So whats the rule

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talking to a buddy last night we got to talking about deer that coyotes get to first. If your able to find the deer but there is no longer anything left save bones and hide do you legally have to tag it. Now if it's a buck and you keep the rack or anything for that matter you definitely do but what if it's a doe and a total loss?

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Talking to a buddy last night we got to talking about deer that coyotes get to first. If your able to find the deer but there is no longer anything left save bones and hide do you legally have to tag it. Now if it's a buck and you keep the rack or anything for that matter you definitely do but what if it's a doe and a total loss?
Whose to know?

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably just send a text but figured I would see if anyone on here has ever had it come up in the real world.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uneducated guess is that you would be required to tag it. If you report it to the G&F they might give you a deer that was confiscated from someone else instead of letting that meat go to waste.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
My uneducated guess is that you would be required to tag it. If you report it to the G&F they might give you a deer that was confiscated from someone else instead of letting that meat go to waste.
That's my guess as well but it's seems to be a fairly common gray area. My general take would be that the license guarantees you the right to harvest the deer it does not guarantee you the condition of the deer you harvest though. The only thing I can find that somewhat plays in the same ballpark is if you shoot a deer that's meat is no good in which case they will not issue a new license but like you said will try to offer you another deer if it becomes available.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

How would you know for sure the deer in question is the one you wounded? You're making an issue out of a nonissue. If the yotes get it first it's theirs, you keep hunting. Pretty simple.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me, having to tag that eaten deer would be like having to stop hunting because you wounded a deer and couldn't find it. How many hundreds (nay, thousands?) of deer get winged every year during the hunting season, and because of poor tracking conditions or whatnot, are never recovered?

I guess you could play the honor system and hang up your bow or gun, but I'd wager a pretty large sum the majority of folks in that situation just keep right on hunting until they actually put their hands on a deer.

And if you're in the minority who are that honest, you're probably also honest enough to call the G&F to tell them you found your coyote-eaten deer, and they'd say "unfortunately, sir, you do need to tag that deer because your license does not guarantee the condition for which the deer you shoot will be in once you find it."

This is straight from the G&F website: https://gf.nd.gov/news/3408

I shot a deer, but it is rotten. What can I do?
You must take possession of the animal by tagging it. A license only allows you the opportunity to hunt. It is not a guarantee to harvest a deer, or to the quality of the animal.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
The G&F will tell you that the carcass is yours to tag. The tag only guarantees you a chance to hunt, but not a harvest. If you harvest a doe and it is eaten by coyotes because you arrived way later than possible, your chance to hunt a deer is considered ended. They just covered this topic on a television story the week of deer opener.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
To me, having to tag that eaten deer would be like having to stop hunting because you wounded a deer and couldn't find it. How many hundreds (nay, thousands?) of deer get winged every year during the hunting season, and because of poor tracking conditions or whatnot, are never recovered?

I guess you could play the honor system and hang up your bow or gun, but I'd wager a pretty large sum the majority of folks in that situation just keep right on hunting until they actually put their hands on a deer.

And if you're in the minority who are that honest, you're probably also honest enough to call the G&F to tell them you found your coyote-eaten deer, and they'd say "unfortunately, sir, you do need to tag that deer because your license does not guarantee the condition for which the deer you shoot will be in once you find it."

This is straight from the G&F website: https://gf.nd.gov/news/3408

I shot a deer, but it is rotten. What can I do?
You must take possession of the animal by tagging it. A license only allows you the opportunity to hunt. It is not a guarantee to harvest a deer, or to the quality of the animal.

A lot of deer get winged because everyone road hunts, unbelievable how many people just cruise around and chase animals, and the amount of Plots/school land people have been driving on this year is insane. Amazing how many people don't even know what its like to sit for an animal and what you can see. I bet very few people have ever watched a deer make a rub or work a scrape line. it is sad really....

IndigenousWalleye78

Honored Member

- - - Updated - - -

FB_IMG_1573159054799.jpg

Last edited:

Bacon

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe some of you guys should learn how to shoot or practice more. I have been hunting deer since before I was supposed to. Before youth hunting my dad let me shoot a deer. Was maybe 12 or 13. I am now 50. I have never once lost a deer that I shot. I’m not bragging I just don’t take risky shots. I see and hear some of the shooting that goes on. It’s pathetic.

Maybe it it was all the runnng shots on jackrabbits when I was young, but I’m pretty good at running shots on deer. But when all these people come out to hunt deer and haven’t shot a rifle since last year, it’s no wonder there are so many wounded deer.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A lot of deer get winged because everyone road hunts, unbelievable how many people just cruise around and chase animals, and the amount of Plots/school land people have been driving on this year is insane. Amazing how many people don't even know what its like to sit for an animal and what you can see. I bet very few people have ever watched a deer make a rub or work a scrape line. it is sad really....

When you say everyone, are you lumped in there to?? Because your part of everyone when I read it. And yes I have seen deer make rubs and work a scrape. When I see hunter driving around it doesn't bother me. If they happen to drive down the fence line I'm on or up to the rock pile I'm in then yes it would bother me. But I'm not going to judge everyone that is driving around. If you seen people on PLOTS land or school land did you report them?? Who gives people the right to judge other people??

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
Road hunting, while annoying, actually helps me. Less people hunting the interior of a section...the better.

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
When you say everyone, are you lumped in there to?? Because your part of everyone when I read it. And yes I have seen deer make rubs and work a scrape. When I see hunter driving around it doesn't bother me. If they happen to drive down the fence line I'm on or up to the rock pile I'm in then yes it would bother me. But I'm not going to judge everyone that is driving around. If you seen people on PLOTS land or school land did you report them?? Who gives people the right to judge other people??

"Everyone" is used loosely. Its hard to report driving off trail when all that's left is tracks from a vehicle. And I can judge it how I want to judge it, kind of my right. The thing with Plots land is it is still private land, no respect from some.

If the fence line is on a section line you don't have a dog in the fight, cant go both ways. But IMO hunting is not done behind the windshield. And it is just my opinion and that is something I have the privilege of having, you are welcome to yours. But the original post is about wounded animals, and in my experiences far more deer are shot at without a rest on the run from a vehicle that they are from a gun rest while standing. Happy road gunning!

Last edited:

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just ask Nean Delson :D
When I was a teen shot a rifle buck and we skinned it out that night. Next morning I went to start learning to butcher myself and had green puss coming form the ham down the side, call g&f and told the no guarantee to have edible meat just to harvest. Dad decided he didn't want to feed his family that so the farm cats ate good for many months. Most does look the same, I'm with Bacon (besides running shots because I'm not well practiced) and I'm only 35.
Learn/practice to shoot but also learn to track when needed. How many are "winged" deer and how many that run af6the shot are pushed prematurely from excitement, then pushed again and again and again

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no upside to discussing these types of situations. Any way you answer it gives the anti hunting groups more ammunition. Even if you do everything by the book, the anti's will say, "See, you wasted a deer!!" "Hunting should be banned!!" There is no correct answer. Let's be smart about this and extremely careful what we post. Carry On!!

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let's be smart about this and extremely careful what we post. Carry On!!

AGREE 110% However that ship has sailed long ago.

Just hope some will heed your words of wisdom.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75