Is this legal

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know this video is long but want everyone's opinion. These guys claim to hunt "public" land. Came to ND and shot a deer in a "buffer" zone. I thought if land was posted it was to the middle of the section line.

That all said. Still a pretty cool situation to shoot a deer with a bow.

https://youtu.be/VWysGxxT4Ug

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to know, they never show what parcels are posted vs. not. There certainly isn't anything I saw in the video that'd say, "They F'd Up", except for the Wisconsin T-Shirt. The dude wearing that T-Shirt should have his hunting and fishing rights taken away for a decade just for wearing it.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say they needed permission before hunting there since it's standing crop. They said they called the landowner before retrieving the buck but they should have had permission prior to even hunting it. That "buffer strip" is BS and no that doesn't mean buffer strip! There was no way they were going to kill that thing and have it die in that buffer strip. Hope the landowner charged them a hefty crop damage fee for the recovery.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wasn't that older guy on the ATV the owner of the land? He said if they got one they could go on his land to retrieve it if i heard correctly.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm assuming the 'buffer strip' they were referring to is the strip of land between the two different fields/crops. It didn't appear to me they did anything illegal as I also thought the buy they talked to on the 4-wheeler was the owner but had the warning not to go on the other guy's property. Had a warning like that many years ago so just to see what the guy was like I stopped into his farmyard and he was very friendly. Just liked to know who was on his property. When I left he told me I could hunt his land, just let him know when I was going to be there. No idea how he got the reputation that he wasn't friendly.

I'm selfish like a lot of us and don't like videos that invite everyone to come to this state like it's wide open hunting. I'm a non-resident when I go out of state, or even to a different part of the state for that matter, and have no problems with non-residents within limits. Don't need any over-crowding. Neat video of a deer walking in very close.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd say they needed permission before hunting there since it's standing crop. They said they called the landowner before retrieving the buck but they should have had permission prior to even hunting it. That "buffer strip" is BS and no that doesn't mean buffer strip! There was no way they were going to kill that thing and have it die in that buffer strip. Hope the landowner charged them a hefty crop damage fee for the recovery.
They did not need his permission to hunt there if they were on the neighbors side of the line nor did they need his permission to enter his property to retrieve the deer and he certainly had no right to try to charge them!

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did they recover the arrow? I didnt watch it till the end. If not that land might be posted next year after the landowner pulls it out of his tractor tire.

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
At 23:54 it says Jake called the landowner and offered to pay for damages as Canola is a fragile crop. While that is nice that he offered he maybe should have called and gotten permission to hunt a field with standing crop first. The buck was still standing in Canola when he shot it.

I know the law says one may enter posted property to retrieve game shot on unposted land or land you have permission to hunt but not sure if you can enter unharvested crop to retrieve game. I'd sure call and get permission first. I do know of someone that had trouble with people driving across his hayland for purposes other than hunting, That owner talked to a lawyer and the lawyer said no one has a right to destroy your crop without paying damages.

- - - Updated - - -

It was a cool hunt anyway.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
They did not need his permission to hunt there if they were on the neighbors side of the line nor did they need his permission to enter his property to retrieve the deer and he certainly had no right to try to charge them!
Wrong!
It is illegal to hunt in unharvested cereal and oilseed crops, including sprouted winter wheat, alfalfa, clover and other grasses grown for seed, without the owner’s consent.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
All standing crops are considered posted and all posted lands can be entered to retrieve downed game. The law makes no caveat for standing crops so feel free to post up some fine print were it circumvents this rule.

Last edited:

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
All standing crops are considered posted and all posted lands can be entered to retrieve downed game. The law makes no caveat for standing crops so feel free to post up some fine print were it circumvents this rule.
You need permission first. JFC are you dense.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think what they did was probably technically legal, but is ill advised. I wouldn’t want a bunch of ‘sconnies shelling out my canola in any circumstance.

Last edited:

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need permission first. JFC are you dense.
No you do not and I would suggest if you don't understand the rulebook you go back and re-read it! If you have any further questions on it feel free to talk to the same game warden I did just now and here is their direct response that they texted me.

No you do not need permission as you are no longer hunting you are retrieving. We would however encourage you to let the farmer/landowner know. And if there is any crop damage you may be liable for the damage.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
No you do not and I would suggest if you don't understand the rulebook you go back and re-read it! If you have any further questions on it feel free to talk to the same game warden I did just now and here is their direct response that they texted me.
That warden doesn't know the law then. You can be charged with criminal trespass if you enter standing crop on private property without permission. Ask your local sheriff. Did you notice the little bitty about being liable for crop damage?

feather_duster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tell that mean ocean Todd!!!!! :;:duel

That warden doesn't know the law then. You can be charged with criminal trespass if you enter standing crop on private property without permission. Ask your local sheriff. Did you notice the little bitty about being liable for crop damage?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Quote Originally Posted by dean nelson

NDSportsman

Please finish this so I can walk away thinking I learned something.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77