Old Guns

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My dad bought his 303 from Monkey-wards in 1958, paid 29$ and change for it. A lot of the wood was cut down to make it more of a sport model. That bronze butt plate that is 1/2 thick really gave me some black and blue when I first started to shoot it. Did get a half dozen deer with it. About the same as a 30-30. Got my own rifle in 72, Rem 788 in 308 cal. 4 power tasco wide angle scope. That gun was a killing machine, real accurate gun, paid 129$ for it, close to 1/2 a months pay back then. Still have it but did put a Ram-line stock on it, the old wood was getting really beat up. Might have to drag it out for one more hunt someday.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also shot my first deer with a sportsterized 303 British that kicked like a mule when i was just a young lad. Bought the gun for 15 dollars.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dad also had a Japanese ww2 rifle with the emperors stamp still on it that was changed to 300 savage, my nephew ended up with that one

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Czech BRNO from the previous page is 7x57 loaded w/120gn TSX’s @ 7-08ish velocities.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have my Grandpa's Remington Model 14 chambered in 25 Remington (equavilant to the 25-35 Win) that he bought new in 1914. He and my Grandma killed a lot of game with that rifle and it became my Grandma's "kitchen" rifle on the ranch.

She spent most of the spring one year raising flowers from seeds next to the wood stove in the living room. When it got warm enough to put them out on the porch outside the kitchen where she could see them was a great day. Sometime that summer she chased a BIG bull elk off the porch twice for eating her flowers, third time the same morning she opened the kitchen window and "BOOM" one shot between the eyes and he was dead on the porch. She told me and a buddy to "git that sumbitch off her porch and hang it in the barn". We took the bucket on the tractor to get it up and out where we could gut it, skin it then hung it in the barn. It's probably the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life to this day.

I've killed a few deer and an antelope with it and still like getting it out to shoot once in a while.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have my Grandpa's Remington Model 14 chambered in 25 Remington (equavilant to the 25-35 Win) that he bought new in 1914. He and my Grandma killed a lot of game with that rifle and it became my Grandma's "kitchen" rifle on the ranch.

She spent most of the spring one year raising flowers from seeds next to the wood stove in the living room. When it got warm enough to put them out on the porch outside the kitchen where she could see them was a great day. Sometime that summer she chased a BIG bull elk off the porch twice for eating her flowers, third time the same morning she opened the kitchen window and "BOOM" one shot between the eyes and he was dead on the porch. She told me and a buddy to "git that sumbitch off her porch and hang it in the barn". We took the bucket on the tractor to get it up and out where we could gut it, skin it then hung it in the barn. It's probably the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life to this day.

I've killed a few deer and an antelope with it and still like getting it out to shoot once in a while.

Pics or it didn't happen.. :;:howdy
(Coolest story I've read in awhile btw..)

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
there are guys that still shoot those old rifles in competition. Even here in ND you can get into an M1 Garand match, 1903 Springfield, 303 British, etc.

I'm sure those cowboy action competitions still use old pre-64 Winchesters and older marlin rifles.

Fun stuff, I'm jealous of you guys that own some of those old rifles.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread brings back memories,I remember paging through Herters catalog back in the 60's I think?,folks were poor but I wanted a deer rifle,the old british 303 I was eye ballin was under $50 but never had the $ to buy one.family members did'nt rifle hunt so it never happened just kept my bow in hand for big game and other critters,most of what little money I had went to duck hunting/pheasants and girls early in life.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad had all three model 100's 243/308/284 the other two went to my brothers. my serial # says 63 but my stock looks to be from a later date not sure why

he used the 308 for 40 or so years all the way through his final hunt which my son was present In the stand with him. He was going throug chemo and was shakey so when he shot at a doe he missed. He then tried to convince my son to shoot his deer for him which he refused and my dad ended up shooting the next doe that came in. that following year after he passed my 12 yr old sons request was to use the same 308 out of the same stand to take his first doe.

