Favorite meals.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pretty much do all the cooking for our family of 4.

And I do have two favorite foods that have been consistent for many, many years.....fried chicken (broasted even better), and sushi, particularly hamachi (yellowtail tuna) and unagi (freshwater eel).

I'm down with the sushi big time. nigiri or maki?

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Favorite meals. That's a tough one, but I think it's cheeseburgers.

Back in college, I ate a burger darn near every day at the mess hall. And when we go out to eat, my go-to if I can't find anything more appealing is some sort of cheeseburger. Heck, if I had to pick anywhere to eat in Fargo, it would be JL Beers every time (who can resist the holy trinity that is an awesome burger, fries/chips, and cold beer).

Venison burgers with 100 percent ground venison, seasoned, then grilled and topped with cheese, are my family's favorite, too. We eat those about once a week, which is why we go through so much ground venison at my house!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a good steak is tough to beat

sushi

tomatillo pork on rice w corn bread

chili (genuine - no beans) and corn bread (I also mash up corn chips to serve as crackers)

meat loaf with baked tater and cream corn

poke (in HI)

Thanksgiving dinner

beef or pork sandwich smothered in gravy and fried onions - with mashed potatoes and kernel corn (think small town diner)

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm down with the sushi big time. nigiri or maki?

Nigiri first, but I love a good hand roll. I can eat a regular spicy tuna roll all day too, but everyone makes those, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Heck, if I had to pick anywhere to eat in Fargo, it would be JL Beers every time (who can resist the holy trinity that is an awesome burger, fries/chips, and cold beer).

My wife and I go out for a quick bite every Friday after work and it's either JL Beers or Vinyl Taco (same owners). I don't know who has the vision to come up with these concepts but they know what the F they are doing! Fast and excellent service in a small-ish setting and damn good food. They definitely get you with the drink prices, but the food prices are very reasonable.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nigiri first, but I love a good hand roll. I can eat a regular spicy tuna roll all day too, but everyone makes those, lol.

everybody can make rolls - but the rice is crucial

lots of sushi in these parts (grocery stores, Chinese restaurants, etc.) are horrible because of the gummy rice not to mention the gummy/gooey nori (not freshly toasted)

I once had the real deal in Japan ($$$) - all the rice grains were even pointed in the same direction - ha ha

if you master the rice - everything else is child's play

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
a good steak is tough to beat

sushi

tomatillo pork on rice w corn bread

chili (genuine - no beans) and corn bread (I also mash up corn chips to serve as crackers)

meat loaf with baked tater and cream corn

poke (in HI)

Thanksgiving dinner

beef or pork sandwich smothered in gravy and fried onions - with mashed potatoes and kernel corn (think small town diner)

Give Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef a read and see if you stance on "modern" steak changes. Follow it up with the Dorito Effect by the same author. These are eye opening books for anyone who enjoys GOOD food.

I grew up dairy farming, we would butcher old Holstein girls, like 10+ years old some of the best meat I have ever eaten, I rarely eat beef steak any more cause its just no longer good. I think the last time I had a good steak was over 10 years ago. I should just buy an old cow and feed her for a year!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Deaner's Diner, you can thank me later.

galwhofishes won't let me ; )

- - - Updated - - -

BTW - in Japan a sushi chef spends one year early on doing nothing but making the rice (and washing dishes)

- - - Updated - - -

Give Steak: One Man's Search for the World's Tastiest Piece of Beef a read and see if you stance on "modern" steak changes. Follow it up with the Dorito Effect by the same author. These are eye opening books for anyone who enjoys GOOD food.

I grew up dairy farming, we would butcher old Holstein girls, like 10+ years old some of the best meat I have ever eaten, I rarely eat beef steak any more cause its just no longer good. I think the last time I had a good steak was over 10 years ago. I should just buy an old cow and feed her for a year!

I must have been dropped on my tongue as an infant - because most steaks I buy get at least a rating of 7 or so. Many 8s and even nines. I am guessing I simply like to chew on something primal as I get older.

