Man Card

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife had a low tire on her pickup yesterday so she took it to a tire shop to get it fixed. Gave her keys to tire tech and he goes out to drive pickup into bay to work on it, opens door on truck, shuts door on truck, comes back inside and gets girl behind counter to drive truck into shop, reason being its a stick shift and he don't know how FFS. Should have to know how to get drivers license. Wife was still giggling when she got home and told me the story. I asked her if she wanted his MAN CARD turned in and did he have a MAN BUN besides.

Riverbottoms

★★★★ Legendary Member
Starting to become very common, lots of vehicles these days don’t even have a manual option anymore. When my oldest starts driving in 8 years I might need to buy an old Jeep for him to learn on!

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
njefsoru8gx01.jpg

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
knowing how to drive a manual was a requirement for my kids to get their license. My youngest worked for Gateway Chev in their detail shop while at NDSU. He was in demand by others as he was the only kid there who could run a straight stick.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
What would they do with a THREE ON THE TREE or a dimmer switch on the floor.

dblkluk

★★★ Legendary Member
More importantly who drives a pickup with a manual tranny now days?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
2018 was the last year you could get a full size with a manual transmission

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had to learn on a old trucks we used in our freight co. Started to learn how to pop a clutch around age 11. I wonder how many of these "guys" will ever learn to back in a trailer?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
One would think, in order to work in a place that would require you to move customer's vehicles, you'd need to know how to drive them. I'd think it'd be a pre-requisite.

Funny story though. I have a cousin who's a Mercedes mechanic in MN. When a person gets a DUI, or rather, when you get enough of them, they used to put a device in the car, that you'd have to blow into, in order to start the car. My cousin is a walking Schlitz commercial, and he could never start the cars that had that device. Had to have someone else move the cars.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
What would they do with a THREE ON THE TREE or a dimmer switch on the floor.

Or those push button radio stations settings. Push in to select and pull out to set. I can see the kids now just turning the dial (or asking WTH that dial is for) so they can find new stations to listen to!

:;:muahaha

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Grew up on a farm. Yes I know how to drive a stick shift. Even farm vehicles are getting away from manual shifting. Hydrostatic drive is pretty common on tractors and combines, as are automatics in big trucks. Driving a stick shift is becoming a lost art.

How many remember the fun of driving a muscle car with a 4-speed? those were the days.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I used to think this would be something important to teach my kids but were at the point that only a few sport ATVs, some old machinery (which I have), motorcycles, and some sports cars actually use a manual clutch anymore; and to that, those are slowly going by the wayside. Even in the sports car world, the manual is going way of the dodo bird as the new tech, dual clutch, 8-10 speed autos destroy even the best trying to row there own gears. I will say there is something satisfyingly about the mechanical connection a person has with a manual, unfortunately they've lost any advantage they ever had, be it reliability, Fuel Economy, Speed, etc. Ram was the last to offer a handshaker connected to the 6.7 CTD and to get it, you had to buy the "de-tuned" version as the Auto could hold more power, and that was like 3-5 years ago already. Hell, when we took my buddy's Hell Cat for a spin and I question why he bought one with an auto, one 0-130 mph run with "launch control" activated proved the point well that there is no way in gods green earth any person could manually outshift the auto version of that car. F'k, it's a handful as it sits, lol.

- - - Updated - - -

In reference to the to the Hell Cat, "all testing was conducted on a closed course with a professional driver" ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

forgot to add, yes that person needs their man card revoked!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Me at the old age of 35. 2004 Dodge 6 speed bout in 2006 only got 135,000 on it
Me too. 2005 Ford F250 with 6 speed manual and lock-out hubs. Bought new and have 73000 on it. Regular cab 8' box. Can leave it anywhere unlocked and will still be there when I come back. Not just because its a FORD.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 57
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55