. They have been putting this together for a few months so i am sure they have some kind of plan in place

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, this one is now in the hands of the lawyers and legalities.

Phill Latio

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess what Im most interested in knowing is, if he is found not guilty and this gets over turned, will the game and fish let him keep the head head like volk got to keep his record fish?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess what Im most interested in knowing is, if he is found not guilty and this gets over turned, will the game and fish let him keep the head head like volk got to keep his record fish?

in no scenario will not guilty be an option it’s how much of a penalty they can get or what he will plea to. Don’t tarnish snagzillas good name with this no good thief... haha

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
in no scenario will not guilty be an option it’s how much of a penalty they can get or what he will plea to. Don’t tarnish snagzillas good name with this no good thief... haha

This guy has the same principles as those who shoot fenced animals and try to call it trophy hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71