On Star

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keeps bugging me. I really don't think I need it, don't want it and I know they are already monitoring my truck anyway. What do most do ? Do most subscribe or not?

Thanks for any thoughts.

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I let it run out after the first free year. Only thing I thought was handy was starting your car from the phone.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
When it first come out I really liked it. At a local dealer they changed my fuel filter in my diesel, but didn't prime it sufficiently. Camping at 10k feet in Colorado my truck would not start in the morning. I hit on star and they had me pinpointed. They also put me in contact with the GM dealer in Durango. They sent a flatbed up, loaded my truck, and got me into Durango in time to get on the steam locomotive to Silverton. They picked us up on our return and my truck was ready.

Three years ago in Yosemite National Park I got shingles for the third time. I needed to get in touch with my doctor and have him send a prescription to the first town we would encounter outside of Kings Canyon where we were headed next. I was disappointed that I had Verison service before on star service. I found they had switched from satellite to cell towers. At least that's what a lady I contacted told me. So for me it's worthless. The three month free trial on our new Travers is up next week, but I cancelled three days ago before heading out for deer season.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
When traveling we hook up to OnStar for the WiFi part. 15-20 bucks a month. When not needed we cancel until the next trip if over a month or 2 away.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
My friend's kid locked himself in their truck when it was -30. They called onstar to open it for them. They weren't subscribed but they were able to pay for a subscription and get their kid out. So honestly, if you really need it, just call them and set it up if you can.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine is inactive as I did not press the button to initiate the service. As per starting the car I believe it would be cheaper to install a remote starter than paying for then monthly subscription fees. The starter fob sending a signal that I currently have will not reach 100ft, so some kind of remote starter is necessary.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have used OnStar on my last 3 pickups. Like it and argue with my wife every time I get billed. She thinks it's a cost that isn't necessary and I like it. Gives us something to discuss every time I get billed. In the winter I really like the phone starter as it is long distance instead of being within a 110'. Is it necessary? Lived for many years without it. Hell I lived for at least 50 years without a phone hooked to a line or that didn't go with me out of the house. Just one of those expenses that I like. Same argument when I put special rims on the latest pickup. Useful? Nope. But I like the way they look.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 2015 GMC came with 5 years of the phone start option, it is pretty sweet during the winter since the remote starter fob is about worthless. When my 5 years is up ill probably just deal with the remote starter unless i can just activate the phone thing for like 3 months at a time.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did not have it on my 2012 GMC. Funny story I took a call from a young lady with the sales pitch and after she got done I agreed that it is a great thing and said I really don't like the monthly fee so I offered her that I would pay $25 for every time I used the service. She of course said they could not do that. I upped it to $50 then $75 then even $100 each time I needed it she got sort of flustered. And finally just got rid of me. When you are over 70 your allowed to play those games.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
They kept emailing me telling me my tires were underinflated. I checked them with my tire pressure gauge. Everything was fine. Another email from them about low tire pressure. Checked tires with a different gauge. fine. After a third email from Onstar stating underinflated tires, I dropped them.

onpoint!

Established Member
we subscribe, have it on the main car for several years. put on 100 phone minutes just in case i don't have my phone or can't find it after a wreck. it's insurance, we drive 35k miles/year and it give me some peace of mind so it's worth it for me - everyone values POM differently; while i can afford it, it's a no-brainer.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74