User Tag List

  • Amused
  • Angry
  • Annoyed
  • Awesome
  • Bemused
  • Cocky
  • Cool
  • Crazy
  • Crying
  • Down
  • Drunk
  • Embarrassed
  • Enraged
  • Friendly
  • Geeky
  • Grumpy
  • Happy
  • Hungry
  • Innocent
  • Meh
  • Piratey
  • Sad
  • Shy
  • Sneaky
  • WTF!?
  • zzz
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Results 1 to 20 of 30

    Thread: Deer Meat

    1. Back To Top    #1
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      SE ND
      Posts
      3,351
      NDA Points
      18,861
      NDA Level
      59
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,592
      Given: 2,919

      Deer Meat

      Dressed weight on the table. Bucks, mine have ranged from 40# to supersized at 74#. Does 35# to 40#, for older does. Young of the year 20# to 25#. Wifes doe with slight spots = cookie sheet at best but it was all tender loin.

      0 Not allowed!
      Last edited by LBrandt; 11-11-2019 at 07:31 AM.

    2. Back To Top    #2
      Ultimate VIP Member
      In flux
       
      Mood:
      Enraged
       
      Bed Wetter's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      right behind you.
      Posts
      3,133
      NDA Points
      148,259
      NDA Level
      100
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 4,181
      Given: 5,628
      You’re eating a lot of tendons.

      it’s better to have 25-40 lbs of really great venison than 40-60 lbs of venison tainted by bitter and inedible fibers that you’re fighting with every bite.

      5 Not allowed!
      If you're reading this post and find yourself muttering, "he can't be serious", there's a good chance I'm not.

      “Wentz won't win one much less 5 or six.” -Kurtr, 1/21/18

    3. Back To Top    #3
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      10,492
      NDA Points
      274,396
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 14,856
      Given: 13,836
      oops... just saw this - after I posted my trim question

      oh well

      0 Not allowed!
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    4. Back To Top    #4
      VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Feb 2016
      Posts
      1,184
      NDA Points
      10,385
      NDA Level
      43
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 853
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by LBrandt View Post
      Dressed weight on the table. Bucks, mine have ranged from 40# to supersized at 74#. Does 35# to 40#, for older does. Young of the year 20# to 25#. Wifes doe with slight spots = cookie sheet at best but it was all tender loin.
      What meat don’t you save? You just cutting tendons out and saving the rest?

      0 Not allowed!

    5. Back To Top    #5
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      SE ND
      Posts
      3,351
      NDA Points
      18,861
      NDA Level
      59
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,592
      Given: 2,919
      Silver skin in the sausage grind does not bother me. Fat or tallow does. Not throwing away 10# of venison for a fraction of silver skin. Do trim the silver skin from loins and roast though.

      0 Not allowed!

    6. Back To Top    #6
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Duckslayer100's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      ND's Flatter Half
      Posts
      1,989
      NDA Points
      60,895
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,826
      Given: 4,430
      Classifieds
      1
      I got 30 pounds of ground and about 40 pounds of whole meat (including shanks for stewing/osobucco) off my buck this weekend.

      1 Not allowed!
      Remember to always practice CPR: Catch, Pickle and Refrigerate!

    7. Back To Top    #7
      Gold Member
      Chasing Muleys
       
      Mood:
      WTF!?
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Dickinson, ND
      Posts
      181
      NDA Points
      22,387
      NDA Level
      65
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 307
      Given: 1,560
      70+ pounds of deer meat off of 1 deer seems to be a huge stretch. you guys must keep everything but the bones. I've never had more than 50 off of a large muley buck.

