New ND State Record

Dirty

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I’ve had moose meat many times. It is at the very top of the list of Wild game meat for me and I prefer it over beef. Like anything (including beef) you have to take care of it.
I can't help but wonder if the moose eyexer has tasted was shot in 90 degree weather and left to lay in a slough for three days and then was prepared by the worst chef ever. Something doesn’t add up because I have never, and I mean NEVER heard an opinion like that about moose meat. And you’ve had it many times?
Honestly, that doesn’t add up. It is one of the easiest meats to taste well no matter what you do with it and it is tender as can be. Whoever is cooking for you should stop because they are doing you a serious disservice.
If you’re the cook, you should take up doing dishes instead. I’m not trying to be an ass. I’m serious...you are missing out big time.

I’ve heard the same thing said about antelope and that is my #2 favorite game meat.
However, I’ve seen plenty of times how some folks handle those after shooting them (top of the car or in the pickup
Bed with hide still on driving around during the warmest hours of the late summer heat in a cloud of scoria dust) so it doesn’t surprise me when people say they taste like shit.

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I still can't get over the fact that this guy paid $30 to hunt such an amazing animal! I realize that the odds of getting drawn aren't that great, but when you do get drawn, oh boy! This is such an awesome state where we get the opportunity to hunt a freaking moose for practically nothing! You pay way more than that to hunt elk in other states, and the odds of getting drawn are so much better! Makes it not as desirable IMO. Congrats to Mr. Ellingson for the amazing kill on such an awesome animal!

Can't wait for my turn!!

- - - Updated - - -

I'd hunt a moose but man what to do with the meat. It's tough as hell and tastes like ass

What kind of ass? There are different types ya know! Is it grass fed? Properly trimmed and cleaned? Really though, to each their own I guess...

Last edited:

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd hunt a moose but man what to do with the meat. It's tough as hell and tastes like ass[/QUOTE]

We have eaten 4 different moose in our past years of hunting (3 Alaskan and 1 Montana) and not 1 was tough or tasted bad. Don't know if you are talking first hand but if you are the one you got must have been a rarity as any one that we have talked to that ate moose has no complaints at all. Not saying it can't happen.

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just finishing up a moose my son shot last year. I've never heard anyone say it tastes nothing but good. Most commented that it tastes like grass fed beef. Very good.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
The worst piece of ass I have ever had was outstanding.:;:muahaha

I'd hunt a moose but man what to do with the meat. It's tough as hell and tastes like ass

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never heard anyone that has had moose not like it. It's by far the best wild game meat I've ever had. Tender and tastes better then aged beef.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
So moose aren't grass eaters? Doesn't seem that way as most of the moose on the prairie that I see during the summer are standing in soybeans, sunflowers, or corn. They will also stand in water eating the tender plants growing up from the bottom. Yes, they will also shrubs but they are also plants.

I for one am one of those who thinks moose is the best wild game to eat as far as mammals are concerned. Love moose roast that is slow-cooked or braised. You do have to cook with some moisture because of low-fat there is little moisture in the grain of the meat.

- - - Updated - - -

Have no idea, I did see a picture of a really nice bull and heard from some who were there that it might be a new state record. Have no idea how to score a moose other than a quick look at the score sheet. This bull was 50+ in width but I think the real score comes in tine length and this bull had long tines and 12-15 on each side and long paddles. Never heard a final score other than he was big. Then again I don't even know what the state record score is.

State record or not, no one would pass up this bull. Well, some liberals might but there is no explaining them.

That's not the bull I saw but it wasn't far off that. Long tines and good width and paddles. Would be interesting to see the difference in score. Truth is I will most likely never hear the score of the one I was talking about.

Truth is big is big and it seems like there were quite a few big bulls shot this year. For me, any bull ofer 40" is nice and over 50 is big. Add in that any moose is an accomplishment. As I've commented many times, the hunt is the trophy.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only had it twice. one was a ND bull the other Alaskan. first time I chalked it up to a bad one. Second one was the same. so I haven't had any more. Now with all this talk how good they are I'll probably just poach one and see

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got a 1990 moose, worst wild meat I ever had, threw it all away

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Not sure what it taste like neither, the best piece of ass i had i never did taste it but it was excellent as I am sure roosters was also. db

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Back to the topic of state record moose. Any more details? Good for that guy!!!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
What an amazing animal, congratulations to the hunter with the new state record!!!

Eyexer, are you saying moose aren't ever eating when they're observed in corn, sunflowers, canola, or soybeans?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know where to see better quality photos of the new record? The resolution in that article is lame.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74