Now decent store bought hamburger is another matter. How do stores manage to eff up burger so bad these days?

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Now decent store bought hamburger is another matter. How do stores manage to eff up burger so bad these days?

Perhaps you could lure Gal there with some of their magnificent deserts. Homemade pies and bread pudding perhaps?

For good hamburger, Prime Cuts does a "Special Blend" with 3 different fatty cuts. I remember short ribs is one of them, can't recall the others.

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

I must have been dropped on my tongue as an infant - because most steaks I buy get at least a rating of 7 or so. Many 8s and even nines. I am guessing I simply like to chew on something primal as I get older.

Consider yourself lucky! Not much in this world tastes good anymore, and I'm only 35. I cant imagine what some of you old timers must feel like. I grew up on all home cooking and raising, not much store bought. I left home in 2004 and was introduced to the "real" world of food and hated it. It didn't taste good, didn't make me feel good. I started in college making home made food and have not stopped. We eat out as a family maybe 10 times a year and I regret it every time. I am even to the point where I make my own butter (not straight from the cow cream, but from store bought cream), it takes literally no time in the kitchen aid and tastes way better then you get in the store. Similar to what I remember when young. My kids (7, 8 and 10) will not eat fast food, not cause I discourage them but because it doesn't taste good to them. They don't have the but biome to process it.

Anyway, I have a list of favorite foods a mile long. Not one can be purchased from a restaurant or store. Food to me is a journey, a way to tell a story, a way show love, a way to strengthen the family. Its not just calories, a trip to the store, or something fast. In a way im like that food critic on the kids movie, ratatouille, if it doesn't taste good, why swallow it.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't gotten to the point of making my own butter, I mean the ingredient list on the box is cream and salt, but I have started using unsalted butter more and more. I like the texture and taste a bit better, and actually it still tastes "salty" to me.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Consider yourself lucky! Not much in this world tastes good anymore, and I'm only 35. I cant imagine what some of you old timers must feel like. I grew up on all home cooking and raising, not much store bought. I left home in 2004 and was introduced to the "real" world of food and hated it. It didn't taste good, didn't make me feel good. I started in college making home made food and have not stopped. We eat out as a family maybe 10 times a year and I regret it every time. I am even to the point where I make my own butter (not straight from the cow cream, but from store bought cream), it takes literally no time in the kitchen aid and tastes way better then you get in the store. Similar to what I remember when young. My kids (7, 8 and 10) will not eat fast food, not cause I discourage them but because it doesn't taste good to them. They don't have the but biome to process it.

Anyway, I have a list of favorite foods a mile long. Not one can be purchased from a restaurant or store. Food to me is a journey, a way to tell a story, a way show love, a way to strengthen the family. Its not just calories, a trip to the store, or something fast. In a way im like that food critic on the kids movie, ratatouille, if it doesn't taste good, why swallow it.

we're "whole ingredients" type foodies too

we eat out maybe once a month too... and are usually pissed off about price/quality (and the stoned waiter)

we started making creme fraiche for topping German pancakes - OMG for easy and the taste is out of this world

ORCUS DEMENS

Founding Member
Founding Member
My tastes have become varied as I have aged.
Beef Rolladen (Not sure on the spelling) Thin sliced beef with bacon and onions rolled inside and browned and baked til done.
Paella, Had it first on the beach in Barcelona. Easy to make and clean up afterward.
German Bratwurst (not midwestern brats) I make sure to pick them up when I go home.
Sesame crusted, seared tuna steak on a salad. Don't get this as much any more because of over fishing concerns.

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't gotten to the point of making my own butter, I mean the ingredient list on the box is cream and salt, but I have started using unsalted butter more and more. I like the texture and taste a bit better, and actually it still tastes "salty" to me.

Are we still talking about that panty picture?

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
Albondigas Soup with fresh squeezed lime and a warm flour tortilla.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77