      5 Not allowed!

    8. Back To Top    #8
      Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      17
      NDA Points
      3,773
      NDA Level
      25
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 31
      Given: 1
      70 lbs off one deer I would like to see the meat. there is not going to be very good any thing. I got 35 mpg with my 77 ford pick-up this weekend deer hunting.LOL

      0 Not allowed!

    9. Back To Top    #9
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Nov 2015
      Posts
      390
      NDA Points
      3,545
      NDA Level
      24
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 305
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by MuleyMadness View Post
      70+ pounds of deer meat off of 1 deer seems to be a huge stretch. you guys must keep everything but the bones. I've never had more than 50 off of a large muley buck.
      I agree . Seems like my weighed game bag from my Montana mule buck every year is between 45-55 lbs

      0 Not allowed!

    10. Back To Top    #10
      Gold Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      Jul 2015
      Posts
      113
      NDA Points
      6,845
      NDA Level
      35
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 176
      Given: 93
      About the most ive ever got out of a single deer.
      Maybe 40-45, at most 50lbs of meat.
      Was a JFK head shot Muley and by far the tastiest deer ive ever had in 30 years of hunting.
      Name:  20181121_164740.jpg
Views: 849
Size:  102.8 KB

      2 Not allowed!

    11. Back To Top    #11
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Posts
      397
      NDA Points
      13,628
      NDA Level
      50
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 265
      Given: 130
      I call major BS on getting 70 pounds of boned out, cleaned up meat from a deer. I mean MAYBE from a huge mule deer but I'd still be damn skeptical.

      4 Not allowed!

    12. Back To Top    #12
      Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       

      Join Date
      May 2015
      Posts
      20
      NDA Points
      3,641
      NDA Level
      25
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 8
      Given: 1
      Last year I got 72 lbs trimmed off a White tail buck. The year before I got 63 lbs trimmed off a White tail doe. My carcasses are pretty dang clean when they hit the garbage.

      1 Not allowed!

    13. Back To Top    #13
      Gold Member
      Chasing Muleys
       
      Mood:
      WTF!?
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2017
      Location
      Dickinson, ND
      Posts
      181
      NDA Points
      22,387
      NDA Level
      65
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 307
      Given: 1,560
      HAHA the most i have gotten off of a WT doe is 25

      0 Not allowed!

    14. Back To Top    #14
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      You's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      In front.
      Posts
      723
      NDA Points
      12,040
      NDA Level
      47
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 533
      Given: 0
      Steve Rinella has inspired me to take rib meat and not be so gosh darned picky overall. Think about it, I usually like each and every type of ring sausage I've tried from a processor and we all know they aren't trimming much of anything off. Don't get me wrong, my meat ends up being fairly red. I have 25lbs of ready-to-grind trim off my buck's fronts and some miscellaneous trim. On the other hand, this first-cutting yielded about 7lbs of discard. To this I will add 25lbs of pork butt and make a 50lb batch of ring sausage. I expect around 45lbs from the back quarters, back straps, and some more miscellaneous trim. Due to the larger muscle groups, this meat will be cleaner/redder by default and much of it will be left whole and/or used for jerky. So overall I expect to yield about 70lbs of meat off of a 2 year old buck. I'm still slow though as I think it took me about 2 hours last night to do what I did thus far and I expect to spend another 2 hours tonight finishing the job.

      1 Not allowed!
      Last edited by You; 11-12-2019 at 03:09 PM.

    15. Back To Top    #15
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      Duckslayer100's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2015
      Location
      ND's Flatter Half
      Posts
      1,989
      NDA Points
      60,895
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      4
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 2,826
      Given: 4,430
      Classifieds
      1
      Quote Originally Posted by You View Post
      Steve Rinella has inspired me to take rib meat and not be so gosh darned picky overall. Think about it, I usually like each and every type of ring sausage I've tried from a processor and we all know they aren't trimming much of anything off. Don't get me wrong, my meat ends up being fairly red. I have 25lbs of ready-to-grind trim off my buck's fronts and some miscellaneous trim. On the other hand, this first-cutting yielded about 7lbs of discard. To this I will add 25lbs of pork butt and make a 50lb batch of ring sausage. I expect around 45lbs from the back quarters, back straps, and some more miscellaneous trim. Due to the larger muscle groups, this meat will be cleaner/redder by default and much of it will be left whole and/or used for jerky. So overall I expect to yield about 70lbs of meat off of a 2 year old buck. I'm still slow though as I think it took me about 2 hours last night to do what I did thus far and I expect to spend another 2 hours tonight finishing the job.
      Clearly we're liars, though. No way anyone can get 70 pounds of meat off a white-tailed deer when it seems like 50 is the magic number. Moose, maybe. Deer, no way.



