MT vs ND

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
NE MT vs NW ND. So I was talking to a young man yesterday. He has family in Nw MT. He went back there hunting deer last weekend. Said he was able to buy seven tags over the counter. One or two buck tags and the rest doe tags. I’m not sure I buy that bullshit or not but I know nothing about MT. If this is the case this blows my kind. This is about 50 miles west of our 3A1 zone and you can’t get a tag here to save your life. How the fuck does that work. They have that many more deer fifty miles away? I sure as hell doubt that. Less hunters? I doubt that too. Something is missing in this scenario

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t know about Montana but I know all our counties on the Nd border you can get multiple doe tags

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do believe montana allows people to buy multiple OTC doe tags but i don't think they are necessarily restricted to a single unit. I think they are good for quiet a few units and are intended as a management to keep deer numbers under control.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
50 miles west of Williston is MT reservations?
Nothing to do with reservations. It was in the plentywood area he said. Just west of there

- - - Updated - - -

I do believe montana allows people to buy multiple OTC doe tags but i don't think they are necessarily restricted to a single unit. I think they are good for quiet a few units and are intended as a management to keep deer numbers under control.
I think that’s probably the case but it amazes me fifty miles west of a zone in ND where the tag numbers were dropped to an extremely low number that they would have a herd problem.

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Montana , you get 1 buck tag . And you can buy 7 b tags (antlerless) . In region 7 (basically 1/3 of Montana) there’s 11,000 b tags . They are available to residents and NR and there’s tons of public Land and block management . Don’t for one second compare Montana hunting to ND it’s like comparing lobster and bullheads

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In Montana , you get 1 buck tag . And you can buy 7 b tags (antlerless) . In region 7 (basically 1/3 of Montana) there’s 11,000 b tags . They are available to residents and NR and there’s tons of public Land and block management . Don’t for one second compare Montana hunting to ND it’s like comparing lobster and bullheads
Montana sucks that bad?

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
Yes there are many more tags available in Montana than in ND. The area allocated 11,000 surplus doe tags (7 per person til they sell out) equals about the same size as all of ND west of highway 85.

Despite MT having less habitat fragmentation than ND the quality of mule deer hunting in MT has steadily declined over the last 30+ years. The MT FWP manages for opportunity and subsequently has been waging war on their mule deer for decades. I would argue that management and “trophy quality” deer hunting is better in western ND than R7 Montana.

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
F1098107-AF4C-4BB6-BC92-2175DF0F42DD.jpg

Montana deer.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lot different in Montana and in that area to boot. All private land. A little block management. The deer get the shit shot out of them on the block management and the few school sections. Private land is tough to access unless to know someone well.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can buy that many tags, but what is the success fill rate for those that buy all tags possible?????

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
you can buy that many tags, but what is the success fill rate for those that buy all tags possible?????

I would say the success rate is VERY HIGH. Having hunted MT from just inside the MT/ND border to west of lewistown (NW corner of MT) and down to enis (SW corner of MT), I can tell you this. If I wanted to take 6 does, I could do it in one weekend at most of the places I've hunted with NO PROBLEM whatsoever and only hunt on block management or BLM land. Additionally, we've only been turned down once by private landowners when we needed to take some does and that was due to family hunting the same area. The rest of the time, we were told exactly where to go and when by the landowner to take all the does we wanted. We shot 4 on the same morning from one location and we were done. Filling the freezer is easy in MT if you just want meat. However, like was said, MT manages for maximum opportunity, not horn size.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never hunted out there so had no idea, may have to consider it sometime in the future.

I would say the success rate is VERY HIGH. Having hunted MT from just inside the MT/ND border to west of lewistown (NW corner of MT) and down to enis (SW corner of MT), I can tell you this. If I wanted to take 6 does, I could do it in one weekend at most of the places I've hunted with NO PROBLEM whatsoever and only hunt on block management or BLM land. Additionally, we've only been turned down once by private landowners when we needed to take some does and that was due to family hunting the same area. The rest of the time, we were told exactly where to go and when by the landowner to take all the does we wanted. We shot 4 on the same morning from one location and we were done. Filling the freezer is easy in MT if you just want meat. However, like was said, MT manages for maximum opportunity, not horn size.

they shot 7 in two days

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shooting mule deer does is not all that difficult. It’s especially easy if hunting private land.
This ...... I have a general deer tag so I’ll be looking for a good buck but I also have a mule doe tag , we hunt private . Whatever day of the trip I decide to fill the doe tag it will be about a 5 minute ordeal . Drive out to a herd , get a good rest on fence post or pack and boom

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAHA! I was reading the mt regs to see what I have to do to hunt there and I had to call my buddy to verify. I couldn't believe this! They have a lot of OTC hunting. Even for non-residents.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member

That pretty much covers it i think.

Also how has mule deer fared in western ND over the past 15 years? Not very well. There is a lot of empty space over here to grow animals

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
HAHA! I was reading the mt regs to see what I have to do to hunt there and I had to call my buddy to verify. I couldn't believe this! They have a lot of OTC hunting. Even for non-residents.

Yea they do. And the VAST majority of bucks are forkies.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74