Pop-Up Camper Propane Troubleshooting

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sitting here at work today trying to figure out what could possibly be wrong with my camper. I tested everything two weeks ago and it worked just fine. Got the camper out this weekend to do some hunting and had no heat. The furnace ran, but wouldn't ignite. Hooked the stove up inside and there is no gas coming through the lines into the camper.

Changed the regulator yesterday and still nothing. It's an older camper, so there are no electronics to control the flow of gas. Just a regulator off the tank that's hooked up to the main line that runs to the back of the camper and then splits off to the furnace, one line for the stove inside, and another line outside.

I didn't have time to break the connections in the main line to check for flow, but that will be the first thing I do on Thursday when I go back out.

Any thoughts on what could have gone wrong? Is it common for the fittings to clog up, or maybe just some type of blockage in the main line?

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
No where close to a propane expert but every time I've had propane trouble with 20# tanks the guy who fills them turns them upside down and drops them on the concrete. His theory is that the float in the tank can freeze. And he's been correct every time I've had trouble. Considering the weather this weekend that could be your problem.

Always get a chuckle of people who are "working" while on this site. When I actually had a job I did the same and working part time today as I comment on this question.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
No where close to a propane expert but every time I've had propane trouble with 20# tanks the guy who fills them turns them upside down and drops them on the concrete. His theory is that the float in the tank can freeze. And he's been correct every time I've had trouble. Considering the weather this weekend that could be your problem.

Always get a chuckle of people who are "working" while on this site. When I actually had a job I did the same and working part time today as I comment on this question.

I'll have to give that a shot. I tried two different tanks, one of which was brand new and had just come from my heated garage a few hours beforehand.

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know with my old BBQ, if I had burners on before opening tank the line would vapor lock and not let gas thru. I would have to turn of burners and then disconnect the tank line and reconnect and then turn on burners and would work like a charm. Just a possibility.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was the main line always screwed into the tank? If not spiders and other little critters along with light dust/dirt can clog the line or fitting.
Sometimes it takes awhile to bleed out the line.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The tank has been connected since I tested it a few weeks ago, so there shouldn't be any debris in there. The regulator screws directly into the internal threads in the tank and has a pigtail coming out of the regulator that runs to the fitting that's connected to the mainline. Is it common for the pigtails to have some type of check valve that could have gone bad?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Does your tank have the new type shut off or the old style?
If new style there is a flipper of some sort inside tank on valve that shuts the gas off if tank is tipped or leaned over too far. So if it is the new style it might be what is explained in #2 post above.

Last edited:

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
Check your orifices. Or have your ol' lady do it. Women are a little better with their fingers...

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Don't open the gas valve to fast, if you do the valve will shut off, these new tanks are worthless pieces of shit

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I would start disconnecting lines. The closest one to the tank and keep going till you have no gas. Its a easy fix, just time consuming.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mr Obvious here, but make sure you are getting propane out of the tank, before you start taking other stuff apart. Hook up a grill, buddy heater, cooker or anything you use those tanks with. You will then know if it is something related to the camper, regulator or hose.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Start at tank, open valve slowly if no gas the problem is tank. If you got gas flow work to next fitting, make sure you open valve ssslllooww or check valve will slam shut. Just work your way down the line.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, some of the newer propane fittings on the campers (mine is a 2011 model) have safety features that can really piss a person off. On my camper it's the line that goes to the grill that is being fed from the camper propane tanks. If I turn the gas valve too fast, the grill won't light...or if it does, it won't get a flame large enough to cook over.

My home grill started to have problems a few weeks ago, I'm going to have to drop that cylinder now after reading this. I swapped regulators and that didn't do the trick, so now I'll have to look at the propane tank itself. Seems odd that all four burners would crap out at once.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Start at tank, open valve slowly if no gas the problem is tank. If you got gas flow work to next fitting, make sure you open valve ssslllooww or check valve will slam shut. Just work your way down the line.
Not all but SOME tanks require something hooked up to them to release the propane. All depending on age of tank or upgrades.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe all propane tanks have what is called an excess flow valve on them. If you open the valve to fast with no pressure in the line the stopper slams shut and you need to close the valve and let the pressure equalize (you should be able to hear the valve snap back open) then open the valve SLOWLY.

7550%20and%207551%20Series.PNG

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for all the responses. I spoke with a service tech at a local RV dealer and he offered much of the same information. Either opening the tank too fast with the colder temperatures, or there is a very small leak in one of the first fittings. I'll check it out tomorrow and hopefully have it working again.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
My home grill started to have problems a few weeks ago, I'm going to have to drop that cylinder now after reading this. I swapped regulators and that didn't do the trick, so now I'll have to look at the propane tank itself. Seems odd that all four burners would crap out at once.

Had this problem recently.Opened up the bleeder screw valve for a couple minutes, fixed it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77