Snow Fences

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your pretty much screwed. Biggest cause of your snow drop in front of garage is from the vortex created by your sw end of your house that juts out. I had a house set up similar and it did the same damn thing. My current house is the same but faces southeast. I get nothing built up in front of the garage but every damn tumbleweed in western Williams county ends up on my front porch due to the wind vortex created

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I google "snow fence" the usual advice I see is to place the snow fence up-wind 35 times the height of the fence ... thus a 4' snow fence should be 140' up-wind of your driveway.

Read the same but at mostly 20X the height of the snow fence. Just put three sections up around my place this Saturday. Was out seeing what the high winds were doing behind them today. Just an experiment for me, first time. If one or two or all three don't work, will cut them down and roll 'em up on a calm day. (I just watched the video explaining the 35h you are talking about).

I have a south facing home so the snow travels over the roof and piles in front of the three stall garage. Bigger problem is the blowing snow between the properties that wraps around the house and fills in. This is the areas I tried to target with snow fencing. We'll see.

Sure glad I picked up a 6 foot blade for the side X side. Works wonders. Retired now so there is no big hurry to get it off the pavement.

I will agree with the fence being 5-6" off the ground, read that and followed it. Neighbor put up two sections and used only two or three anchor points to his fence posts and put it on the ground. His was already flapping after yesterdays winds.

Last edited:

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you plan to stay there, the best snow fence I know of is a double row of black hills spruce or colorado blue spruce trees. The fully grown trees on my place produce 10-12 ft high drifts about 3/4ths of the trees height downwind and then the snow drops off significantly. I don't know if you even have the space to do that as each tree is around 25 ft tall when fully grown. If it were me, I'd shop for a different locale. Good Luck!!

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put three of those spruce in the NW corner of my property. Had a nice view to the north so didn't want to continue across the back yard with them. Now with all the building filling in north of me I wished i would have put those spruce across the entire back yard. Oh! well.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Who says we're getting any snow this year? Thanks a lot for jinxing us all.....I blame you for any drifts in my driveway!

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Where is the ideal location to put up a snow fence to minimize drifting in the areas in red? Black arrow is north, and the black line is the west boundary of the property. The drift in the driveway gets deeper as you get closer to the garage doors.

FB_IMG_1624466388889.jpg

[MENTION=1288]ndbwhunter[/MENTION] is there a way you could draw how the drift forms.

I have a area that drifts over my driveway and the drift starts 100 ft or more. When the snow gets deep I usually cut a few trenches in the drift with the blower and making piles on each side of trench. This made a huge difference.

Disregard picture cant seem to figure out how to remove it.

Attachments

20191104_222311.jpg
Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why anyone would lay a property out like that in ND is beyond me. I'd buy a new house if I were you and make better choices next time.

Thanks for the solid advice...The drifting isn't bad enough to justify moving, especially since I just built the house 3 years ago. I just want to minimize it so I'm not out plowing snow at 5am so the wife can get to work. My drifting problems are minimal compared to some, so I'd guess that the layout worked out alright considering most of my yard is free from snow.

- - - Updated - - -

@ndbwhunter is there a way you could draw how the drift forms.

I have a area that drifts over my driveway and the drift starts 100 ft or more. When the snow gets deep I usually cut a few trenches in the drift with the blower and making piles on each side of trench. This made a huge difference.

Disregard picture cant seem to figure out how to remove it.

The deepest point of the drift is in the bottom righthand corner of the driveway and it tapers off as you go north and west.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I dont think snow fence will help snow is swirling because of shape of house imo

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
my wife’s brother clears several lines across the yard with the snowblower

each time it fills in he does it again - discharging in a way that he creates high ridges on the windy side

the series of natural snow fences get taller and more effective each event

swears it works well

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=1288]ndbwhunter[/MENTION]

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
what Guywhofishes says, works, alway try to put snow on Eastside of yard, If you get a East wind snow storm nothing works

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77