Steak Time!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nearly the entire cut of meat will stay "pink" if you keep your heat source under 275 degrees and indirect.

I sear steaks @ 600+ for 90-120sec depending on ambient outside temp and how much temp I lose due to opening the lid, and how much flare I expect from fat/olive oil/butter coating when I open the grill to put the steaks on. When searing side-2, 60-90 seconds. After side 2 is seared, with my gas grill, I'll open the cover, turn OFF 2:3 burners, put the steaks downwind of the remaining lit burner (which is now on LOW) then close back up and let them come up to temp slowly under indirect heat. When I close the grill top I want it no more than ~400 degrees and falling. I know that a single-burner on low on my grill will keep the grill @ 250ish for days on end. Depending upon thickness, now I'll let them sit on the grill with indirect heat for 4-10min depending on thickness. If I'm questioning myself regarding where the steaks are at for internal temp, deploy the temp probe.

For steaks on the Big Green Egg the process is similar, get the coals HOT 600+ degrees, sear for 90-120 sec, flip, 60-90 sec sear on side 2. Where the process differs is now all I do is completely shut down the bottom air and open up the top fully (the top being the chimney cap, not the entire grill lid). The steaks will now bathe in a heavy smoke while their internal temp comes up and the Egg's temp drops fast. 6-9min depending on thickness.

For roasts (venison, prime rib, etc) I'll do the reverse sear. Indirect heat @ 225-250 until the internal temp gets ~10-15 degrees under optimal serving temp. Pull the meat off, tent under tinfoil to rest 10-15min (the temp will come up 8-12 degrees during this time). Increase the heat in your heat source to 500+, put the roast back in for a sear/crust formation 8-10min max (Try to manage your grill/heat for no or minimal flare ups @ this stage, you want a crust or a little char, not something that looks like the 1st marshmallow a 6yr old roasts), pull it off and slice.

Last edited:

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thread headline caught my eye......my sisters ex boyfriend gave me some cube elk steak and I fried it up the other night....should never done that....now I want more...fudge.....first time I prepared and cook Elk cube steak..its good....now I gotta put Elk hunting on my bucket list again...I burned my once in a lifetime ND tag back in '03 and got skunked. Now I have to save up like hell, with some many thing on my 'want' list is insane...damn a guy cannot make enough money. Guess borrowing and stay in debt the American dream.....smh

Apply for a cow tag in WY, avoid grizzly country

- - - Updated - - -

So this thread is back,jiffy that looks fan f'ing tastic....

So,I 'm just a meat and tator guy like most of you here,just learned the different cuts of beef,my local butcher sells us "choice" ribeye cuts my fav steak but after grilling always had two steaks(ribeye) loin on one side stripe on the other falling apart,chatted with my butcher about this and he schooled me,he said most meat markets sell/advertise choice cuts for price selling(me never gave it a second thought) he said "prime is #1 #2 is select,both ribeye will hold together and#3 the cheapest is choice,I ponied up one night last month bought a prime ribeye,man what a great steak,so good went back a week later incase it was a fluke,even tho a choice ribeye is way better than a sirloin a prime ribeye was alot better,so it was'nt the cow either.

Doesn’t it go?
#1 Prime
#2 Choice
#3 Select

Select can be hit and miss for me, some of the best steaks I have had were select.

- - - Updated - - -

So this thread is back,jiffy that looks fan f'ing tastic....

So,I 'm just a meat and tator guy like most of you here,just learned the different cuts of beef,my local butcher sells us "choice" ribeye cuts my fav steak but after grilling always had two steaks(ribeye) loin on one side stripe on the other falling apart,chatted with my butcher about this and he schooled me,he said most meat markets sell/advertise choice cuts for price selling(me never gave it a second thought) he said "prime is #1 #2 is select,both ribeye will hold together and#3 the cheapest is choice,I ponied up one night last month bought a prime ribeye,man what a great steak,so good went back a week later incase it was a fluke,even tho a choice ribeye is way better than a sirloin a prime ribeye was alot better,so it was'nt the cow either.

Doesn’t it go?
#1 Prime
#2 Choice
#3 Select

Select can be hit and miss for me, some of the best steaks I have had were select.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, you can find prime at Sam's sometimes and always at Costco. What an unbelievable cut, but very, very spendy!

Sams is probably the cheapest place to get prime. The price of prime there is about the price of choice at the grocery store. I think the grocery is just trying to get you to step up to prime at$18 a pound.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
So during the peak of the rona there was a flood of prime meat on the market since high end restaurants were closed. The store here picked up a bunch was getting prime grade beef for 8.99 a lb. Damn we were eating good

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
So during the peak of the rona there was a flood of prime meat on the market since high end restaurants were closed. The store here picked up a bunch was getting prime grade beef for 8.99 a lb. Damn we were eating good

Damn, I would have bought a shit-ton and vacuum sealed it!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prime ribeyes in my town were $26.99/lb....mac n chesse in my house for a few weeks and some chicken once a week,prices are better now.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually these are $6 to $7 a pound.

63BEB9CE-E1AF-4A67-AD71-7AAE52892DE1.jpg

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Seasoned with Weber’s Chicago Steak seasoning for 30 hours

73B2A8F6-C500-4E4C-89E7-997070BFF48C.jpg

Smoked for 2 hours to an internal temp of 120 degrees
90B034B7-23ED-4092-8684-81685145B3A6.jpg
Then will sear in a pan with garlic butter to medium (for me) medium well (for the wife)

- - - Updated - - -

Served with a home grown loaded baked potato and a Fat Tire!! :;:rockit

4162A85B-C923-4E2B-9132-8A7420353750.jpg

When I was at the grocery store on Friday the Tri Tips were $10.98 per pound. Wished I would of bought a couple more packs when I was there on the 3rd. ;:;banghead

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My sister has a bar and on Friday nights she runs a steak and seafood night. The last time she ordered prime rib from her meat supplier she got one bag of prime rib roast that she hand cuts to steaks that was too small, so when she came down here this last Sunday we got an early Chrismas present, Love my sister. Now we have a dozen prime rib steak vaccume packed and in the freezer. LB

Hamm's

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made a tri-tip this weekend too. Cooked it on my Pit Boss pellet smoker. Turned out great.IMG_1122.jpg

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Elk tenderloin:

700D01F9-2F5B-468A-9B6F-8F24B356E6DB.jpg

That was last night. There was some leftover so I smeared it all over w/butter and have it warming up indirect on the grill.

- - - Updated - - -

The butter-slather and indirect re-heat was ALMOST as good as fresh last night.

Founding Member
Founding Member
The old muley I arrowed last falls backstraps fed the crew the other night at work, tasted damn good.
Some smoked and seared and some stuffed and wrapped in bacon, smoked and baked to perfection. :;:cheers

jdfisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Curse you for posting this - my bowl of Cheerios suddenly looks very inadequate

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Prime Cuts in Fargo has occasionally stocked dry aged bone-in ribeyes.

Update, Prime Cuts no longer has dry aged steaks just occasionally, they have them all the time. They have a UV lamp dry-ager behind the regular meat counter.

They've also started stocking Wagyu Ribeyes as well. I have yet to venture down that road less-traveled, it scares me.....

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had a fillet at Texas Roadhouse in Grand Forks last night and it was awesome - tender and great flavor/seasoning. Going to buy some of their seasoning mix to have at home.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's not.

When done right with some fresh rosemary its right there with any other way to cook a steak. plus when its cold as hell out its convenient to be able to have a nice steak in under 10 minutes including rest time .

steak.jpg

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just a reminder that it’s Friday and Lent and Jesus is watching. Stop touching yourself so much!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74