Corner hopping

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the law pertaining to corner hopping in ND? I seem to remember it being legal but want to see what the peanut gallery has to say

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its legal, all section lines are public highway.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would make it legal if the property corners in question meet at section corners. Is it still legal otherwise? Not trying to be a dick, asking a serious question. Don’t want someone to get in trouble.

Explain a situation where they wouldnt have a section line on at least one side or an easement. You can't sell a landlocked piece of land in ND without an easement.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
The point where 4 quarters meet in the middle of a section would be such a situation.

Uncle Jimbo

★★★★ Legendary Member
The point where 4 quarters meet in the middle of a section would be such a situation.

And to be 100% in compliance with the law, and remove any legal speculation or gray area, the safest route would be to utilize the section lines and travel the perimeter of the section to access the other quarter.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
That would make it legal if the property corners in question meet at section corners. Is it still legal otherwise? Not trying to be a dick, asking a serious question. Don’t want someone to get in trouble.

My understanding has always been that the owners property line extends to the "center line" of the road or section line. The landowner still owns the land, the easement is just that, and overlays the property.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My understanding has always been that the owners property line extends to the "center line" of the road or section line. The landowner still owns the land, the easement is just that, and overlays the property.

Mostly true. First, section lines are just that, quarter lines are not the same as section lines. Section lines run every mile as opposed to quarter lines which are every 1/2 mile. Section lines overlap some 1/4 lines but not all. I'm sure we all realize that section lines run every mole and quarter lines then divide that section into 4 1/4's.

Some section lines are not owned by the landowner. Case being when some section lines were actually purchased to build a road for example.

Once again it might be just easier to visit with that landowner and save the trouble of an argument. Point out that you are trying to find a legal way to the property you want to hunt.

Another situation is that not all trails are open to the public. The rule states "Normally used for travel" in the situation of driving off the trail for big-game. Had a situation many years ago where a warden thought I was driving off trail and when I told him that this well worn trail was a road. His argument was that it was only used by the farmer and was well worn because of the truck traffic in the fall. He told me a legal trail was "Normally used for travel or a section line." I then reminded him that what I thought was a legal trail was indeed a section line. When he realized that it was a section line all was OK.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have no rights to be out of the city for the next 16 days. All roads are landowners property, and for sure don’t wave while driving by one, ain’t got no time for dat.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
neighbor gal moved here from WY. has horses. was riding in the ditch along county road. some jackass landowner told her she couldn't because he owned it and it's posted. she was telling me this and I laughed. I told her to keep doing it and tell him to fuck himself

Trip McNeely

Founding Member
Founding Member
Parcel I had in mind was at the corner of a section. Small government parcel was accessible from main road, however the only way to access 3 contingent sections of public land was at the corner of accessible parcel and the corner of one of the public sections. Corner was hopped and hunting took place. No one was injured or hurt including adjacent landowner or any deer for that matter. I am a strong advocate for landowner rights in ND, however I am an even bigger advocate for ALL citizens rights in ND. I feel we are pretty fortunate to have good natured common sense landowners in ND but there seems to be a few greedy ones out there who just want to be assholes to those with honest intentions......

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the replies guys and A big thank you to all the landowners who arent complete selfish dickbags.

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
You have no rights to be out of the city for the next 16 days. All roads are landowners property, and for sure don’t wave while driving by one, ain’t got no time for dat.
I can’t tell sometimes if your trying to be a dick on purpose or if it just comes naturally.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I can’t tell sometimes if your trying to be a dick on purpose or if it just comes naturally.

honestly I think he is being extremely sarcastic. I f hes not im a very naïve person
I believe he is taking a jab at arrogant I own everything landowners that seem to appear around deer season and then disappear.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74