Ice reports?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a cousin in Bismarck from Cali that has never ice fished before, I was hoping to take him to a pot hole lake somewhere to hook up with a few slimers, Hes leaving in a couple days. Id guess this cold spell has added some ice to small lakes. Any suggestions where to try, dont plan on being deep or going far from shore...

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
I have a cousin in Bismarck from Cali that has never ice fished before, I was hoping to take him to a pot hole lake somewhere to hook up with a few slimers, Hes leaving in a couple days. Id guess this cold spell has added some ice to small lakes. Any suggestions where to try, dont plan on being deep or going far from shore...

Not sure how far you want to travel, but Crooked Lake has got lots of slimers. I saw last week Friday a guy had walked all the way across the lake and set up a portable. Should be plenty of ice now.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The weather outlook for the next 10 days isn't looking good for ice. 40's are coming back soon.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The weather outlook for the next 10 days isn't looking good for ice. 40's are coming back soon.

But its not the big warm up --- this is crazy --- i guess i remember winters like this -- i remember cutting frozen hide off deer (not mine as we always did it right away) but helping buddies where a unheated garage froze the skin so tight.

I want some 60s and maybe a stray 70. I dont see that in the forecast

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
But its not the big warm up --- this is crazy --- i guess i remember winters like this -- i remember cutting frozen hide off deer (not mine as we always did it right away) but helping buddies where a unheated garage froze the skin so tight.

I want some 60s and maybe a stray 70. I dont see that in the forecast

heard Hobart is going

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hobart is hot hot hot!!!!! be quick be nimble - get your bucket full before the warden comes looking 4 ya

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
already ice rescue on upper red --- ice broke apart and now they are putting fishermen in a floaty raft and getting them across the open water.

All the reports i see on Facebook -- everybody wants to stick chest out and say --- "I was first" -- mind you no pictures of fish. I have not seen one fish post -- its all ice ice ice baby.

Whats going to happen -- the DNR and GNF - (will happen in MN first) -- will change the law to no ice fishing until January. i dont want to waste my tax dollars on people that go on the ice to early.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
People have been fishing Audubon bays and small lakes in the area since last Wednesday already. After this cold I'd assume there's going to be an abundance of safe walking ice. Just take your time and check conditions often.

Probably not the worst idea to wear orange this weekend even while fishing.

are suggesting the orange will help them spot your body at the bottom of the lake?

Bob

Lycanthrope:

Try Cottonwood Lake south 12th in town here, Bismarck. Game and Fish threw a couple hundred northerns in there this spring and I know a lot were caught but I'm sure there some in there yet.

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went ice fishing today on sak earliest I've ever been out.
Ice was 6 inches 15 ft 4 inches in 23 ft and 2.5 inches in 30 ft IMG_20191113_134351427.jpgIMG_20191113_134351427.jpg

Trey5150

5 inches at the spillway ramp on Darling. Large pressure ridge opened at landing 2. All the water deteriorated the ice. It did not look safe on that side of the lake.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
we melted some here today and with temps in the 40's and some 50's next week hope it is gone:D

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Fished Audubon Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Stayed in the refuge, ice was between 5-7 inches most places. Conditions were deteriorating Sunday though, probably won't be out for a while. Caught a few walleyes each day.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75