Heart Shot Deer

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I thought about going back out there this afternoon, but there's so much tall grass around the bunch of trees where I shot her, she could be anywhere. Doubt if the meat would be any good. Coyotes probably got too her already.

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sorry to hear about your situation. Sucks for sure. Hunt long enough and it's about impossible to not have it happen.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Meat will be good - go in with a dog and no gun --- see if you can find.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wasn't there so have no idea what happened. In my experience I've never seen a heart-shot deer go very far (less than 100 yds) and the blood trail was clear, borderline gushing out. Good chance that deer isn't as dead as you think.

Timbuk-2

Founding Member
Founding Member
Usually that mule kick indicates a chest shot. I would guess high in the chest. Not much spray where hit and a good chance of little or no blood trail. All the blood stays in the chest. They usually don't go far. I think you have a responsibility to try find the deer if possible.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I shot my buck in the heart on opening weekend & he ran exactly 4 feet. I guess 75 yards with a 30-.06 will do that? ;)

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I shot my buck in the heart on opening weekend & he ran exactly 4 feet. I guess 75 yards with a 30-.06 will do that? ;)
Oh yeah well I shot my doe right in the heart on opening day and she dropped in her tracks. I guess 200 yards with a .270 will do that. :;:duel:;:howdy:)

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
If you have access to a dog that's your best bet. If not the Best advice I can give is to start making circles starting where you shot her and gradually spread out until you find blood.

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably hit a branch and the bullet got deflected somehow. Don't have a dog to track it with. Besides I don't think that is legal in North Dakota anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing is, I ran into the Game Warden from Elgin Monday afternoon and told her that I shot a deer Monday morning that I couldn't find. So technically I'm done hunting, right? I can't go back out this weekend and hunt can I?

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you did not find the dear, you still have a tag in hand. Go get yourself a deer. You MISSED the other one you thought you hit.

FishFinder97

★ Legendary Member
Probably hit a branch and the bullet got deflected somehow. Don't have a dog to track it with. Besides I don't think that is legal in North Dakota anyway.

- - - Updated - - -

Funny thing is, I ran into the Game Warden from Elgin Monday afternoon and told her that I shot a deer Monday morning that I couldn't find. So technically I'm done hunting, right? I can't go back out this weekend and hunt can I?
Dogs are legal in ND for recovery, the law is new this year. I believe there's a tracking dog organization someone else on here may know more about that, I bet someone out there could help

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
A pointing dog should be able to find it if it's down. My little Brittany found several.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogs are nice but a drone would do wonders for looking down on tall grass and or standing corn unfortunately the game and fish frown on this!

As for Hart shot there is no such thing as bumping a Hart shot deer they just don't live long enough for that to be an option.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dogs are nice but a drone would do wonders for looking down on tall grass and or standing corn unfortunately the game and fish frown on this!

As for Hart shot there is no such thing as bumping a Hart shot deer they just don't live long enough for that to be an option.

Hell you doing up at 4:28 AM????

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am probably not going to tell anybody anything. I would found a buddy with a dog that is very good at retrieving dead animals. I would run the dog through and seen what i could find. I would not carry a gun and it would not be on a refuge. 4:28 am--- I will take my dog vs a drone. i have one --- its a slow process -- they dont stick - especially if they are wounded they crawl in like a wounded pheasants. Whitetails and pheasants took the same class.

- - - Updated - - -

I am probably not going to tell anybody anything. I would found a buddy with a dog that is very good at retrieving dead animals. I would run the dog through and seen what i could find. I would not carry a gun and it would not be on a refuge. 4:28 am--- I will take my dog vs a drone. i have a drone --- its a slow process and everthing starts looking the same --- if they are wounded they crawl into the cover like a wounded pheasant. Whitetails and pheasants took the same class.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member

Why are you always spelling heart "hart"? I noticed you did it on the snagzilla thread too.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hell you doing up at 4:28 AM????
Generally get up about that time since I need to Leave around 6 to get to where I want to hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Why are you always spelling heart "hart"? I noticed you did it on the snagzilla thread too.
It's the auto correct on my tablet I don't know if it's got a virus or what but it tends to do Stuff like that. It also tends to randomly capitalize words especially if I'm using the voice to text function! All it takes is misspelling a word once and then it autocorrects back to it every time because it thinks that's what you want. It happens so often I don't even bother fixing it anymore just like the capital letters.

Last edited:

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I commend the G+F for this. Keep drones out of hunting/scouting, PERIOD. Can you imagine what some knuckleheads would do with drones if they were legal to aid in hunting and/or recovery? G+F are doing wildlife (and hunters) a big favor for making drone use illegal for hunting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76