      I'm a firm believer that more beers does not yield more meat. I stay pretty sober during my carcass-butchering process, and it appears to result in a more filled freezer.

      But what do I know. I'm just a schmuck on the Interweb.

      0 Not allowed!
      Remember to always practice CPR: Catch, Pickle and Refrigerate!

    16. Back To Top    #16
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      Friendly
       

      Join Date
      Apr 2016
      Location
      SE ND
      Posts
      3,351
      NDA Points
      18,861
      NDA Level
      59
      Report Entries
      12
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 3,592
      Given: 2,919
      Early season 3 year old and older bucks will give you the most meat, before they have screwed them selfs to death. Older dry does are good to cause they have not had a coupla young one hanging on them all year.

      1 Not allowed!

    17. Back To Top    #17
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      You's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      In front.
      Posts
      723
      NDA Points
      12,040
      NDA Level
      47
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 533
      Given: 0
      Quote Originally Posted by Duckslayer100 View Post
      Clearly we're liars, though. No way anyone can get 70 pounds of meat off a white-tailed deer when it seems like 50 is the magic number. Moose, maybe. Deer, no way.



      I'm a firm believer that more beers does not yield more meat. I stay pretty sober during my carcass-butchering process, and it appears to result in a more filled freezer.

      But what do I know. I'm just a schmuck on the Interweb.
      Yea, I don't really care what they yield. People consume my products and still say the seemingly obligatory "I don't taste the deer/moose/elk/nutria/bear AT ALL!"

      I've processed my own game for years now and weigh everything. FWIW I really like my Weighmax W-2809 90lb stainless steel digital postal scale. I really like the hold function as my Rubbermaid commercial bus totes cover most scale readouts.

      1 Not allowed!

    18. Back To Top    #18
      Ultimate VIP Member
      hunting
       
      Mood:
      Angry
       
      Kurtr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Mobridge,Sd
      Posts
      6,575
      NDA Points
      124,746
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      10
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 7,336
      Given: 2,457
      why do people not want to taste said game animal kinda defeats the purpose dont it

      2 Not allowed!
      Killing with the 6.5 creedmoor before you even new what it was.

    19. Back To Top    #19
      Ultimate VIP Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      guywhofishes's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Little Minneapolis, ND
      Posts
      10,492
      NDA Points
      274,396
      NDA Level
      100
      Report Entries
      2
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 14,856
      Given: 13,836
      I get more meat off deer than any of you hosers.

      2 Not allowed!
      Last edited by guywhofishes; 11-12-2019 at 05:16 PM.
      If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.
      ~Doug Larson

    20. Back To Top    #20
      Premium Member
      No Current Status
       
      Mood:
      ----
       
      huntorride365's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Location
      Mobridge, SD
      Posts
      400
      NDA Points
      4,433
      NDA Level
      28
      Thumbs Up
      Received: 206
      Given: 50
      I like the high shoulder shot for a variety of reasons. Doubt it will ever get me to 50 pounds of meat on a deer though.

      0 Not allowed!
      "John Browning and his 1911, pure genius", Slim, 2015, and many, many other times too numerous to mention.

    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •  


    About Nodak Angler

      NodakAngler is a community of outdoors enthusiasts. Our primary focus is to provide a great place for North Dakota sportsmen to gather, discuss, and participate. All are welcome.

    Business & Contact

    Follow us on

    Facebook Instagram Twitter YouTube