Jury Awards Victims in Crash

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ya I seen that the other day. My first thought.... That dude won't be able to pay A Billion Pesos much less $$$.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Good question. Insurance? Not saying the families don't deserve the amount but I've always wondered in cases like this, how often is the amount ever paid and by whom. Next question, do the lawyers get paid before the families?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Insurance companies. I'm also guessing by the alcohol in the bloodstream of the driver in the wrong lane, they may go after the bar (and the bar's insurance company). Or was it a private party he was at, go after the host and their insurance company. One of the attorneys for one of the families is from my home town. I'm guessing he has put a tremendous amount of time into this case. Hope all parties involved come out for the better on this horrific case. And the man behind bars for 25 years may he have the time on his hands to grow to be a better human being.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
No one is getting paid one tenth of that award.
insurance is maxed at whatever he covered his vehicle with, which is likely $300,000. The bar will owe nothing, as proof he drank 4 times the limit at the pub is zero, the award is as good as an iou. After attorneys, court costs, loss of work, medical, etc. the family will owe money.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's essentially an award that guarantees he will never be able to make another cent. If in fact he was at a bar they would have to prove he was over served. Most likely he has nothing and will never have anything and will work for cash when he gets out since the enforcement on that is essentially zero. After the lawyers and court get paid id be surprised if anyone sees anything. also not sure where he is from but judging from the last name there very well could be minerals and per caps involved.

Last edited:

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why did it take 4 years to resolve?
My guess would the the attorney's requesting it be delayed to get all their ducks in a row type of thing,paperwork, evidence, scheduling conflicts etc etc. Its not unusual to go to court for a traffic accident a year or so after it happened once you request a trial by jury, courts are backlogged so bad now a days

- - - Updated - - -

It's essentially an award that guarantees he will never be able to make another cent. If in fact he was at a bar they would have to prove he was over served. Most likely he has nothing and will never have anything and will work for cash when he gets out since the enforcement on that is essentially zero. After the lawyers and court get paid id be surprised if anyone sees anything.

Would hope the court froze and took every assets he has before he heads to prison.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
won't see one dollar over maximum insurance payment requirement. sad part is it sets precedent for future cases

Pheasant 54

★★★ Legendary Member
Unfortunately these families will see about as much as the Goldman family , First of all punitive damages are excluded by most insurance policies. Second my guess is the guy who caused this had no insurance you would be surprised how many people don't , so they families are left with the um/uim coverage which on most policies is probably about 100K .

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
A former coworker of my wife, is the dad of one of the girls killed. No amount of money will ever ever ever make him feel better.

I get shakey when I think of how many times I drove when I shouldn't have. Ugh. Thank GOD I never hurt anybody. I don't know how people still think it's no big deal to hit the road after "a few".

Wonder how Bo and Luke Duke felt Saturday afternoon, after they tried to jump the Missouri River Saturday morning, in their POS Durango? I'm guessing that in the world they thought they were in, there was an exit ramp right before the river?

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
jay, yea they heard the fish were biting at the bridge worried they wont get a spot. took short cut in methupdurango. thank God they were the only ones hurt.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder how Bo and Luke Duke felt Saturday afternoon, after they tried to jump the Missouri River Saturday morning, in their POS Durango? I'm guessing that in the world they thought they were in, there was an exit ramp right before the river?

??

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member

Saturday morning at about 9:30 AM, a west bound Dodge Durango went off I-94 just prior to entering the Grant Marsh Bridge. I assume they were traveling highway speeds. Between 55 and 65 or so.

They went off the Interstate on the north side, went through a chainlink fence, and jumped completely over River Road. Came to a stop in the gravel parking lot between River Road and the Missouri River. Driver was alcohol impaired male, mid 20's, passenger was mid 40's female. Both survived but hospitalized.

Cooter arrived shortly, to take the General Lee back to the shop and fix the glove box door.

durango 1.jpg

durango 2.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy was first on scene after the crash happen proximately 20 seconds. Car was on its side at that point passenger was unconscious when he arrived but woke up but was completely out of it and pretty banged up. Not sure where the driver ended up he never saw him so must have gotten thrown around pretty good. I'd still like to see a picture of a woman cuz either she was really banged up or something else because my buddy thought it was a dude!;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76