User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 21 to 40 of 40

    Thread: Old Guns

    1. Back To Top    #21
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      SE ND
      Posts
      3,351
      NDA Points
      18,861
      NDA Level
      59
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,593
      Given: 2,920
      My dad bought his 303 from Monkey-wards in 1958, paid 29$ and change for it. A lot of the wood was cut down to make it more of a sport model. That bronze butt plate that is 1/2 thick really gave me some black and blue when I first started to shoot it. Did get a half dozen deer with it. About the same as a 30-30. Got my own rifle in 72, Rem 788 in 308 cal. 4 power tasco wide angle scope. That gun was a killing machine, real accurate gun, paid 129$ for it, close to 1/2 a months pay back then. Still have it but did put a Ram-line stock on it, the old wood was getting really beat up. Might have to drag it out for one more hunt someday.

      0 Not allowed!

    2. Back To Top    #22
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Enjoying Life
       
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      brokenbackjack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Central, AZ
      Posts
      2,166
      NDA Points
      14,232
      NDA Level
      51
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,171
      Given: 10,796
      I also shot my first deer with a sportsterized 303 British that kicked like a mule when i was just a young lad. Bought the gun for 15 dollars.

      1 Not allowed!
      God, Family, Country, Green Bay Packers!

      Johnny 7


    3. Back To Top    #23
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      570
      NDA Points
      28,316
      NDA Level
      73
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 442
      Given: 377
      Classifieds
      1
      my dad had a 303 savage

      0 Not allowed!

    4. Back To Top    #24
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Obi-Wan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      2,177
      NDA Points
      168,315
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,904
      Given: 2,616
      Dad also had a Japanese ww2 rifle with the emperors stamp still on it that was changed to 300 savage, my nephew ended up with that one

      0 Not allowed!
      I don't always get negative reps..... But when I do it's because some crybaby couldn't handle my posts!

    5. Back To Top    #25
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      3,742
      NDA Points
      43,350
      NDA Level
      91
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,893
      Given: 228
      Classifieds
      1
      Czech BRNO from the previous page is 7x57 loaded w/120gn TSX’s @ 7-08ish velocities.

      2 Not allowed!
      I can explain it for you, but I can’t understand it for you.

    6. Back To Top    #26
      Ultimate VIP Member
      WTFO?
       
      Mood:
      Piratey
       
      2400's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      Northern AZ
      Posts
      3,670
      NDA Points
      3,156,019
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 10,217
      Given: 14,689
      I have my Grandpa's Remington Model 14 chambered in 25 Remington (equavilant to the 25-35 Win) that he bought new in 1914. He and my Grandma killed a lot of game with that rifle and it became my Grandma's "kitchen" rifle on the ranch.

      She spent most of the spring one year raising flowers from seeds next to the wood stove in the living room. When it got warm enough to put them out on the porch outside the kitchen where she could see them was a great day. Sometime that summer she chased a BIG bull elk off the porch twice for eating her flowers, third time the same morning she opened the kitchen window and "BOOM" one shot between the eyes and he was dead on the porch. She told me and a buddy to "git that sumbitch off her porch and hang it in the barn". We took the bucket on the tractor to get it up and out where we could gut it, skin it then hung it in the barn. It's probably the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life to this day.

      I've killed a few deer and an antelope with it and still like getting it out to shoot once in a while.

      9 Not allowed!
      D.A.V. - M.O.P.H. - Life Member

    7. Back To Top    #27
      Ultimate VIP Member
      Enjoying Life
       
      Mood:
      Happy
       
      brokenbackjack's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Central, AZ
      Posts
      2,166
      NDA Points
      14,232
      NDA Level
      51
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,171
      Given: 10,796
      They sure bring back some pleasant memories don't they?

      2 Not allowed!
      God, Family, Country, Green Bay Packers!

      Johnny 7


    8. Back To Top    #28
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      NW Angle, MN and Little Chicago, ND
      Posts
      1,036
      NDA Points
      20,319
      NDA Level
      62
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,472
      Given: 2,754
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by brokenbackjack View Post
      They sure bring back some pleasant memories don't they?

      Kind of like the 60's music or looking in the back seat of a 54 Ford, 56 Chevy, 65 Chevelle, 68 Roadrunner alot of flashbacks there too.

