Poaching near Northgate Dr

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Leaning across the hood could be described as "shooting from a vehicle".

All I'm saying is that I know of a case very recently in ND where a deer was shot at around sunrise and the truck drove off. The guy was driving a work truck at the time and WAS NOT WEARING ORANGE.

The deer showed immediate signs of being hit - so why did the guy drive off? The guy then drove back 10 minutes later - looked again while the deer stood there with that "I'm hurting" look - then the guy drove away.

An observer contacted the game warden who was given enough description/details to find the offender. When faced with the details during the interview later that afternoon, the guy who shot the deer said he didn't think he had hit it. Warden made him tag it. The observer had located the dead deer and directed the warden to it earlier that afternoon so the warden had the deer with him.

So bottom line is if you are a deer killing psycho whackjob (or just plain retarded/lazy) but you have a tag in hand, you can shoot deer and just drive off making no effort to retrieve.

If you ever get caught all it costs you is that you have to burn your tag. Even if they find the dead deer and an observer caught you dead to rights.

True story. Nauseating.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think you could also get him for shooting within 440 yards of a building. Alot of houses around that area. Of course depending where shot was taken

v193

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe he thought coyotes got it first so he just moved on to shoot another?

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
what should happen when caught, a line of 10 law abiding outdoors people with bats and everyone in line gets a whack or two. works for me.:]

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you could also get him for shooting within 440 yards of a building. Alot of houses around that area. Of course depending where shot was taken

It is illegal to hunt upon the premises of another within 440 yards (one- quarter mile) of any occupied building without the consent of the person occupying the building. This does not prohibit hunting on land owned by neighbors (private or public) even if the land is less than 440 yards (one-quarter mile) from the occupied building.

Here is the second part of the 440 yard deal. Had a neighbor try to tell me I couldn't hunt my own property because I was within 440 yards of his house. You can guess what my response was.

1lessdog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It is illegal to hunt upon the premises of another within 440 yards (one- quarter mile) of any occupied building without the consent of the person occupying the building. This does not prohibit hunting on land owned by neighbors (private or public) even if the land is less than 440 yards (one-quarter mile) from the occupied building.

Here is the second part of the 440 yard deal. Had a neighbor try to tell me I couldn't hunt my own property because I was within 440 yards of his house. You can guess what my response was.

PLOTS land falls into that paragraph to. I seen PLOTS land less than 100 yds from a house and nothing they could do. The Game and Fish put up signs be careful when shooting.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
The 440 rule applies almost nowhere any more! Pretty much the only situation where it applies is when your hunting on unposted property without the direct permission of the landowner. If you are on posted ground with permission you can hunt with in 440, if you are on public ground you can hunt within 440 unless otherwise stated on the signs. This is a situation that gets run into quite often when hunting geese on the Missouri River. The reality is you can sit right in front of the Broken Oar Bar and Grill in Bismarck and have a Heyday on that sandbar if you want to although it's a bit of a dick move if you do!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74