All 3 ? what about the .358 !, I have all 4 in the pre 64 model 88's

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
All 3 ? what about the .358 !, I have all 4 in the pre 64 model 88's

Regarding the 88/100's, I'm fairly certain that the 358Win was only available in the 88.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
SDMF is right the .358 was in the 88 which is a lever action but was never available in the 100 which is a semi-auto.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don''t collect guns but do still use my dad's "deer rifle" , and his shotgun. Rifle is a .270, a modern rifle by today's standards and his Browning Auto-5 (Belgian). Did have the rifle refinished, older Remington so not really a collector but still shoots accurately and the Browning is smooth as silk. Only thing ever done to that is the bolt broke and was replaced. Every time I use either of them it's MEMORIES as he left for better hunting many years ago.

eseamands

Founding Member
Founding Member
gpa buck 2015.jpg
I'm not sure if this picture will show up great, as it's from my Dad's ancient flip phone he had a few years ago. But my Grandpa Jim has had a .303 British for many years. In 2015 he decided he would get a buck tag again, as he usually just shoots a doe. There was a whitetail bedded in some pretty thick brush near the farm, so my dad suggested to him that he should leave his Remington 700 ADL at home, as he was likely going to have a close shot if it got up, and finding in the scope would be a bit difficult.

So he wandered to his gun safe and grabbed his old British .303 and got the job done. Was a fun hunt. He was 80 at the time.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
This thread brings back memories,I remember paging through Herters catalog back in the 60's I think?,folks were poor but I wanted a deer rifle,the old british 303 I was eye ballin was under $50 but never had the $ to buy one.family members did'nt rifle hunt so it never happened just kept my bow in hand for big game and other critters,most of what little money I had went to duck hunting/pheasants and girls early in life.
Local sport shops loved the 1968 gun bill that stopped us from ordering in catalogs. My dad paid $19.99 for a 6.5x55 Swede. The beat up ones were $9.99, slightly used were $19.99 and unused were $29.99 I wish I had that old 6.5, but it was gone long ago. I did get a model 43 Winchester in 22 Hornet. That old gun takes .223 bullets rather than .224 and they are hard to find. I shot my first deer with that diminutive round and now my son in Montana has it. I may have to beg a couple of shots off him next time I go out. It reminds me of winter walks in deep snow in our pasture with dad. As small as it was it still did a lot of damage to fox furs.

Trapper62

Founding Member
Founding Member
love the old ones and have a few.
But one day maybe my model 92 in 25-20 from way back when will shoot the same kind of deer that Jordan shot with his model 92 in 25-20.
I have brought it along with me but then when i actually go on the hunt i somehow lose faith in the 25-20 and end up with a larger caliber by my side. It just is not a deer caliber but still better than that worthless 223.
I have also hunted with a 284 in a model 100, biggest problem with that gun is a problem with the firing pin and there was a recall on that.
No longer have but every time is see one it normally is in 308 which would be better and then i am also fuzz on the way the checking was put on. About 5-600 dollars so just need to let lose of some funds.
Have thought about my model 65 in 218 bee. But not a deer caliber. I guess the one i love best is a model 70 from 1938 in 22 k hornet. It's best i stick with my bow for deer hunting. db

I've been thinking (and doing) the same thing for years, I have my dads old 25-20 and 218 Bee, zeroed them in and shot them but never had the guts to actually try to shoot a deer with one, maybe someday?

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
202989233_130109572602909_2085733262927391147_n.jpg
I'm not sure if this picture will show up great, as it's from my Dad's ancient flip phone he had a few years ago. But my Grandpa Jim has had a .303 British for many years. In 2015 he decided he would get a buck tag again, as he usually just shoots a doe. There was a whitetail bedded in some pretty thick brush near the farm, so my dad suggested to him that he should leave his Remington 700 ADL at home, as he was likely going to have a close shot if it got up, and finding in the scope would be a bit difficult.

So he wandered to his gun safe and grabbed his old British .303 and got the job done. Was a fun hunt. He was 80 at the time.
Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76