blind grass

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are you guys using for fake grass in your layout blinds. I've always put natural field material in the loops but see where many have put in a manufactured type that seems to look good. Would be nice to leave in for much of year.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I bought 350 bucks worth of the stuff from tje major wholesaler that supplies the stores and then we split amongst us. Looks great and certainly isnt gonna break.

- - - Updated - - -

Raffia grass from jstern.com

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My blind camo process usually starts a week or so before the season when I cut down green cochia plants. I trim the plants so they are about 6 inches thick and flat on both sides. I slide these into the straps of my blind and zip tie them in. I cover the entire foot section of the blind, put a couple on each side and then one on behind the head. Cocia is found EVERYWHERE I hunt. They stay green for the early season which is great and then turn brown or grey for the regular season. When I hit the field, I just rake whatever crop residue is there and toss over the blind. The residue gets caught in the branches of the cochia and in about 5 minutes, my blind looks like a weed patch in the field. A guy can also stuff some residue under the cochia and it stays pretty well. For the doors, I find standing wheat or barley that has been left on the margins of a field and pull it up by the roots. I lace the long stuff into ONE door and arrange it so it covers both doors, then zip tie it to the straps. I find it's easier to just camo one door instead of both as they tend to wreck each other when you open and close the doors. This type of camp job will last the entire season and blends in with every situation I have hunted from flat soybean fields to sheet water edges and it's CHEAP. Good Luck!!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
ok thanks for ideas. I probably do what is best. Each time out and reload with crop from field. No issues. I'm just getting old and lazy and see where some guys add that synthetic stuff and then only have to add a little from field. Will cut my time in half.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
if you actually go the route if the synthetic raffia grass, pay close attention to how much you are actually getting for the money. best i can tell, that jcstern.com company is the main supplier to places like avery, cabellas, etc... if you price by the pound, it appears they sell it for about half the price of what it retails for.

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've seen other talk that the raffia grass is no good? Too shiny or something? Cant remember why? Heard of killer weed. Prob same thing.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i guess right out of the box it might be a bit shiny. but, it dirtied up pretty quick. fwiw, we weaved it in with natural stuff. natural stuff first and then weaved in the raffia. it would probably take 2 bundles from the site above to do one blind pretty well without any natural stuff. if weaved in correctly, it doesn't appear to want to fall out. whereas we are constantly replacing our natural stuff that falls out or breaks off. but, i still prefer a bit of both.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One of the big reasons I like artificial grass is that with today's combines, especially rotors, they chew the straw so fine it's difficult to find anything left in the field to use as blind material. Talking small grains here, not corn. Go in a bean or pea field and there is very little left for a blind plus they are cut so close to the ground there is no stubble. In addition I find most blinds are to dark. Easier to make a light blind darker than a dark blind lighter in my opinion. Don't want a big blob in the field.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75