Deer Meat

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dressed weight on the table. Bucks, mine have ranged from 40# to supersized at 74#. Does 35# to 40#, for older does. Young of the year 20# to 25#. Wifes doe with slight spots = cookie sheet at best but it was all tender loin.

Last edited:

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
You’re eating a lot of tendons. ;:;barf

it’s better to have 25-40 lbs of really great venison than 40-60 lbs of venison tainted by bitter and inedible fibers that you’re fighting with every bite.

Migrator Man

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dressed weight on the table. Bucks, mine have ranged from 40# to supersized at 74#. Does 35# to 40#, for older does. Young of the year 20# to 25#. Wifes doe with slight spots = cookie sheet at best but it was all tender loin.
What meat don’t you save? You just cutting tendons out and saving the rest?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Silver skin in the sausage grind does not bother me. Fat or tallow does. Not throwing away 10# of venison for a fraction of silver skin. Do trim the silver skin from loins and roast though.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got 30 pounds of ground and about 40 pounds of whole meat (including shanks for stewing/osobucco) off my buck this weekend.

MuleyMadness

★★★★★ Legendary Member
70+ pounds of deer meat off of 1 deer seems to be a huge stretch. you guys must keep everything but the bones. I've never had more than 50 off of a large muley buck.

catbird

Founding Member
Founding Member
70 lbs off one deer I would like to see the meat. there is not going to be very good any thing. I got 35 mpg with my 77 ford pick-up this weekend deer hunting.LOL

8andcounting

Founding Member
Founding Member
70+ pounds of deer meat off of 1 deer seems to be a huge stretch. you guys must keep everything but the bones. I've never had more than 50 off of a large muley buck.
I agree . Seems like my weighed game bag from my Montana mule buck every year is between 45-55 lbs

frozen4sioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
About the most ive ever got out of a single deer.
Maybe 40-45, at most 50lbs of meat.
Was a JFK head shot Muley and by far the tastiest deer ive ever had in 30 years of hunting.
20181121_164740.jpg

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
I call major BS on getting 70 pounds of boned out, cleaned up meat from a deer. I mean MAYBE from a huge mule deer but I'd still be damn skeptical.

love2fish2gether

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year I got 72 lbs trimmed off a White tail buck. The year before I got 63 lbs trimmed off a White tail doe. My carcasses are pretty dang clean when they hit the garbage.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steve Rinella has inspired me to take rib meat and not be so gosh darned picky overall. Think about it, I usually like each and every type of ring sausage I've tried from a processor and we all know they aren't trimming much of anything off. Don't get me wrong, my meat ends up being fairly red. I have 25lbs of ready-to-grind trim off my buck's fronts and some miscellaneous trim. On the other hand, this first-cutting yielded about 7lbs of discard. To this I will add 25lbs of pork butt and make a 50lb batch of ring sausage. I expect around 45lbs from the back quarters, back straps, and some more miscellaneous trim. Due to the larger muscle groups, this meat will be cleaner/redder by default and much of it will be left whole and/or used for jerky. So overall I expect to yield about 70lbs of meat off of a 2 year old buck. I'm still slow though as I think it took me about 2 hours last night to do what I did thus far and I expect to spend another 2 hours tonight finishing the job.

Last edited:

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Steve Rinella has inspired me to take rib meat and not be so gosh darned picky overall. Think about it, I usually like each and every type of ring sausage I've tried from a processor and we all know they aren't trimming much of anything off. Don't get me wrong, my meat ends up being fairly red. I have 25lbs of ready-to-grind trim off my buck's fronts and some miscellaneous trim. On the other hand, this first-cutting yielded about 7lbs of discard. To this I will add 25lbs of pork butt and make a 50lb batch of ring sausage. I expect around 45lbs from the back quarters, back straps, and some more miscellaneous trim. Due to the larger muscle groups, this meat will be cleaner/redder by default and much of it will be left whole and/or used for jerky. So overall I expect to yield about 70lbs of meat off of a 2 year old buck. I'm still slow though as I think it took me about 2 hours last night to do what I did thus far and I expect to spend another 2 hours tonight finishing the job.

Clearly we're liars, though. No way anyone can get 70 pounds of meat off a white-tailed deer when it seems like 50 is the magic number. Moose, maybe. Deer, no way.

:::

I'm a firm believer that more beers does not yield more meat. I stay pretty sober during my carcass-butchering process, and it appears to result in a more filled freezer.

But what do I know. I'm just a schmuck on the Interweb.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Early season 3 year old and older bucks will give you the most meat, before they have screwed them selfs to death. Older dry does are good to cause they have not had a coupla young one hanging on them all year.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Clearly we're liars, though. No way anyone can get 70 pounds of meat off a white-tailed deer when it seems like 50 is the magic number. Moose, maybe. Deer, no way.

:::

I'm a firm believer that more beers does not yield more meat. I stay pretty sober during my carcass-butchering process, and it appears to result in a more filled freezer.

But what do I know. I'm just a schmuck on the Interweb.

Yea, I don't really care what they yield. People consume my products and still say the seemingly obligatory "I don't taste the deer/moose/elk/nutria/bear AT ALL!"

I've processed my own game for years now and weigh everything. FWIW I really like my Weighmax W-2809 90lb stainless steel digital postal scale. I really like the hold function as my Rubbermaid commercial bus totes cover most scale readouts.[h=1][/h]

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
why do people not want to taste said game animal kinda defeats the purpose dont it

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like the high shoulder shot for a variety of reasons. Doubt it will ever get me to 50 pounds of meat on a deer though.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75