      2 Not allowed!
      "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Porky Pine 12/25/1973

    9. Back To Top    #29
      Premium Member
      Somewhere on a beach
       
      Mood:
      Piratey
       
      Rut2much's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Devils lake
      Posts
      628
      NDA Points
      70,306
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 731
      Given: 1,546
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by 2400 View Post
      I have my Grandpa's Remington Model 14 chambered in 25 Remington (equavilant to the 25-35 Win) that he bought new in 1914. He and my Grandma killed a lot of game with that rifle and it became my Grandma's "kitchen" rifle on the ranch.

      She spent most of the spring one year raising flowers from seeds next to the wood stove in the living room. When it got warm enough to put them out on the porch outside the kitchen where she could see them was a great day. Sometime that summer she chased a BIG bull elk off the porch twice for eating her flowers, third time the same morning she opened the kitchen window and "BOOM" one shot between the eyes and he was dead on the porch. She told me and a buddy to "git that sumbitch off her porch and hang it in the barn". We took the bucket on the tractor to get it up and out where we could gut it, skin it then hung it in the barn. It's probably the biggest elk I've ever seen in my life to this day.

      I've killed a few deer and an antelope with it and still like getting it out to shoot once in a while.
      Pics or it didn't happen..
      (Coolest story I've read in awhile btw..)

      0 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #30
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      sierra1995's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      270
      NDA Points
      7,447
      NDA Level
      36
      Report Entries
      6
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 147
      Given: 175
      there are guys that still shoot those old rifles in competition. Even here in ND you can get into an M1 Garand match, 1903 Springfield, 303 British, etc.

      I'm sure those cowboy action competitions still use old pre-64 Winchesters and older marlin rifles.

      Fun stuff, I'm jealous of you guys that own some of those old rifles.

      0 Not allowed!

    11. Back To Top    #31
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      snow's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 2015
      Posts
      1,178
      NDA Points
      72,719
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,201
      Given: 373
      This thread brings back memories,I remember paging through Herters catalog back in the 60's I think?,folks were poor but I wanted a deer rifle,the old british 303 I was eye ballin was under $50 but never had the $ to buy one.family members did'nt rifle hunt so it never happened just kept my bow in hand for big game and other critters,most of what little money I had went to duck hunting/pheasants and girls early in life.

      1 Not allowed!

    12. Back To Top    #32
      Bronze Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Oct 2015
      Posts
      30
      NDA Points
      3,685
      NDA Level
      25
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 13
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by Obi-Wan View Post
      My dad had all three model 100's 243/308/284 the other two went to my brothers. my serial # says 63 but my stock looks to be from a later date not sure why

      he used the 308 for 40 or so years all the way through his final hunt which my son was present In the stand with him. He was going throug chemo and was shakey so when he shot at a doe he missed. He then tried to convince my son to shoot his deer for him which he refused and my dad ended up shooting the next doe that came in. that following year after he passed my 12 yr old sons request was to use the same 308 out of the same stand to take his first doe.


      All 3 ? what about the .358 !, I have all 4 in the pre 64 model 88's

      2 Not allowed!

    13. Back To Top    #33
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      SDMF's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      3,742
      NDA Points
      43,350
      NDA Level
      91
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,893
      Given: 228
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by snowcat View Post
      All 3 ? what about the .358 !, I have all 4 in the pre 64 model 88's
      Regarding the 88/100's, I'm fairly certain that the 358Win was only available in the 88.

      1 Not allowed!
      I can explain it for you, but I can’t understand it for you.

    14. Back To Top    #34
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Obi-Wan's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      2,177
      NDA Points
      168,315
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,904
      Given: 2,616
      SDMF is right the .358 was in the 88 which is a lever action but was never available in the 100 which is a semi-auto.

      1 Not allowed!
      I don't always get negative reps..... But when I do it's because some crybaby couldn't handle my posts!

    15. Back To Top    #35
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2016
      Location
      North Dakota
      Posts
      1,096
      NDA Points
      5,924
      NDA Level
      32
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,225
      Given: 385
      I don''t collect guns but do still use my dad's "deer rifle" , and his shotgun. Rifle is a .270, a modern rifle by today's standards and his Browning Auto-5 (Belgian). Did have the rifle refinished, older Remington so not really a collector but still shoots accurately and the Browning is smooth as silk. Only thing ever done to that is the bolt broke and was replaced. Every time I use either of them it's MEMORIES as he left for better hunting many years ago.

