Man Card

NDbowman

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would they do with a THREE ON THE TREE or a dimmer switch on the floor.

I never did get to drive a vehicle with a three on the tree but dammit I miss the dimmer switch on the floor. My newer Ram really fucked me up push ahead to get bright, pull back to get dim. What the hell happened to pull back for both. Guess I missed a few model changes since my last pickup in 01.

- - - Updated - - -

More importantly who drives a pickup with a manual tranny now days?

I agree, while manuals are fun to drive and have their points for off roading and certain uses I have no idea why anyone would want a manual in their daily driver. Auto is so much more convient. Even pulling heavy loads auto is pretty darn good. Many used to say the auto tranny wouldn't hold up pulling but they do. Changing clutches isn't much fun on a manual.
I'd even like to get a tandem grain truck with an auto just so anyone can jump in and drive it. Seems people shy away from a 9speed.

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a 95 dodge 3500 my niece got in and asked what the manual window crank was for. She had never seen manual windows?

duckman1302

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even though I do know how to drive a manual, I don't really blame anyone that can't anymore. Manuals are hard to find unless you grew up on a farm or special order a vehicle with one. I really don't see the benefit of a manual transmission. 20+ years ago, yes, but not this day and age.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or those push button radio stations settings. Push in to select and pull out to set. I can see the kids now just turning the dial (or asking WTH that dial is for) so they can find new stations to listen to!

:;:muahaha

I think they would be looking for the bluetooth connection on their phone first.....then maybe a way to plug their phone into the radio.....Not sure if any of these kids know there is FREE Radio out there.

I just seen an add pop up on my computer for an antenna for your TV. It said this devise will bring in FREE LOCAL STATIONS!! And was explaining how you could get free TV with this amazing device

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every unit on our farm was a manual tranny.
Remember power shifting the 4 speed muscle cars back in the day.
My kids learned to drive with a manual tranny too. They also know how to back up a trailer. Daughter does it most of the time when it comes to helping out people with their trailers.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even though I do know how to drive a manual, I don't really blame anyone that can't anymore. Manuals are hard to find unless you grew up on a farm or special order a vehicle with one. I really don't see the benefit of a manual transmission. 20+ years ago, yes, but not this day and age.

I agree with you.....I HATE manual trannys. I have short legs and a big belly, so they really suck. Plus...backing a trailer really sucks as you can only go so slow with a manual and it dies. So you end up riding the clutch, which isn't good either.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The thing I liked most about manuals was the "rocking" ability in a stuck in snow situation. I don't screw around in the snow much with my vehicle anymore though.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Buddy had a newer pickup a few years ago with a stick and boy did he have trouble finding people who would back his boat in the h2o.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first vehicle I drove, many years before having a license, was a 1949 chevy pickup. I'm oldish but it was considered an antique already when I started driving it. Stick on the floor. Now I am curious whatever became of that truck, will have to ask my bro.

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Buddy had a newer pickup a few years ago with a stick and boy did he have trouble finding people who would back his boat in the h2o.

No kidding...tough enough to find peeps who can back a boat consistently down a ramp with an automatic tranny! And then good luck trying to explain soaking the bunks completely and then pulling them out about a foot for loading!

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I took drivers ed we had a manual transmission in it

Yup, me too. We practiced in a small pickup with auto, and a sedan with a stick. My first car was a stick as well.

I've driven a few of these cars, manual transmissions.

Mustang Pano.jpg

It's funny. the black 1969 Boss is a four speed, and it sounded like it was going to fly apart, at about 55 mph. Low low gears.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I absolutely LOVE a manual transmission when pulling heavy loads or trying to get unstuck. When pulling, especially uphill, I like having the ability to wind up the engine to maintain pulling power while an auto tends to shift to quickly which oftentimes threatens a stall out. When stuck, I can shift a manual faster than the auto can shift so I can get a good "Rocking Action" going like Ahab mentioned. Other than that, I can drive either type and have no preferences either way.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member

One time I don't mind backing a manual is going downhill, like a boat ramp. I just put it in Neutral and use the brake to slow me down, and don't have to worry about it dyeing. I even put autos in Neutral while baking down a ramp.

drivenmarine.net

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I had manuals, I would shift into 4-low when backing. Can fully engage clutch and don't have to ride the clutch. They are not fun on a boat ramp when your co-anglers aren't used to them though.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just noticed I started this thread in Dog Talk. Sorry about that. If anyone can fix it due to my inferior computer knowledge, feel free to do so.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every unit on our farm was a manual tranny.
Remember power shifting the 4 speed muscle cars back in the day.
My kids learned to drive with a manual tranny too. They also know how to back up a trailer. Daughter does it most of the time when it comes to helping out people with their trailers.

If you are ever around Horse Shows, Rodeos etc there is a lot of young ladies that are piloting big rigs and doing a great job of backing them anywhere,

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75