Browning BLR

rodcontrol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does anyone on here own a browning BLR? I need some help with firing issues. This gun seems to have a mind of its own!! The rifle will shoot round after round and then it wont, no changes in operation or ammo. The times it does not fire the primer is not struck. The hammer has some fancy safety options that I don't care for. The times the rifle fails to fire I have pushed the trigger up and the gun will then fire.

Curious if anyone else has had these issues with this rifle.

Thanks in advance.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Interesting. What year is yours? I have an old blr in 7mm-08. I’d have to look up the serial number again but I believe it’s a pre 81.

FYI I made the mistake of stripping the whole damn thing apart to give it a thorough cleaning and couldn’t get the thing back together properly. Timing those gears made my brain hurt so I took it to a gunsmith. Talk about humble-pie.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any chance that the failure to fire event you’ve tipped the hammer forward into the “safe” position, maybe by accident? That would explain not having a primer strike.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I had one, early 70s, in .243. It would not fire if cold outside. I traded the SOB off.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had one, early 70s, in .243. It would not fire if cold outside. I traded the SOB off.

A dab or two of lighter/starting fluid down the firing pin hole woulda fixed it, that, and laying off silicone based weasel piss (WD40).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77