Steak Time!

MossyMO

Founding Member
Founding Member
Searing a couple rib-eyes while twice baked potatoes cook indirect.

-----

Steaks coming to internal temp while the twice baked potatoes wait impatiently…

-----

MMmmm… seasoned and cooked to our preference!

Thanks for looking!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How big of an up-tick in sales of tatonka dust after posting those mouth watering pictures. My saliva glands want to know.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks splendid.
I grill for our local Elks club every Thursday night during the warm months. People come from a 50 mile radius to eat our spectacular ribeyes, this looks awesome, but would hate to change our recipe. Old western NDrs get pretty set on what they want, and love to bitch when they don’t get it.
Might have to get a jug of your seasoning and do some sampling.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil rub

grill 3 min per side to 135f

rest 5 min

down the hatch

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
garlic, salt, pepper, olive oil rub

grill 3 min per side to 135f

rest 5 min

down the hatch

Gotta be pretty thin to get to 135 inside only grilling 3min/side. Or, are you using your bag-boiler 1st?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've heard the cast iron and oven method is the way to go. Might have to get one to do a couple at a time.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
JohnR, If you don't mind saying where do you get the Ribeyes? Not much choice here in GF. THX!

L&M has good steaks, will cut to order if you want. Sam's club also has an excellent meat department, and they sell prime too if you want a really good steak, or buy a prime ribeye roast and cut your own....just be prepared for some sticker shock.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
L&M has good steaks, will cut to order if you want. Sam's club also has an excellent meat department, and they sell prime too if you want a really good steak, or buy a prime ribeye roast and cut your own....just be prepared for some sticker shock.

Sams is my go-to for loading the smoker. My shop is right by L&M so every damn time I walk outside I have to smell their smoker. I bet you can guess where I end up stopping most days on my way home.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was in Albertsons in Boise the other day they have a case with dry aged ribeye you can pick from. It was one of the most glorious things I have ever seen along side the fresh sea food selection I died and went to heaven

Sotaman

Established Member
I've heard the cast iron and oven method is the way to go. Might have to get one to do a couple at a time.

I have been knocking the steaks out of the park using this method... Salt Pepper garlic powder oil couple minutes on each side into the oven at 350 for six minutes and then tent for six more. Truly on the medium of medium rare side which I prefer

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been knocking the steaks out of the park using this method... Salt Pepper garlic powder oil couple minutes on each side into the oven at 350 for six minutes and then tent for six more. Truly on the medium of medium rare side which I prefer

I hope you wear your apron and flour dust your titties while you're baking.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
It took me a while to change my ways, but last winter I cooked more with cast iron then I have my entire life. I am a big fan of it, other then filling the house with smoke. I feel in no way it's inferior to cooking a steak on a grill. I do not finish my steaks in the oven however. I keep flipping them fairly often, as the crust builds, while basting them in pan juices. I like mine on the rare side of medium rare so it don't take long.

Still, I equally enjoy a good grilled steak as well.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I go back and forth with the pan and grill. If it's nice out, I grill it...if it's unpleasantly windy/cold/raining, I use the George Forman. LOL, don't knock it!

And at one point I used the cast iron skillet for a lot of things, it works just fine as well.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
How big of an up-tick in sales of tatonka dust after posting those mouth watering pictures. My saliva glands want to know.

Tatonka dust in stock at Butcher Block in Mandan.

- - - Updated - - -

crumble a little bleu cheese on the steak, before popping in the oven. Oh man...

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have to give a shout out to my old friend svnmag for turning me on to the alton brown cast iron ribeye. It is hands down my favorite way too cook a large ribeye. CAUTION - this method produces and un-Godly amount of smoke. Open windows and good oven vent is a must.

1) Let steak come to room temperature. Season with a liberal amount of coarse salt and cracked black pepper. Rub with a little canola oil.
2) Throw a properly seasoned cast iron pan (not brand spanking new) in the oven and turn oven to 500 degrees.
3) Once the oven hits 500, take cast iron pan out of oven and place on stove top on high for 5 minutes. Yes 5. No less.
4) Cook steak on each side for 30 seconds. Place in oven for 2-3 minutes then flip and cook for another 2 minutes.
5) let rest for 3-5 minutes
6) eat like a caveman.

Seriously this method produces a fantastic steak with a really good crust on the outside and perfect med-rare on the inside. Make sure you use a good thick ribeye though. Otherwise oven time will not be needed. The oven is needed to get those thick 1" steaks to be med-rare in short order. And I dont flour my titties haha

- - - Updated - - -

I guess I go back and forth with the pan and grill. If it's nice out, I grill it...if it's unpleasantly windy/cold/raining, I use the George Forman. LOL, don't knock it!

And at one point I used the cast iron skillet for a lot of things, it works just fine as well.

NO! JUST NO lol

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56