      3 Not allowed!

    16. Back To Top    #36
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      eseamands's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Bismarck
      Posts
      137
      NDA Points
      54,436
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      22
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 545
      Given: 1,401
      Name:  gpa buck 2015.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  94.2 KB
      I'm not sure if this picture will show up great, as it's from my Dad's ancient flip phone he had a few years ago. But my Grandpa Jim has had a .303 British for many years. In 2015 he decided he would get a buck tag again, as he usually just shoots a doe. There was a whitetail bedded in some pretty thick brush near the farm, so my dad suggested to him that he should leave his Remington 700 ADL at home, as he was likely going to have a close shot if it got up, and finding in the scope would be a bit difficult.

      So he wandered to his gun safe and grabbed his old British .303 and got the job done. Was a fun hunt. He was 80 at the time.

      8 Not allowed!

    17. Back To Top    #37
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Awesome
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      NW Angle, MN and Little Chicago, ND
      Posts
      1,036
      NDA Points
      20,319
      NDA Level
      62
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 1,472
      Given: 2,754
      Classifieds
      1
      ​Awesome! ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Thanks for sharing.

      1 Not allowed!
      "Don't take life so serious, son. It ain't nohow permanent." Porky Pine 12/25/1973

    18. Back To Top    #38
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Location
      Drifting the high plains
      Posts
      3,803
      NDA Points
      37,421
      NDA Level
      84
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,255
      Given: 2,592
      Quote Originally Posted by snow View Post
      This thread brings back memories,I remember paging through Herters catalog back in the 60's I think?,folks were poor but I wanted a deer rifle,the old british 303 I was eye ballin was under $50 but never had the $ to buy one.family members did'nt rifle hunt so it never happened just kept my bow in hand for big game and other critters,most of what little money I had went to duck hunting/pheasants and girls early in life.
      Local sport shops loved the 1968 gun bill that stopped us from ordering in catalogs. My dad paid $19.99 for a 6.5x55 Swede. The beat up ones were $9.99, slightly used were $19.99 and unused were $29.99 I wish I had that old 6.5, but it was gone long ago. I did get a model 43 Winchester in 22 Hornet. That old gun takes .223 bullets rather than .224 and they are hard to find. I shot my first deer with that diminutive round and now my son in Montana has it. I may have to beg a couple of shots off him next time I go out. It reminds me of winter walks in deep snow in our pasture with dad. As small as it was it still did a lot of damage to fox furs.

      1 Not allowed!

    19. Back To Top    #39
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Bottineau County
      Posts
      168
      NDA Points
      19,396
      NDA Level
      60
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 272
      Given: 171
      Quote Originally Posted by db-2 View Post
      love the old ones and have a few.
      But one day maybe my model 92 in 25-20 from way back when will shoot the same kind of deer that Jordan shot with his model 92 in 25-20.
      I have brought it along with me but then when i actually go on the hunt i somehow lose faith in the 25-20 and end up with a larger caliber by my side. It just is not a deer caliber but still better than that worthless 223.
      I have also hunted with a 284 in a model 100, biggest problem with that gun is a problem with the firing pin and there was a recall on that.
      No longer have but every time is see one it normally is in 308 which would be better and then i am also fuzz on the way the checking was put on. About 5-600 dollars so just need to let lose of some funds.
      Have thought about my model 65 in 218 bee. But not a deer caliber. I guess the one i love best is a model 70 from 1938 in 22 k hornet. It's best i stick with my bow for deer hunting. db
      I've been thinking (and doing) the same thing for years, I have my dads old 25-20 and 218 Bee, zeroed them in and shot them but never had the guts to actually try to shoot a deer with one, maybe someday?

      2 Not allowed!

    20. Back To Top    #40
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2018
      Location
      ND
      Posts
      118
      NDA Points
      1,992
      NDA Level
      18
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 106
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by eseamands View Post
      Name:  gpa buck 2015.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  94.2 KB
      I'm not sure if this picture will show up great, as it's from my Dad's ancient flip phone he had a few years ago. But my Grandpa Jim has had a .303 British for many years. In 2015 he decided he would get a buck tag again, as he usually just shoots a doe. There was a whitetail bedded in some pretty thick brush near the farm, so my dad suggested to him that he should leave his Remington 700 ADL at home, as he was likely going to have a close shot if it got up, and finding in the scope would be a bit difficult.

      So he wandered to his gun safe and grabbed his old British .303 and got the job done. Was a fun hunt. He was 80 at the time.
      Awesome story, thanks for sharing!

      1 Not allowed!

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube