Ice reports?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allot off open water still out there! The new snow definitely makes it and the standing corn easy to spot.

Screenshot_20191201-165230.jpg

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not making much ice with these kind of temps. Maybe by Feb?

Jm1986

Founding Member
Founding Member
Went to 3 mile on audubon. Solid 6 inches of ice and no snow. However; there is open water not that far from the bays. I suspect the geese are keeping it open. I don’t think it will be long before the whole lake is froze over. I would say by next week sometime there will be people driving on the bays in light vehicles.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
OAHE at Fort Yates is now frozen over! No open water in site.

Weekender

★★★ Legendary Member
Not recommending anyone do this by any means... But I saw a dually pickup pulling an ice castle on the ice in the refuge on Audubon. Lots of vehicles going around on the ice.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
There are large areas on many lakes that just froze over this week. This ice will be very iffy all year. That ice is probably only a few inches thick while the rest is close to a foot by now. I won’t be taking a vehicle on the ice for a while.

kite

I posted this question in a different part of the site, but thought this thread may be a better place for it. Thanks.

Is there ever any concern with water moving through the McClusky canal between the lakes (New Johns, Heckers, Park, etc.) and that moving water keeping the ice thin? Also, has anyone ever ice fished in the canal itself?

Miller Time

Anyone have an update on the thickness on Audubon in nelson bay? I am wanting to pull the 16’ permanent out this weekend but don’t want to make the trip if it’s not thick enough.

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone have an update on the thickness on Audubon in nelson bay? I am wanting to pull the 16’ permanent out this weekend but don’t want to make the trip if it’s not thick enough.

i was there on Sunday and Monday. First day was south of the main access, Monday was out on the point. Solid 10-11 inches then and it’s been pretty cold since. Your call, but I would guess it’s 12-13 or more now.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I posted this question in a different part of the site, but thought this thread may be a better place for it. Thanks.

Is there ever any concern with water moving through the McClusky canal between the lakes (New Johns, Heckers, Park, etc.) and that moving water keeping the ice thin? Also, has anyone ever ice fished in the canal itself?

I used to fish the mouth of the canal where it opened into 1 of the lakes. THERE WAS ALWAYS THIN ICE in these necked down areas so be careful. I had very good fishing at times though and I could be on 2 feet of ice and there would be open water 30 yards away from me. I never did fish right in the middle of any of the canals though.

BRK

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to fish the mouth of the canal where it opened into 1 of the lakes. THERE WAS ALWAYS THIN ICE in these necked down areas so be careful. I had very good fishing at times though and I could be on 2 feet of ice and there would be open water 30 yards away from me. I never did fish right in the middle of any of the canals though.

I used to ice fish the canal on occasion when I lived in the McClusky area. usually went dead center and used to pull some dandy perch from it.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
i was there on Sunday and Monday. First day was south of the main access, Monday was out on the point. Solid 10-11 inches then and it’s been pretty cold since. Your call, but I would guess it’s 12-13 or more now.

I was on Audubon/Turtle Lake ramp area Saturday...had 10 solid...guys were running all over on 4 wheelers. Think you are right...by the weekend I'd be surprised if the bays didn't have 12-13...maybe more.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76