Steak Time!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread has me jonesin for a charcoal grilled giant ribeye,being from Mn we don't have the best local beef and can't afford the import stuff either,but I found /had some of the best beef from nebraska when hunting,my contact I hunted with had a few local farmers as customers with corn fed cattle,our steak fry's started with an aged beef rib roast turning green on the exterior,buddy claimed thats when its ready to grill just trim the green off then cut 2" steaks,fantastic over a oak wood fire,as stated above kosher salt,cracked black pepper is all he used,no olive oil or butter but sure wouldn't hurt to use,so I give the nod to corn fed beef.

dry aged steaks I had were wrapped in loin cloth for a couple weeks,not a fan as the meat was to dry,almost eatable like a jerky before grilled.

The next test steak I cook will be reverse seared on a small Weber charcoal.

Regarding the pellicle on dry aged meat, you are generally supposed to trim all the hard stuff off. I read enough from the same guy online who always left it on and claimed that greatly improved the flavor. So I decided to try it, and like you, I didn't like the texture. Live and learn.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Agreed,now days i usually get the best ribeye I can find thats on sale,fire up the charcoal weber smokey joe rather than the pellet grill(hard to beat a charcoal seared ribeye) little salt/pepper knock the horns off,wipe its ass and runner accross the grill its the best I can do when in a feeding frenzy....usually a good veterinarian could bring my steak back to life...

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My wife prefers charcoal grilled steaks so i do hers on there solely, but for my steak i prefer a 90min smoke on the GMG, then finish it off with a charcoal sere under heavy apple or hickory wood smoke.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
tri tip.jpg

Made a Tri Tip on the smoker this weekend. Where have you been all my life?!?!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this thread is back,jiffy that looks fan f'ing tastic....

So,I 'm just a meat and tator guy like most of you here,just learned the different cuts of beef,my local butcher sells us "choice" ribeye cuts my fav steak but after grilling always had two steaks(ribeye) loin on one side stripe on the other falling apart,chatted with my butcher about this and he schooled me,he said most meat markets sell/advertise choice cuts for price selling(me never gave it a second thought) he said "prime is #1 #2 is select,both ribeye will hold together and#3 the cheapest is choice,I ponied up one night last month bought a prime ribeye,man what a great steak,so good went back a week later incase it was a fluke,even tho a choice ribeye is way better than a sirloin a prime ribeye was alot better,so it was'nt the cow either.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Shhhh....
Pretty soon they'll be $20/lb and impossible to find.

I was thinking the same thing. They've just started popping up at my local grocery, and I buy them every time I see them. Was a little leery of them at first, but is a damn good steak.

I thought you were talking about the flat iron steaks until I looked again. Nothing wrong with a tri-tip, either.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
So this thread is back,jiffy that looks fan f'ing tastic....

So,I 'm just a meat and tator guy like most of you here,just learned the different cuts of beef,my local butcher sells us "choice" ribeye cuts my fav steak but after grilling always had two steaks(ribeye) loin on one side stripe on the other falling apart,chatted with my butcher about this and he schooled me,he said most meat markets sell/advertise choice cuts for price selling(me never gave it a second thought) he said "prime is #1 #2 is select,both ribeye will hold together and#3 the cheapest is choice,I ponied up one night last month bought a prime ribeye,man what a great steak,so good went back a week later incase it was a fluke,even tho a choice ribeye is way better than a sirloin a prime ribeye was alot better,so it was'nt the cow either.

Yeah, you can find prime at Sam's sometimes and always at Costco. What an unbelievable cut, but very, very spendy!

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
How does a guy cook a tri tip?

Season as you like. Sear 10 minutes on med high direct. Then 20 or so minutes on med high indirect or until 125 degrees. Let rest for at least 15 minutes. You can put BBQ sauce on the last 10 or so minutes if you like that. I actually do like a little sauce brushed on at the end.

Yes always slice against the grain and as thin as you can.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thread headline caught my eye......my sisters ex boyfriend gave me some cube elk steak and I fried it up the other night....should never done that....now I want more...fudge.....first time I prepared and cook Elk cube steak..its good....now I gotta put Elk hunting on my bucket list again...I burned my once in a lifetime ND tag back in '03 and got skunked. Now I have to save up like hell, with some many thing on my 'want' list is insane...damn a guy cannot make enough money. Guess borrowing and stay in debt the American dream.....smh

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
1675726429675.png

Made a Tri Tip on the smoker this weekend. Where have you been all my life?!?!

Tri Tip is my absolute favorite cut of meat to throw in the smoker. Smoke to 104 degrees and then sear on the grill or flat top.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tri Tip is my absolute favorite cut of meat to throw in the smoker. Smoke to 104 degrees and then sear on the grill or flat top.

I agee. The smoke adds much more.
Also, look up "board sauce". I just do a simple EVOO, herbs, S&P. Adam Lang has a good recipe out there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
How hot do you set your smoker? How long does it usually take to hit 104?

Get yourself a digital temp probe, yourself and anyone you cook for in the future will gain exponential enjoyment of their food when it's prepared EXACTLY to their liking.

Every smoker and grill is different, even the exact same one will be different depending on wind and ambient outdoor temp, was the meat @ fridge temp, room temp, slightly frozen in the middle yet, etc, etc, etc. A temp probe in the center of your dinner however doesn't lie.

Temp probes are like the "Sam Colt" of outdoor cooking.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
How hot do you set your smoker? How long does it usually take to hit 104?
225 has been my temp for a lot of cuts of meat. Seems to be that nice middle ground. A 2lb tri tip usually takes around 2 hours at that 225 temp. I use multiple temp probes just to make sure. Obviously the one that comes with my green mountain as well as a handheld

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanx guyz! now I gotta go round up a tri-tip I'll give it a whirl,on a side not my 2nd choice of steak behind my fav ribeye has been "chuck-eye" nice cut ,tail end of rib roast(cheap price),little more fat but darn good grilled or cut up in stroganoff,super tender,but grilling steak over charcoal I always use wood (cherry wood for beef) for that added smokey flavor but never thought about firing up the smoker for starters,good tip! thanx.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76